BC Boards

Ever seen so much on a pink nose?

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a black and white pup with a pink nose. MY Border (named Phoenix) has got the biggest pink nose I've ever seen on a border collie. When we picked him out from the litter, the breeder informed us that his nose would eventually turn black, but per the vet, "What you see is usually what you get." Phoenix is 4 months of age and growing great, but that nose refuses to change color. My wife and I really don't want it to change color because we love him just the way he is, but we do realize that it will darken a bit. I've tried to do a bit of research to see if I could find any information on black and white Border's with pink noses but came empty handed. Any takers?

My girl Sierra's nose was mostly pink when I got her at about six months old. It has filled completely in but it took a while. She was about 5 yrs old when it finally did completely fill in.

I believe that some noses will fill in and some won't. You will want to be careful about the effects of sun on all that pink though!

If Phoenix' nose remains pink, I would suggest you do some research on nasal solar dermatitis aka collie nose. The collie breeds are known for a genetic component that leads to the unpigmented nose. These dogs can be fine or they can develop sun related disorders ranging from mild to serious. Also a lot of the pups that start out with the pink nose gradually gain pigmentation. Hopefully this will be the case with Phoenix but if not, there are some things you can do to help protect against sun damage.

We had a Great Dane who looked like she had a pink mustache across her nose when she was little. After several months the pink disappeared from the outside, but the inside of her nostrils was always pink.