BC Boards

Video How-To

OK, I would love to be able to take an online training class, but am a total failure at video, editing, posting etc. Well, actually, I can take a video, but doing the editing and posting has always been beyond me. I am not too bad at other technology stuff, but this has got me flummoxed.

Can anyone point me to on-line instructions for editing and posting - specifically written for a novice?

Does anyone do this all on their phone? Or do you have to transfer the video from your phone/camera to the computer to edit, etc? So I am looking for apps, cloud resources, websites, etc. - whatever works to get this done.

I have an Android phone and a pocket (but quite decent) camera/video. I might be able to get my hands on an iPad (which seems to be very popular for this type of activity), but am not sure.

Any other tips would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I do everything on my phone now. When I started taking online classes, I used to upload to my computer and edit on there but it was time consuming compared to what I do now. I do use all mac products but I know you can do similar with android. I have found editing on my phone is quick and I get my video up and posted fast. When I was using my laptop, I got behind as did not get as much out of the class as I should have.

I recently bought a little 3 legged tripod for my phone as the biggest challenge I was having was balancing the phone and that's working really well. I prefer my iPhone over my IPad for filming, I just find the size of the iPad chunky when outside, I do occasionaly edit on my IPad as the screen is bigger.

What app do you use on your iPhone for editing? I find I have so much footage to wade through that I thought it would be harder to edit on my phone then on the computer!

I just use IMovie, a few years ago it did not work so well, so I used IMovie on my computer but found it cumbersome. I now edit straight away on my phone and delete the originals straight away. This has prevented me from getting overwhelmed by videos. If I was making something polished I would use my computer, but for fast editing for online classes it works really well.

Apparently you can do some video editing on Youtube, and I am sure you can upload a video from your phone to Youtube.

I don't personally know how to do it. Some of the All Dogs Parkour folks are doing their video editing on Youtube, but I am still working on Windows Movie Maker on my laptop. But I do know it can be done.

I'll bet you could find instructions online . . .

I just use IMovie, a few years ago it did not work so well, so I used IMovie on my computer but found it cumbersome. I now edit straight away on my phone and delete the originals straight away. This has prevented me from getting overwhelmed by videos. If I was making something polished I would use my computer, but for fast editing for online classes it works really well.

Ahhh, I tried it a few years ago and thought it more work than just using my computer. Maybe I'll try again.

Sorry, about lack of response in above post. I am just trying to find a method that is fairly quickly and simple ( simple being the operative word.) There fewer steps, the better - but if I have to use the computer, I am fine with that.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread :-).

Ahhh, I tried it a few years ago and thought it more work than just using my computer. Maybe I'll try again.

That was my feeling a few years ago, I started using it again last year and for fast quick edits it works really well, all my online classes are in Facebook groups and I can to everything on my phone, much quicker than uploading to my computer.

mickif- don't worry about hijacking. I wanted to know all views about this topic.

I like the idea of doing everything on my phone. If for training purposes, I only need a 'quick and dirty' .

Surfing the Internet, I found quite a few Android smartphone apps. It appears that they have become much better and user-friendly in the last year. I have decided to try Adobe Premier Clip.

Fingers crossed.