BC Boards

missing jumps (I think on purpose)

BeezSK

Out of the blue my dog has decided to just walk around some jumps. Usually if they're part of a tight sequence. She never used to miss jumps at all (this seems to be the obstacle of the week :rolleyes: ). Usually it'll happen that she'll go around the jump on the far side away from me and then make mad counter-clockwise circles until I can sit her down and get her pointed back at the jump. What are some ideas for fixing this behavior? I was thinking maybe a long light line that I could hang onto and pull her back towards me when I see she is pulling away from taking the jump?

First, make SURE that it is not a pain thing.

I would go back to square 1 (calling over a line of jumps)in jump training and work back up (quickley, like 2 weeks) to where you were.

Dazzle did something like that a few weeks ago - with her it was because her commitment point had changed (the point where they become committed to an obstacle and will do it regardless of what you do). Now I have to wait until she takes off before changing my signal otherwise she will avoid it. So also make sure that YOU are not causing her go around them.

If you are sure that it is one of those "nah nah nah - I don't have to" things, then a small correction (taking her the collar and put her over the jump) might be in order. Peanut (shih tzu) was getting like that and after a few corrections was back to normal. But, as always with Agility, use corrections as a LAST option.

Hope that helps.

ok I will give those a try. It's not a pain thing as 10 minutes after the training session was over she was chasing a golden retriever puppy at full speed around the course and flying over the 24inch jumps that were left up from the big dogs running (gotta cut those puppies off and herd them into a corner y'know :rolleyes: )

When a dog misses a jump, it's usually either the handler not cueing properly and in time, or the dog is missing some foundation work on jump commitment. It could also be stress-related. Have an experienced handler or instructor watch you and offer advise. It's really impossible to diagnose over the 'net.