BC Boards

Neighbour's dog sold for 'world record' price at Skipton

Just noticed that an 11 month old male pup, Bob, dog bred by one of my neighbours, Trevor Smith sold at Skipton for 4,000 guineas ( £4,200). Bob was sold on to a pet home but didn't setttle, so was taken on by a farmer in North Yorkshire at seven months - who then sold him to 'an anonymous scottish bidder' at Skipton.

The piece in our local paper (not the most reliable of sources) says that the highest ever paid for a dog of any age at Skipton was 4,100 guineas in 2004 for a two year old bitch.

Trevor must be feeling pretty fed up. It's a lot of money. But also, I wonder about the 'world record' bit. It's a lot of money for a pup - but world record?

Seems to me I've heard my dad talk about working Border Collies (Border Collie mixes?) selling for at least $8000 and up at western cattle auctions... I'm not sure what the conversion rate is between £ and $ though.

Hello everyone,

Here is the link to the story about Bob: http://www.farminguk.com/John-Bell-rings-u...ungster8011.asp

If I have it figured correctly, that's about $8,500 for an eleven month old pup! It is interesting that he has only been in training for four months, and he is already "trained up to full trial standard". Bob must be a really nice pup, but I hope that he won't be burned out by being brought along so quickly.

Regards to all,

nancy

$21K... holy buckets! I knew $8K seemed a little low to me, but I didn't want to make some outrageous claim if I didn't know the actual value... let's see a Barbie Collie sell for that much that's actually worth that much! haha...

While I fully understand the laws of economics, I also can't help thinking about the difference Four thousand odd quid would make to the rescue I volunteer with.

1,000 nights of emergency boarding fees, ( provided at cost by willing rescues or boarding kennels) for a start. :rolleyes:

I'm not quarreling with the principle - a great working prospect like Bob is just that and is worth what people will pay. Did make me think though.

Hello everyone,

Here is the link to the story about Bob: http://www.farminguk.com/John-Bell-rings-u...ungster8011.asp

If I have it figured correctly, that's about $8,500 for an eleven month old pup! It is interesting that he has only been in training for four months, and he is already "trained up to full trial standard". Bob must be a really nice pup, but I hope that he won't be burned out by being brought along so quickly.

Regards to all,

nancy

Thanks for the link Nancy. I have to agree, from a pet home to Bell to "fully trained" in 4 months. That's quite a bit of transitioning. Must be an exceptional pup, hope he lasts.

Karen

Haven't Border Collies been selling at Red Bluff for much more then $8,500 for years?

How are they claiming this pup "Bob" has set a worlds record??

Is it that the dogs sold at Red Bluff are classified as stockdogs? and this "Bob" is concidered a sheepdog?

The article points out that this is the highest price paid for a youngster under a year of age. Maybe it is also a claim for an ISDS dog. Looking at the prices listed, I'd say many of those average prices are bargains if they are for good quality dogs.

Hello everyone,

Haven't Border Collies been selling at Red Bluff for much more then $8,500 for years?

How are they claiming this pup "Bob" has set a worlds record??

Is it that the dogs sold at Red Bluff are classified as stockdogs? and this "Bob" is concidered a sheepdog?

I believe that the price is a world record paid for an eleven month old pup (not simply the highest price paid for a stockdog/sheepdog). The first line in the article reads:

"North Yorkshire sheep dog supremo John Bell smashed the world record price paid at an official sale for a young dog under one-year-old at Skipton Auction Mart's summer sale of working sheepdogs. (Friday, July 17)"

Does that make sense?

Regards.

nancy

Nancy,

Yes after re reading the article it does make sense.

I can't remember how old "Patch" was but didn't that dog bring $23,000 at Red Bluff in 07?

Of course I realize that he was a McCallum Border Collie and was listed as a stockdog.

(nice website btw)

Sue R. I would agree about the bargains if their quality dogs.

Just noticed that an 11 month old male pup, Bob, dog bred by one of my neighbours, Trevor Smith sold at Skipton for 4,000 guineas ( £4,200). Bob was sold on to a pet home but didn't setttle, so was taken on by a farmer in North Yorkshire at seven months - who then sold him to 'an anonymous scottish bidder' at Skipton.

The piece in our local paper (not the most reliable of sources) says that the highest ever paid for a dog of any age at Skipton was 4,100 guineas in 2004 for a two year old bitch.

Trevor must be feeling pretty fed up. It's a lot of money. But also, I wonder about the 'world record' bit. It's a lot of money for a pup - but world record?

[/quote

There's a link to a past Skipton sale(s) on Aled Owen's website I think.

Carolyn

Hi Iron Horse,

Nancy,

Yes after re reading the article it does make sense.

I can't remember how old "Patch" was but didn't that dog bring $23,000 at Red Bluff in 07?

Of course I realize that he was a McCallum Border Collie and was listed as a stockdog.

(nice website btw)

Sue R. I would agree about the bargains if their quality dogs.

According to the McCallum website, Patch did sell for $23,000 at the Red Bluff sale last year. Wow! My dad used to say that some people have more dollars than sense. But, a good stockdog is indeed a valuable asset to the stockman, so I imagine that the price was justified.

Regards,

nancy

PS: Thanks for the compliments on my website...glad that you liked it!

There must also be a disclaimer that this is the high price for a dog sold at auction. I personally know of dogs from the UK that have sold privately for more than $8500.

Queen Victoria's underpants just sold for that much ... talk about useless. Unless you have a boat and need to make a new main sail.