BC Boards

Dogs Remember What You Do, Even When They Aren't Supposed To

Scientific validation for what those of us who live with dogs -- especially border already know. B)

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/dogs-remember-what-you-do-even-when-they-aren-t-n687791

The title should read:

Dogs Remember What You Do, Especially When They Aren't Supposed To

... and yes, as a border collie person, it's not news at all.

I sometimes go walk the dog around a lake that's distant enough that we don't go there very often. Sara, my portuguese sheepdog, would fetch a stick into the water when we went there, and 2 weeks later, when we returned there and I asked her to go find the stick, she would search the area and bring me the stick we had been playing with before. Not only did she remember what we had been doing but also, great sense of smell!

The title should read:

Dogs Remember What You Do, Especially When They Aren't Supposed To

:lol: :lol:

My dogs, right from the first dogs I ever had (and the very first was a not-especially-eager-to-please pointer/retriever cross) always understood the secondary cue "What did I ask you to do?" . . . which was delivered, of course, after they, um, declined to respond to whatever cue I'd given in the first place. And it didn't matter what the original cue was; they performed the original request accurately, rarely, if ever, indicating any confusion about what the original cue had been. B)

My dogs, right from the first dogs I ever had (and the very first was a not-especially-eager-to-please pointer/retriever cross) always understood the secondary cue "What did I ask you to do?" . . . which was delivered, of course, after they, um, declined to respond to whatever cue I'd given in the first place. And it didn't matter what the original cue was; they performed the original request accurately, rarely, if ever, indicating any confusion about what the original cue had been.

This reminds me of an email exchange with the adopter of one of my fosters, Tad. The lady asked what commands he understood and I replied, listing among other things the different meanings (according to the intonation) of his name.

She replied: >> The only one I haven't used is your "Do what I just told you to do"

... and my response was:

Dogs pass all verbal input through the "Does he really mean it" filter, so if I am sure the dog heard me and understands the command, I never repeat it; I simply use their name in a scolding tone. That's the "Do what I just told you to do" form of the dog's name. The fact that it invariably works, shows that the dog heard the command; understood it, but chose to ignore it. Selective hearing, in other words.

My dogs understand the meaning of "What did I say?" in all its different intonations.

Yep.....in my household it is "Hey! What did I just say?" It is always so funny to me how sheepish they look while obeying the first thing I told them to do after I say that. I can't even be irritated with them because it's so funny.