BC Boards

Red Dog

kelpiegirl

Sheena,

I know this has been a crushing blow. Briggs knows how very much you loved him and how you always did your best for him. You will never forget him and his legacy lives on with every rescue that you do, because you do it for him. I've cried a lot for you both this week, as have many others, but you will always have your beautiful, wonderful pictures and memories of him.

Our deepest sympathy and love,

Regards,

Deb

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheena,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Red Dog was that special heart dog that comes around to those of us willing to open our hearts to them. You not only opened your heart but all of ours with your many tales and pictures of your life with Briggs (along with the many others you've rescued).

His wonderful spirit will be with you always - please remember that. He loved you as much if not more than how you loved him. Take care of you now - the pain will subside in time but you'll have your memories for the rest of your life and with those memories you will eventually find peace.

We are all hurting out here for you but Briggs is now pain-free and living it up while he waits for you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Sheena. I'm addicted to your dog blog, and I've been an avid admirer of all you rescue efforts and accomplishments. Had I only the time and energy to provide as much help to these wonderful dogs that you do. RD was a wonderful dog, one of the best, and his absence will be felt by many. My girls send their love, and if there is anything we can do, let us know...

Sheena,

I've been away from the computer all weekend and just found this thread. I am so, so sorry about Briggs. I know your heart must just be splintered right now--he was such a huge part of your life, and of course all of ours as well. No words I can say will heal the hurt, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you right now. The old, dear ones are the hardest of all to lose.

J.

We are sending you our sympathy, and hugs. Sorry seems like such a shallow word compared to what you must be feeling, but it's all I can offer - I am so, so sorry. Take peace in knowing he is waiting for you - a healthy dog. Surely he was welcomed with open arms.

Take care.

DebC

I wanted to add something again on here too, he knew you loved him Sheena. He will still always be with you in spirit.

Reading all the words that people have put on here and your blog, he really was a very special boy. Like others have put too, he will live on in your rescue and he will never be forgotten.

Rip, sweet Red Dog.

"...there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master."

excerpt from the Portland Oregonian, Sept. 11, 1925. By Ben Hur Lamp

Sheena, I'm so sorry for your loss. You did right by him. Just whisper his name, and he'll be there in memory and spirit.

Laurie

RDM, I am so sorry for your loss. Red Dog was a fabulous dog and his loss is felt world wide, but nowhere near as strongly as in your life. I know we all wish there was something we could do or say to lessen your pain.

I want to thank you for having let me share, through your stories and pictures, in the life of this very special dog. At least he is no longer suffering.

With warm thoughts and our sympathy,

Rebecca and Molly

I'm very sorry. He was gone much too soon (though certainly he left in his good time). May you find peace and hope in that future when you will see him again whole and strong and full of love. And meanwhile I pray you continue to gain strength from your good work and your other wonderful dogs and friends on the spot.

I was reading Patricia McConnell's new book and she referred to a quote in an earlier book about losing her Luke dog, and that she imagined it would feel as if all the air had been sucked out of the atmosphere and she was left behind trying to figure out how to breathe. That so eloquently described how i felt losing Belle in october and i'm sure you're very much feeling the same way. Hang in there and keep breathing.

I just got caught up on all that happened. RDM, I am so sorry for your loss. It was very clear how important he was to you and I can only imagine how it must feel now. You took amazing care of him. I enjoyed knowing him through your beautiful pictures. He's immortalized in them and in your memory.

Liz

Even though I've already commented on your blog and in the other board thread, I want to say again how sorry I am, Sheena. I can't imagine the loss of a heart dog; I haven't had to go through that pain yet (though I suppose Taz isn't going to live forever, so my time will come). Briggs was magnificent—this was clear even to those who knew him only through the cyber world. Godspeed, Briggs (who will always be Red Dog to me).

Sheena,

Nothing I can say will ease your loss but please know you have my heartfelt sympathy, especially losing Red Dog so soon after T.K. Through your terrific photographs on your blog, I feel, as do so many others, that we saw the "real" Red Dog who was one of a kind - thank you for sharing him with us.

It is obvious that handsome little Briggs was one of a kind in every way possible, and also quite obvious how much you love him and will miss him.

My heart aches at the thought of his passing. Nobody will ever forget Red Dog.