An ACL tear and TPLO journal

Sue R

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 December 2014 - 5 1/2 months post-surgery

Due to a lot of circumstances beyond my control, it's been a month since I was able to have Celt to Shari.

The short version of today's visit is her comment, "He's 12? Are you sure? He doesn't look or act 12!"

He did great. His weight was up to 44 1/2# but that was accompanied by his thighs bulking up just a little bit more to 39 1/2 cm each, a little more muscled than last time but, more importantly, still symmetrical, indicating that he is using both evenly. I was wondering also if he needed a pound or two more. You can't make muscle without the nutrition for it, and he's a good weight.

He did all his exercises well, 10" on the step-overs, improved sitting, good backing, nice two-legged dog, and good stairs. In fact, we both noticed that in the last month, his stair work has really improved to the point that you can see his old "bounce" is really back - not just in his walk and trot but also on the stairs, which really test a dog both going up and going down.

As for the treadmill, he did three five-minute sessions. He was much improved from last month, showing no evidence of tiring in the first two go-rounds (last month, he was surprisingly tired and she didn't run him past 4 1/2 minutes each time). He was showing a bit of being tired the third time but he was staying strong and even, just showing a bit more effort throughout his body, so she let him do the full 5 minutes even the last time.

The word for the upcoming weeks before we see her again in three weeks or so is, as she said, "Just what you've been doing because it seems to be just right!"

PS - I'm still over the moon at her questioning that he's 12...