BC Boards

A flood of working dog pictures

juliepoudrier

I will also talk to my friend, Ray, who works for a large printing company. They are the ones that print "The Chronicle of the Horse" each week. He may be able to help or at least point us in the right direction of someone who can.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you also include dogs doing real work but just not in a trial setting in your photos submitted for competition? Some dogs work but don't trial significantly.

One idea, to include more pictures, is the concept of a full page picture like in a regular calendar, and then some smaller pictures on the "blank dates" of the month, or in the margins of the calendar page.

That would provide space for those absolutely fabulous photos that Denise and Christine take (and you, too, Mark) and some less "wow" pictures that show good dogs working well, also.

Of course, I have no personal interest in seeing you include less professional and exciting pix!

Plus, the calendar could include on the actual calendar page itself, dates and basic info for trials in this part of the country. It would make a nice way to plan out your trialling year (even for us spectators). Maybe a margin area for trials that don't have set dates but are normally held in a particular month.

Christine,

I bet there would be more interest in a working dog calendar than you suspect. And I'm sure they could be marketed at a number of places, including Littlehats and maybe even AHBA's web site (and didn't I read somewhere that USBCHA has plans for an online store?). I for one wouldn't object to a b&w calendar--sometimes the two-color format makes for much more striking photos. (I used to get a cat calendar that was b&w, and the photos were absolutely gorgeous--think of some of RDM's photos that have been posted on these boards).

I also like Sue's idea of the main photo plus one or more smaller photos if for no other reason than to increase the number of photos that can be included. And a good mix of trial and farm photos would also be quite appropriate.

And on a more self-interested note, I do hope you'll do photos at more places than just Lena's trial, since I won't be there (and T, K, and J would like to be calendar girls)!

J.

Sue, of course, any working shots would be great, not just trial photos. And the more pictures we can get on there the better.

And that is a good suggestion about including trials on the calendar, but there are so many all over the country that certain weekends would have so much information on there. It would be different if it was a "regional" calendar or like NEBCA does their own and just includes NE trials, but then limiting it to a regional or club calendar limits who will buy it.

Julie, I have my camera at every trial so depending on my running schedule, the weather (too sunny makes photos too contrasty), and the distance I am away from the action - I'm usually shooting. Denise, and now Mark with Denise's old camera, will do the same.

If we can get all the particulars together (cost, minimum order, lead time, sale price, etc.) for Lena I think she could be interested. In fact, did ABC do a calendar years ago? Does anyone recall that?

Christine, I guess one thing I would love about a calendar like this (other than the fantastic photos) would be seeing the captions. It would be great to see the photo of, say, "Robin French and Gael at the single at Edgeworth, October 2004, photo by Mark Billadeau".

Being able to put faces to names, and dogs to handlers, a situation in a dog's run, and pictures of trial fields - wonderful! That is, if you don't plan on anonymity.

I do understand the marketability of a calendar with a national rather than regional appeal. If a regional calendar was a possibility, then including trial dates, clinic dates, etc., would be neat.

If this can become reality, put me down for buying a couple for myself and family! How can I help?

• 9 months later...

Bumping this up for Kelpiegirl. Many of these shots are so small or at odd angles so it will be difficult to really see structure. I'm on dial-up right now so can't afford the time to search out other similar threads. But if you use the search function and search the gallery using "working dogs" or perhaps just "working" you will find a bunch of threads. Especially look for photos by Denise Wall and Christine Koval (I believe Mark Billadeau has some too) because those will include some very nice close ups of working dogs doing their thing.

Julie P.