BC Boards

Please help with stay?

Can you click with your tongue? Do you have a retractable pen that clicks? Both of those can work and have been used successfully

In fact, many clickers are too loud IMHO. The first dog I tried to clicker train (about 18 years ago) was very fearful of many things and was terrified of the clicker. (Note: most dogs are fine with the clicker.) I ended up using a retractable pen for the click sound - and even then, I had to keep it in my pocket to muffle its sound. Remember, dogs have excellent hearing.

Also note: if you click with your tongue, you always have your 'clicker' with you, and it doesnt take up any 'hand space'.

In fact, many clickers are too loud IMHO. The first dog I tried to clicker train (about 18 years ago) was very fearful of many things and was terrified of the clicker. (Note: most dogs are fine with the clicker.)

The original clickers were (are) very loud, even for me. I also had a dog who developed an intense fear of them.

There are newer clickers that aren't so sharp and loud. Karen Pryor clickers are a softer click and I don't find them nearly so annoying. I believe there are other brands as well.

The other suggestions are good too. I often do a mouth click, especially when I want to mark a behavior and just don't have the clicker with me.

Dear Ms. Chick-N-Picker,

If you are having success with your clicker, by all means continue with it. I've always taught my working sheepdogs their stay by looming over them (they'll submit) with open hands followed by a quick okay so they can zoom for a moment before repeating the lesson. A couple short sessions. Next day repeat, back up slowly a few feet repeating the stay, blocking with hands) release. Lengthen the distance and time. Finally, when there are ewes and lambs in the barn, bring the dog into the corner and put him on a stay. The ewes will threaten and stamp and he'll want to scurry off so keep an eye on him and don't make him stay too long. Once he learns they can't get out of their pens to hurt him, he'll stay all day.

The stay is useful when training another dog. It is useful in the big world when loading the car in the motel parking lot or needing the dog to stay in the vet's reception while I leave and go around the corner to use the facilities.

It isn't hard to train and there's lots of ways to do it.

Donald McCaig

Dear Ms. Chick-N-Picker,

If you are having success with your clicker, by all means continue with it. I've always taught my working sheepdogs their stay by looming over them (they'll submit) with open hands followed by a quick okay so they can zoom for a moment before repeating the lesson. A couple short sessions. Next day repeat, back up slowly a few feet repeating the stay, blocking with hands) release. Lengthen the distance and time. Finally, when there are ewes and lambs in the barn, bring the dog into the corner and put him on a stay. The ewes will threaten and stamp and he'll want to scurry off so keep an eye on him and don't make him stay too long. Once he learns they can't get out of their pens to hurt him, he'll stay all day.

The stay is useful when training another dog. It is useful in the big world when loading the car in the motel parking lot or needing the dog to stay in the vet's reception while I leave and go around the corner to use the facilities.

It isn't hard to train and there's lots of ways to do it.

Donald McCaig

That's MR. Chick-N-Picker haha. The name comes from a guitar style (country) that I primarily play.

Thank you for the advice. I'm doing 1-2 sessions a day and it appears to be working.