Kip's Having Puppies...

71 replies to this topic

#41 kajarrel

kajarrel

• Registered Users
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

So sorry, Aerie. My thoughts are with you . . .

Kim

#42 karrie

karrie

• Registered Users
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

I'm so sorry Kip, may you be watch over your little ones from up high. Aerie, (((((HUGS)))) you have a tuff job ahead and little to know time for grieving. I wish you lived close to me, I would be happy to help nurse and stimulate the pups. I've done it with kittens, so I know the job ahead of you. I'll keep ya'll in my prayers. Rest when you can. May all the pups have Kip's spirit ~she gave her all and didn't stop till the job was done. Pardon the tears on my keyboard.

#43 KrisK

KrisK

a wannabe retiree

• Registered Users
  • 4,340 posts
  • Interests:dogs, gardens, homesteading..

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:11 PM

Aerie, I am so sorry that Kip couldn't stay with you and her pups. She sounded like a real big hearted lass. Thank you for loving Kip and now her pups. I am glad that she knew what real love was before leaving for the bridge.

Cricket, BC, mistress of the household
Dusty, the foundling, being as good as his DNA will allow
Flint, BC,  a sparky pup

Spark. BC - can we PLEASE play ball? 
Jazz (my heartdog - April 1999-April 2010)
Zachary, my little ironman (July 1994-April 2012)
Brandy (a good dog - 1983-1999)
He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds

#44 laurie etc

laurie etc

• Registered Users
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:16 PM

Aerie - I'm so sorry for the loss of your Kip. May I suggest you talk to your vet about the possibility of him showing you how to tube feed the pups (much more efficient than bottle feeding), and/or looking for a "surrogate mom" for them - maybe a bitch that has recently lost or weaned her pups and still has milk. I doesn't matter what breed, as long as she accepts them... (recently helped a friend find a surrogate mother for a rough collie pup whose mom rejected her and killed the rest of the litter- my friend ended up finding her a Whippet mom that raised the collie with the rest of her litter just fine.

#45 Aerie

Aerie

It's So Simplex

• Registered Users
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

First of all, I have to say thank you all for your kind words. You've no idea how much your support means.

Laurie - the vet and I discussed tube feeding today. For now, I'm doing the bottle thing just because it's easier to do while i'm answering the phones at work. If they gain weight steadily, I'll stick with that, but if they aren't thriving i'll switch immediately. Also - I've got every vet in the city on the lookout for a surrogate mommy. I was amazed - 8 vets and none new of any lactating lovelies? Geez.

So far, the puppies are doing fine. They each gained at least an ounce, and THANKFULLY they got the first milk from Kip. Sweetheart that she is, she stuck around till she gave them the best of what she could.

I'll keep you all updated as the days go by - and I'm sure i'll be popping on here to beg for help at some point.

And now, I'm off again to feed puppies.

I am SO glad my boss is understanding. Think she'll let me take a nap tomorrow?

Posted Image
Loving my pups - the amazingly prim and proper Recon and Lady Sage.

#46 Annette Carter & the Borderbratz

Annette Carter & the Borderbratz

• Registered Users
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

Aerie,

I'm so sorry. You were so concerned from the very beginning. Hugs to you.

#47 Miztiki

Miztiki

• Registered Users
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:43 PM

Bless your heart Aerie. I hope all five pups are able to live out the happy life like their mother should have. How sad that she didn't make it. Very sad.

#48 SQinAZ

SQinAZ

• Registered Users
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

I am so very, very sorry to hear about Kip. Bless you, Aerie, for taking her in and making her last weeks on this earth memorable for the love and caring you gave her. I'm crying right now because this was one of those stories that was supposed to have an "and they lived happily ever after" ending. *sniff*

R.I.P., Kip. And Aerie, bless you again for your kind heart and what you did for Kip, and for now taking care of her pups.

#49 Tassie

Tassie

• Registered Users
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:33 PM

Coming in late from the other side of the world to add my blessings on you, Aerie for giving poor little Kip the chance to know that there are good dog-loving humans in the world. What a shame she didn?t make it ? but you sure gave her the very best chance ? as you?re now doing for her kids. Good luck to you.
Barb

#50 donna frankland (uk)

donna frankland (uk)

• Registered Users
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

you poor thing, and poor kip, and the puppers!
i just dont know what to say :rolleyes:
love and hugs
donna and tikki
Posted Image

