BC Boards

agility classes at 7 months? Should I be concerned?

My training facility offers there agililty classes at 7 1/2 months and older. Should I pick I new place for agility? I'm scared that if they tell me to start this young, that they might not impress safety as much.

Family dog center

I can't go to any of the other agility places around here. The next closest one is a koehler oriented one (ughhhh) and the other one I have to be 16....

Well yeah--if the agility classes include the same activities as adult classes do! But if the puppy classes are all about short and sweet sessions, about ground work and basic obedience and introduction to the equipment then they might be fun as well as safe and sane.

I think before you sign up or run like heck in the other direction you should find out what exactly is offered. Anything that strikes you as excessive for baby dogs most likely is.

Chris O

Go observe a puppy agility class (or one with a puppy in it). If they are doing all work on the flat, and basic foundation stuff (mostly tunnels and 4" jumps, tippy boards, or not on equipment) than that is OK. Don't be afraid to ask what the class would involve for a younger dog.

It is good to start really young, as long as you are careful. I would inquire more, if you still don't like it after more questions are answered - find another place or wait until she is older.

I started River in actual class at 9 months. It's 8 wks, once a week, an hour each time. She learned target, was introduced to all the obstacles and when she did jumps it was 4-8" off the ground (she will compete at 20"). River ended up repeating the class because she was afraid of the teeter and actual size dog walk (she did fine on the short training one).

That kind of class would be appropriate. Esp if the instructor encourages low and limited jumping for growing pups.

Training for agility began at 8wks for River with me being the automated treat machine to keep her attention on me and nothing else for example. Also to touch hand, etc.

abby started agiltiy at 10months and had one of the best teachers she was a coach on the usa world agility team

it was only a 4 week class we repeated it with a 8week class and quit because of the new trainers and they had no idea what to do and had abby doing contacts at 20" at 12 months old also these trainers only had her training with the large odgs that we much older than her.

just be careful in the class and know your pups limits and don't push them to had they are just babies at this age

ooo, I too would be very concerned about this particular class. I am not sure if anyone else actually clicked on your link but if one carefully observes what is on that site, it seems they are offering 2 types of classes for a 7-1/2 month puppy. One seems relatively harmless, called Agility Conditioning but the other!~**! for a 7-1/2 month puppy way too soon, I think. A puppy needs to have confidence and needs to outgrow enough fear factors and sensitivity; but to do a DOGWALK and TEETER at 7-1/2 months is very bad. Plus it's not good for their joints at that young of an age. A very sensitive puppy can really be traumatized and won't ever go near agility equipment if it has to deal with the heights of a dogwalk or that teeter BANG! and sudden tip. I happen to have a rather bold puppy, but have read quite a few stories of spooked dogs who were pushed by unskilled trainers. Also home training is one of your best allies. You can take it at the puppy's pace and spend quality time with her. When my puppy Eluane started her home training all she has was her chute, her tunnel and her hula and my dining room chairs in my tiny apartment for "weaves" but when she joined her first real agility class at 10 months, she was so fantastic, a total natural! She learned her weaves instantly and flew through them like a tornado at her very first run, just like a pro, I was so shocked and pleased!!! Of course if you have a backyard even better! It is far better to wait and to get the right agility class than to go to the wrong one. Sloppy training and hobby trainers who do not have in-depth experience and knowledge of agility is not worth it and can even do damage.

Always get lots of good agility books and that wonderful Clean Run puppy agility article so you can identify what is a good class to attend. And always always visit the class before you sign up. Again home training is actually a super and ideal option too if you've done enough research.

UPDATE:

I found out in more depth yesterday what's going on....

foundation work such as twist, go out, concentration stuff, walking on leash (for agility? :rolleyes: ) naming obstacles, sequencing obstacles, learning the obstacles at low jumphights, according to the age and height of the smallest dog, and everything is taken at the specific handler (and dogs) case. If you're not ready to go offleash like the rest, you should stay on leash.

All in all, I think I should stay. They skip higher jump heights until about 9 months and above, and the 7 monthers are only for the fundamentals.

Sounds like they're on the right track - and you just need to be your dog's advocate, and not be tempted to go too far too soon. Remember you want to be competing and having fun with her in 9 or 10 years time, so spending a bit more time on fundamentals is a good thing - even if it doesn't seem so exciting - the rewards come down the track.

The walking on lead thing makes sense, actually. At an agility trial, or even at training, you're going to want to be able to walk with your dog on leash from one place to another, and not have them go crazy with excitement - you want to harness that excitement for the course itself. Nice loose leash walking in a highly exciting and aroused environment is not a given for many dogs - it is something that needs to be trained. You will be grateful later. :rolleyes:

So, are you going to do it? Nykie will be 4 months old when she's in the class that I'm putting her in. It's set up pretty much the same way as the one you're talking about. I'm mostly doing it for socializing and introducing to the course. A good friend of mine is the instructor, so I know that safety is her biggest concern, plus if I don't feel comfortable with anything, I can avoid doing that, or I can take Nykie with me strictly for socializing and put Dreamer (my 16 month old Sheltie) in the class in place of Nykie, which I've been thinking about doing anyway. Haven't decided yet, though. :rolleyes: