BC Boards

Are sunflower seeds toxic for dogs

Kyna

Hi,

I'd like to put a bird feeder up but birds can be messy and the place I would like to put it overhangs the deck where the dogs spend time. Is it okay if the dogs eat some of the dropped bird seeds?

Thanks,

Kyna

Hi,

I'd like to put a bird feeder up but birds can be messy and the place I would like to put it overhangs the deck where the dogs spend time. Is it okay if the dogs eat some of the dropped bird seeds?

Thanks,

Kyna

I would worry more about them being around a lot of bird poop. Who knows what little critters live in bird poop.

Many dog foods have ground seed or oil in them, so I would hope not!

I think macadamia nuts are the problematic ones. I have a question about pistacio for some reason, but otherwise I'm not aware of any other bad seeds or nuts. Let me know when you are setting out macadamia or pistacios for your birds and I'll be on my way over wearing my cardinal suit. :rolleyes:

.... Let me know when you are setting out macadamia or pistacios for your birds and I'll be on my way over wearing my cardinal suit. :D

Ha Ha! .... I wasn't sure if it was a silly question but now I know... :rolleyes: None-the-less I am glad I asked, I'd rather look silly than have a sick pooch.

Happy Birding!

Many dog foods have ground seed or oil in them, so I would hope not!

I think macadamia nuts are the problematic ones. I have a question about pistacio for some reason, but otherwise I'm not aware of any other bad seeds or nuts. Let me know when you are setting out macadamia or pistacios for your birds and I'll be on my way over wearing my cardinal suit. :rolleyes:

ooh, me too

I've heard walnuts are also to be avoided.

I'd worry about whatever additives might be in the commercial seed products. Maybe an all-natural, non-chemical blend?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give you an up-date on our bird feeder trials and tribulations :D

We found a good source of sunflower seeds that appeared to have no additives. Yes the birds made a mess on the deck so we moved the feeder, then a bear ate our feeder so we took the feeder down :rolleyes:

I thought I'd give you an up-date on our bird feeder trials and tribulations :D

We found a good source of sunflower seeds that appeared to have no additives. Yes the birds made a mess on the deck so we moved the feeder, then a bear ate our feeder so we took the feeder down :rolleyes:

Its probably best not to encourage bears. They would start hanging out on your deck. That's not quite the same as having squirrels hanging around.

Not bears, but could bird feeders attract raccoons? Scooter took off after one today that is apparently living under the deck. Bird feeder is near the deck. Not thrilled about him chasing raccoons! :D Probably babies under there too. :rolleyes: Have to be sure to warn the hot tub repairman Tuesday!

I thought Buster had some weird parasites, turned out it was birdseed from the feeder! The squirrels provide additional entertainment, and a legitimate reason to bark! Bummer about the bears, we are going to retire to a place with more bears than people, we will probably put electric fence around the feeders if they become a problem. There are some inexpensive solar fence controllers.

A bear! Wow!

Our biggest problem with bird feeders was the mixed bird seed being inhaled up the dog's snouts and causing breathing issues. We didn't have too much problem with the sunflower seeds. Commercial mixed bird feed often has nuts in it and the nuts are much higher in fat -- Allie has a serious love of peanuts and we really have to watch her because she suffered from a serious attack of pacreatitis when she was young because she consumed a handful of peanuts. (We don't use mixed bird food in our feeders anymore because she can't stop eating peanuts if she finds them.)