BC Boards

Dog Crate Size?

I'm trying to get my head round the idea that anyone should expect to have space for all their paraphernalia at shows. We travel light here and we don't have crating areas. Outdoors some people will have a chair by the ring but that is it. Not even that indoors.

Where I am we have a lot of open space available to us and the trials I tend to go to/have gone to thus far aren't huge. I am admittedly spoiled. I don't LIKE feeling at all confined. I am fine with it when there isn't a set up indoors, because the whole place becomes 'my space' and it's not cramped at all - it's just a bunch of people in a huge building together. Outdoors, I feel more restricted to my 'spot' and it bothers me more. I don't even know what that is, but it IS.

That said, a ton of people crate out of cars and at my last trial I did that on the second day and it worked better for the dog, anyway, simply because the space for her to decompress was further away from the action.

I have 2 crates, 1 hard and one soft.

http://www.amazon.com/EliteField-Beige-3-Door-Soft-Crate/dp/B004ABH1LG/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447202908&sr=1-4&keywords=soft+crate+for+large+dogs

42” long x 28”wide x 31”tall

I love this crate, and Maid loves it too. She stands 31" (to the tops of her ears,) and it comes with a nice, washable fake fleece pad. Sets up, tears down in seconds and has a soft case with handles. It folds really flat and takes seconds to set up. I have used it in the car - my go-to transport person has a brand-new van and is persnickety about dog hair, etc. Both my dogs can lie down without crowding in this crate. Opens on the side, the front and the top.

post-10533-0-13512100-1447203591_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-57933800-1447203652_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-60708600-1447203690_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Kennel-Pets-90-Pound-Light/dp/B003E6YYYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447203143&sr=1-1&keywords=petmate+sky+kennel+for+large+dogs

40”long x 27”wide x 30”tall

I like this crate very much too. It's rated for airline travel and eliminates the worry that Maid would chew her way out, like she could with the soft crate.

post-10533-0-36445300-1447203962_thumb.jpg

Both crates are bigger than they need to be for my 45/50 lb dogs, but it's nice to have one they can go into together. (the soft one.) And it's easy to store, even in my small place. :)

The crate in the bottom picture is not the one I have, but it opens at the end the same way. Mine has a zippered mesh panel on the top.

post-10533-0-16767600-1447203707_thumb.jpg

I have only been to a few trials, but using a gazebo that is 3m by 3m, we have had up to four 36 inch crates under cover with room for three or more people to sit in front. I tend to use the top of my wire crate as a table for bag, catalogue, water container, food etc, which you can't do with a soft crate. I always share my gazebo with a friend (we went halfsies on buying it) and we have always had room to share with other friends.

I also find that the wire crate, when folded flat, fits nicely into the boot (aka trunk) of my mid-size hatchback.

My boy is 21.5 inches tall at the shoulder and probably weighs about 50lbs (going to the vet for his annual check up/vaccination today, so will know for sure after he is weighed then). I tend not to fuss about weight so much as condition.

I almost always crate out of my truck, but when I can't, I use a variety of soft crate type things because I clearly have a problem with Amazon Prime and impulse control.

This tent weighs less than 2lbs and fits nicely in my suitcase. I took it to Tennessee for Cynosport. It's nice to have a second crate when you fly, so that you can keep one in the car. It's also big enough for two dogs (assuming they get along, of course).

IMG_0587_zpsffg88fy0.jpg

This poor little pop up crate has seen better days, but it still works. Mostly.

[IMG_0093_zpscgcebs8y.jpg

This pop up tent is 8' by 8', and I can get 4 crates and a chair in it, though it's a little crowded. This photo is from 2014, before Bar, so there's only three crates in it. Did I mention I prefer to crate out of my truck??

coleman-popup_zpsyn7dz2pj.jpg

Size-wise, my large border collie (24" at the shoulder) gets either a 36" soft crate or he shares the sport tent with Wick. The smaller collies (all around 20" at the shoulder) have 30" soft crates and they seem fine.

I guess I'm a bit of a space hog. Tex (20" and 35lbs) has a 42" Guardian Gear crate. Admittedly, it's huge....but #1) I purchased two of them for $50 total, #2) Tex has a pretty big personal space bubble (with unknown dogs) and #3) he's hot natured and really likes to spread out. So this crate is perfect for him. (I try to minimize our footprint by putting a few of my things inside the GG. And I do feel better, when we're all day at a trial, he has the option to stretch out or curl up. Faith (18" and 28lbs) likes to curl up in her 30" Noz2Noz crate.

Thank you guys for the feedback. Now to find a soft sided one that's not super expensive. I haven't been able to find a lot of places that have ones for bigger dogs. Any suggestions? I don't mind if they're used. Amazon would be great except that I live in Canada which apparently makes all the crates cost twice as much. <_<