BC Boards

Can Herding Dogs Only Be Taught To Herd?

Riika

I couldn't think of a good title for this post. I know they can be trained to do other stuff but let me explain.

I was once told that you should not train tricks or agility before beginning herding training. They said that it teaches the dog to focus on you-not something you want. I mean, of course he needs to be aware of you and listen to the commands but he shouldn't take his main focus off the cows.

Is there truth in this statement? It seems to me that cows would be such a major distraction that all his "focus" training would go down the drain and that wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks!

It depends on the dog and how much drive and want it has for livestock. Some, it won't matter what you teach them before taking them to livestock their drive to engage and control the livestock is so strong that there will be little to no adverse effects and actually a lot of training before you take them to stock can help you with your communication when you take them to stock.

Unfortunately, odds of getting one that is that strongly driven may be low so erroring on the side of caution by not teaching that dog to fixate and demand things from you is a good thing.

Also, depending on the dog, some have little to no interest in cattle and sheep trip their trigger. While the cattle are bigger, they often move slower, where as sheep are quicker which will heightened a dogs drive. Same with ducks, ducks can drive a super keen dog crazy, or a sensitive dog into sulling up or a dog that doesn't have a lot of interest just enough motion to get them to want to engage so that they can build drive. Anyway, it's all case by case.

I agree it depends on the dog. I don't know if simple tricks would be a problem, but sometimes agility can get very much in the way of herding training. Agility is fast, exciting and requires the dog to look at you and take a lot of cues directly from you, whereas stock work is more about shaping instinct to the livestock's movements, not your movements. In herding, your body language is only needed until the dog recognizes his commands. I know one person who has trained her dogs to do it all, but I've also seen dogs who were trained in agility first and when brought to livestock, they had no ability to slow down and think, and everything they did on sheep was at a thousand miles per hour.

If you are planning on cattle work, I would not mix the two. Cattle are slower moving than sheep and require a different sort of focus, a more assertive approach from the dog, and if he's used to looking at you and taking your physical cues, he could end up kicked in the head. And he might decide cattle are dull if he's used to the excitement of agility.

Just my thoughts. anyhow. :) There is no hard and fast answer, though and everyone's mileage and experience may vary.

~ Gloria