'i still remember the day you said
that the river flowing through my head
would take me far or leave me dead
and all you said was true'

http://whatthedogsdid.blogspot.com/

#51 laurie etc

laurie etc

• Registered Users
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:22 AM

Aerie - What little cuties! I hope everything's still going fine this morning. It's great that your boss understands and will let you do what needs to be done and work it around your job. I'm sure you're feeling very sleep deprived at this point. A friend of mine raised 14 St. Bernard pups years ago when she lost the mom during a C-section. She and her husband had to take leaves of absence and stay home to feed pups full time for 3 weeks. We just don't give these bitches enought credit for all they do - they make it look easy.
One thing I thought of - and your vet probably already mentioned this. Make sure the pups are keeping warm - since they don't have Kip to snuggle up to. They can't control their own body temps for the first week/10 days. They may need an outside heat source (heating pad, hot water bottle) to crawl to if they get chilled (lucky for them it's Summer and not Winter)or if they get too warm, a water-filled frozen 1 or 2 liter soda bottle works well to give them a cool spot. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that don't need to be taking space up on this list.

#52 kelpiegirl

kelpiegirl

• Registered Users
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:49 AM

Aerie:
I was shocked and sad to hear about Kippy. I do think that she gave her every last bit of life for those puppies, and that she waited for you to be there with her before she passed, speaks to her knowing that you and she had a special bond. Dogs are so unlike other animals in their loyalty and trust, I think she needed to know her pups were going to be taken care of before she could let go. You and she touched eachother in a very special way.
The pups need a strong mom now, and I know you can do it. We are all here for you.
Julie
Never wrestle with pigs, you only get dirty, and they like it.

http://kelpiematrix.blogspot.com/

#53 flrpwr52

flrpwr52

• Registered Users
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

I am so very sorry. It is so sad that she had to give her life for her pups.

God bless you for doing all you could and for taking care of those precious babies.

Please believe me when I say this, if I was closer I'd be right there trying to help.

Thank you for caring.

#54 jazzysmom

jazzysmom

• Registered Users
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:01 AM

Thanks to you Kip was loved during her last days here. You are truly an angel, as is Kip.

Godspeed Little Kip..

#55 Kitch

Kitch

• Registered Users
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:06 AM

This is just so sad and not the way it was supposed to happen....I just hope Kip is at peace now, knowing she could trust you with her babies.

Thank you for doing this.
Kerry
Dublin the Good, RN, CGC, TDI
Limerick the Bold
Sir Casey GoodDog, CGC, NEBCR alum
http://viewfromtheba...h.blogspot.com/

Rest in Peace, Fluffy (Apr 19, 1997 - Feb 7, 2007)

"A dog will look at you as if to say, 'What do you want me to do for you? Iíll do anything for you.' Whether a dog can, in fact, do anything for you ... is another matter. The dog is willing."

ó Roy Blount, Jr.

Posted Image

#56 Powder Puff

Powder Puff

• Registered Users
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:06 AM

Im so sorry about kip, i was just in the gallery looking at the pictures and then i came here and started reading and i cant believe the ending i hope all goes well with the pups.

#57 ErinKate

ErinKate

• Registered Users
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:06 AM

Also coming in late...
So very sorry. I know Kip thanks you for all you have done, and all you will be doing for her pups. Wish you were closer so we could take the pups in shifts. Good luck you you.

#58 IronHorse

IronHorse

I'd rather have an inch of a dog than miles of pedigree.

• Registered Users
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:As varied as the leaves on a tree and as simple as whats for dinner?

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:30 AM

Aerie,
You,Kip and her family are in my Prayers.
May the Great Spirit watch over and guide you all through this heartbreak and this blessing.
Although I have never had to surogate a newborn litter I have found some information that may be of help to you.
http://www.leerburg....ttlefeeding.htm

Like't'y Nenn"e
(Stay the Path)
Posted Image

#59 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

Aerie,

I wish I was closer so I could help in person, but my thoughts and prayers for you, Kip and the pups will have to do. If you need anything, or just a shoulder to cry on, pm me, I'll be more than happy to respond.

Hang in there, you're doing some wonderful stuff.

Ruth n the BC3

#60 sea4th

sea4th

• Registered Users
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:01 AM

Aerie,

I've been without a computer and can only sporadically read these boards, but what a heart & gut wrenching post to have read. Thank God she was with you where she lived, if only briefly, and died in your loving hands---and damn the bastards who allowed her to get into this condition.

I admire you for your heart and courage and a thank you for taking in this little dog who deserved better in her life, and finally got it with you.

I think there is a reason for everything, that Kip came into your life and presented you with these pups. It may not be evident now, but there's something bigger than any of us working here.

You have a tough road ahead of you with these little guys. The way I've seen people on this board come together, I think you won't totally be alone.
Vicki
"For the Love of Pete"
Think Dog

"Lord willing, and the creek don't rise"

Our Dogs Past & Present:
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/18267

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, ©2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.