BC Boards

Illi opoas Muscle Pulled

scullywags

As Sue said, once you get a diagnosis you can move forward with a treatment plan (if necessary), but in the meantime, leash-walking and not allowing over-exertion is a good plan.

My dog was diagnosed with an ileopsoas strain when he was 15-16 months old. I have no idea how long he was 'suffering' with it before diagnosis since he showed no issues (that I could see) in his hind end movement. The rehab vet suggested leash walks, etc. and gave me a series of exercises for the hind end. He was rehabbed for about 4 months and has shown no recurrence (he is now 5 1/2 and participates in agility).

Good Luck with Faith.

Jovi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jovi & Sue, for all the info. I am considering the possibility of an ACL tear. Also, in the first month Faith was with me she grew a little over three inches. I do wonder if the rapid growth rate has anything to do with this. It's leveled out now. At any rate, until we can get into the vet I am limiting Faith's exercise. Monday is the soonest she could see us. To keep Faith's brain occupied we've been working on identifying individual toys, bringing them to me or putting them in a specific place, and other random tasks & tricks.

I suppose what my brain is doing is "hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst".

Thanks again!

Also, in the first month Faith was with me she grew a little over three inches. I do wonder if the rapid growth rate has anything to do with this. It's leveled out now. Thanks again!

That certainly is a very rapid growth rate. I had a friend who had 2 children (of 5) that were plagued with joint pain during a rapid growth phase. The pain subsided after a while (I am assuming it subsided once their growth rate subsided and the body became used to its new structure.) I wonder if dogs can have a similar problem?

Jovi