BC Boards

BOARDS UPGRADE!

Good morning. As you can see, we have done an upgrade on the Boards. We expected it could be completed overnight on Tuesday and be up and running yesterday morning, but the size of the Boards (over 300,000 posts, apparently) meant that the re-indexing of posts went much slower than expected. There is still conversion script running in the background, but I am assured that it's okay to re-open the Boards at this point, and I don't want to leave them closed any longer than necessary. You may notice some temporary problems with old posts while the script is running (broken quote boxes, for example), but it's okay to post, and I'm told and believe that there's no danger we'll be plunged into an alternate universe (remember?) or suffer any similar ill effects. After the conversion script is finished running, Heather or I will post about some of the new features of the Boards, but no doubt you will have discovered them by then anyway.

Edited to correct number of Boards posts.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering. Does it offer new features or anything? Oh, I see we can add posts to facebook etc. now. Hmmm.

It doesn't look like there's any way to view last unread post in a thread anymore, which is a bummer since that is pretty much how I read everything. Or maybe I just can't find it?

Just wondering. Does it offer new features or anything? Oh, I see we can add posts to facebook etc. now. Hmmm.

It doesn't look like there's any way to view last unread post in a thread anymore, which is a bummer since that is pretty much how I read everything. Or maybe I just can't find it?

Found it -- "view new content" in the upper right corner. Whew, i was going to miss that too.

I see the view new content, but looks like you have to scroll through the entire thread to find whatever's new--no more go directly to last post unread. Oh well, I guess it's not the end of the world. ETA: No you don't, not sure what I was seeing before.

I am a little more concerned with all of my posts now being available on some stranger's facebook page, and I suppose I will have to deal with that or stop posting.

I see the view new content, but looks like you have to scroll through the entire thread to find whatever's new--no more go directly to last post unread. Oh well, I guess it's not the end of the world.

I am a little more concerned with all of my posts now being available on some stranger's facebook page, and I suppose I will have to deal with that or stop posting.

Can you try to change it under your settings? I see one option is "show me all content that I have not read". Will that help?

Thanks Paula. I think the feed wasn't working as expected because there weren't enough posts in the topic yet or something. Working now.

Actually, I think they are still tweaking it, though we can see/post now. I guess we can now vote up or down posts now? Not sure what that means.

We do not intend to enable the Facebook option at this time, and my thinking right now is not to enable it in the future either.

Good morning. As you can see, we have done an upgrade on the Boards. We expected it could be completed overnight on Tuesday and be up and running yesterday morning, but the size of the Boards (over 150,000 posts, apparently) meant that the re-indexing of posts went much slower than expected. There is still conversion script running in the background, but I am assured that it's okay to re-open the Boards at this point, and I don't want to leave them closed any longer than necessary. You may notice some temporary problems with old posts while the script is running (broken quote boxes, for example), but it's okay to post, and I'm told and believe that there's no danger we'll be plunged into an alternate universe (remember?) or suffer any similar ill effects. After the conversion script is finished running, Heather or I will post about some of the new features of the Boards, but no doubt you will have discovered them by then anyway.

Someone mentioned (in the "new skin" thread) that posts here will now be automatically available on Face Book. Is that correct?

Thank you very much.

Liz S in SCPA

Eileen, does the "Facebook option" have different features than what is enabled with the Facebook button in the Share this topic: at the bottom of the page?

Thanks,

Jeanne

I hate to tell you this, but people everywhere has always been able to read what you write! Be it visiters, or just someone looking up someone's name and getting here where they had posted something. The rule is simple, if it's something you don't want the world to know, don't put in on the internet.

I hate to tell you this, but people everywhere has always been able to read what you write! Be it visiters, or just someone looking up someone's name and getting here where they had posted something. The rule is simple, if it's something you don't want the world to know, don't put in on the internet.

Gee, Dixie_Girl, I never knew that! Thanks for enlightening me! :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned (in the "new skin" thread) that posts here will now be automatically available on Face Book. Is that correct?

No. There is a feature that would permit a linkage with Facebook, but it is supposed to be disabled now and we do not intend to enable it for the foreseeable future.

No. There is a feature that would permit a linkage with Facebook, but it is supposed to be disabled now and we do not intend to enable it for the foreseeable future.

Whoops. I just tried that button, and it did work. It posted a link to this topic on Facebook.

Funny you should mention this. I don't know how many times I've Googled something border collie related, or even a person's name--someone who might have been mentioned here--and had a bunch of hits on the BC Boards. Most recently it was a genetics issue related to border collies....

J.

I can see I need to clarify here. Yes, what you post on the Boards can be seen publicly, and always could be. Visitors come here all the time, and people can copy the URL link to a thread and post it on another board or list (Destructo did that, remember?), or on their Facebook page, or email it to a friend, etc. The buttons at the bottom of the page are just another, slightly faster way of posting a link to a Facebook page than copying the link and pasting it in on Facebook. I don't know whether or not we could disable those buttons, but doing so wouldn't prevent people from putting up a link to a thread here on their Facebook page.

What we did disable was a feature that creates some kind of actual linkage with Facebook. I believe it's similar to the Facebook chat function that was used on the Saturday webcast of the sheepdog finals. We don't fully understand its features and ramifications, and that's why we determined not to enable it. Heather is more of a Facebook enthusiast than I am, and she wanted to explore its functions fully and then discuss with me whether we should enable it or not. I am not on Facebook, and I would take a heck of a lot of convincing to enable this function. In any case, we would not do it without putting it up for discussion on the Boards.

FYI, I just tested the Facebook button and it works.

I've written to the developers to ask whether that bar at the bottom can be disabled, and I'll report when I hear back. I doubt it can be, though, because it also contains a "print" and "email" button. Personally, I'm in favor of leaving it there. It doesn't add any new functionality: as someone pointed out above, links from this forum could always be posted before, on Facebook or anywhere else. This just makes that process easier, but it doesn't make something possible that was impossible before. The entire philosophy of the Internet is one of sharing information and commenting on it, and that strip at the bottom is certainly part and parcel of that philosophy. But I'll definitely let everyone know what the developers tell me as soon as I hear back from them. (By the way, there's a "help" link right next to the the "sign out" link in the top right-hand corner, and it seemed pretty thorough to me.)

I understand that anyone could copy and paste a link from here to facebook, as they can copy and paste a link from anywhere to facebook and they can copy and paste a link from here to anywhere else. It is my opinion that facilitating links to facebook would encourage it, and while some people like to put anything and everything on facebook, some prefer to limit their facebook exposure--even as they are aware that the fact that it is on the Internet in the first place means it is available online.

Archived