BC Boards

5st Annual Bluegrass Classic SDT

The 51st annual Bluegrass Classic SDT is fast approaching and in this day of high costs for many necessities, the Bluegrass has more need than ever of the support of people everywhere who appreciate the working Border Collie, and trialing as an important way to prove the dogs and help keep the breed strong and useful.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Bluegrass, it is one of North American's oldest, largest, and most prestigious trials. As one judge from the British Isles said to me, "It is truly a National-level trial" in its scope and quality. If you are fortunate enough to live where you can come to Lexington KY between May 16 - 20, you would be able to witness for yourself a trial of dimensions whose equal is found at only a handful of trials in North America, and rarely in the eastern states in these days. And, if you can, volunteers are always welcomed (see our website www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com for more information and to offer to volunteer your time and talents).

There are many levels at which a person, company, group, or organization can support the Bluegrass. One particularly suitable way is a full (or half) page ad memorializing or recognizing a favorite dog, handler, or trainer from the past or present. In addition, there are class sponsorships and trophy/ribbon sponsorships available.

Here is the sponsorship level page information:

$3000 Gold Sponsor (Trial name will include yours for all advertising purposes, your ad will appear on the program's back cover, you will be our guest of honor at the dinner and awards ceremony.)

$1000 Silver Sponsor (Your name will appear on all advertising, your full-page advertisement will appear prominently in the program, and you will be an honored guest at the dinner and award ceremony.)

$500 Open Class I Sponsor (Your name will appear in the program beside the class listing, and you will receive a free full page advertisement in the program.)

$200 Nursery Sponsor (Indicate day preference: Wed., Thurs., Fri., Sat.) (Your name will appear in our program beside the class listing, and you will receive a free advertisement in the program.)

$150 Ranch Class Sponsor (Indicate day preference: Fri., Sat.) (Your name will appear in our program beside the class listing, and you will receive a free advertisement In the program.)

$150 Novice or Pro-Novice Class Sponsor (Indicate day preference: Wed., Thurs.) (Your name will appear in our program beside the class listing, and you will receive a free advertisement in the program.)

$50 Trophy and Ribbon Sponsor (Your name will appear on the trophy and will be listed in the program.) Please state if you have a class preference:____________________________

$_______ Amount for the General Trophy Fund. Your name will be listed in the Catalog.

$100 Full Page ad in our program (ad size: 4-1/4" wide x 7" high)

$50 Half Page ad in our program (ad size: 4-1/4" wide x 3-1/4" high)

Sponsorships can be made in honor of or in memory of a dog, trainer, handler, etc.

Sponsorships are on a first come first served basis. Deadline is April 20, 2012.

Sponsorships may be made by contacting me, Sue Rayburn, at susan dot rayburn at gmail dot com or by PM through these boards. No level of support is insignificant, and any and every level is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of going to this. It's far for me, but it's an opportunity to see Border Collies work at a high level. I've never seen it in person. It's my idea of a great weekend but not anyone else I know, so I was going to go by myself (fly in) and perhaps volunteer. Sue, any info on hotels in the area and who I should contact to volunteer?

Anyone else going? :)

I was thinking of going to this. It's far for me, but it's an opportunity to see Border Collies work at a high level. I've never seen it in person. It's my idea of a great weekend but not anyone else I know, so I was going to go by myself (fly in) and perhaps volunteer. Sue, any info on hotels in the area and who I should contact to volunteer?

Anyone else going? :)

Wonderful!

This trial runs for five days - Wed and Thurs are the first Open class on the big field; Fri and Sat are the second Open class on the big field. Wed through Sat are four Nursery classes on the Novice field; Novice and ProNov are run on two consecutive days on the Novice field; and Ranch is run on two consecutive days on the Novice field.

Sunday is the day when the top 17 teams (combined Open I and Open II) compete on the big Open field in a double-lift, International-style finals. A judge from across the pond told me one year that the Bluegrass was the equivalent of any of their National Finals, and it is an amazing trial.

At the website, www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com, you can find lots of information and there is also a page with contact information for volunteering. No experience needed for many jobs as you will get on-the-job training. All volunteers are appreciated! And, if you can't volunteer in advance, check in at the White House (small white trailer near the tents by the Open field) - we can always use last-minute offers. Under "handler info", there is information about camping (must have a solid-sided camper to camp on site) and hotels in the area.

Hope to see you there! You can find me either working at the White House, or scribing for a judge, or doing something else...

I'm going! :)

This will be my first time at the trial, too. Information on hotels and volunteering is on the bluegrass website.

We can always use more volunteers! Most volunteer jobs are right where you can watch all the action, and shifts are kept reasonably short so you have plenty of free time.

I hope to meet you there!

I have offered to volunteer already! Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you! :). I am running a dog on novice, too.

Good for you - looking forward to meeting you there!

Best wishes on your runs!

• 4 weeks later...

I will--or maybe once in while you'll be allowed to come down to eat and socialize?--or do you take all your meals and set up camp up there? Too bad I'm not running a dog--I have seen handlers run up to the top before......

That field is such a narrow one (One of the reasons I decided not to run this year was I don't like that field all that much; it's such a different feel than the open field)

Robin, I was really disappointed in the novice field the first time I went to the BG. And I understand that now the field has been made even smaller. The real challenge of the Bluegrass is the open field.

Anyway, typically we don't come down from the top unless the entire trial takes a break for lunch (and even then we usually take such breaks as a chance to walk dogs, etc.), and I don't think they do that at the BG.

J.

I plan to take my little camera and try to get some pictures from the top, as long as it doesn't interfere with my job to do so. I'll get Debbie (working the pens) to take pictures too. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks at the other end of the field taking photos....

J.