BC Boards

D'Elle

I wouldn't use q-tips. I prefer a cotton ball, I put it inside the ear, massage said ear and remove cotton ball. It's almost impossible to hurt the dog's ear like this. Adicionally, with the massaging, you get a clear understanding if there is some pain or discomfort going on, and you can evaluate the amount of dirt that came off and decide if it was just a bit dirty or it's beyond that and a vet should be seen.

Sometimes I use a moist tissue (the kind we use to clean our hands or babies bottoms) anD clean the ear with my finger, as a finger is too big to get to deep into the ear and do some damage.

I'm not sure if it has to always be ear mites. I would say probably not, but my opinion is worth nothing. You could call your vet and ask.

No, it is definitely not always ear mites. It is common for dogs with food sensitivities to have the first sign be ears gunking up. That's how I tell how Micah is doing when I try a new food on him. Dogs can also get swimmer's ear, yeast infections, and all that kind of stuff.

My dog recently finished a day of stockwork with one prick ear up, the other folded back, and a slight tilt to her head. It concerned me, but she was normal after a short rest. She was always alert and agile. I've seen this infrequently over the years, and usually attributed it to an insect sting or bite.

I had not seen bees/wasps that day, so when asymmetry returned, I visually inspected her ear & with my fingers, finding it to be, like you said, greasy/moist. She has never had a mite infestation, and do not think that was was the cause of her discomfort, but who knows? In any event, I used a series of cotton swabs (generic q-tips) to gently probe and wipe any foreign body back out. After dislodging several Cheerios and a key lost last Christmas :wacko: (ETA: only kidding), a small segment of weed was removed. Almost instant relief for her.

She has quite a large ear cavity below the level covered by hair. I'm surprised more had not found its way in. Guess that's why dogs shake their heads.

I don't recommend probing around inside an ear, but that's my story. It was the weekend, and I was ready to take her into our vet today. I'll wait to see whether she shows any more discomfort. She has looked fine for a couple days now. -- Best wishes, TEC

I didn't mention the engine parts, but figured nobody would believe me ;) .

No srsly, all I found was some dirt and small piece of weed. More than I could deal with in my ears. Sorry, I hoped the size of most keys and emoticon would be tip-offs. --TEC

I didn't mention the engine parts, but figured nobody would believe me ;) .

No srsly, all I found was some dirt and small piece of weed. More than I could deal with in my ears. Sorry, I hoped the size of most keys and emoticon would be tip-offs. --TEC

Eh -- OK. I am gullible -- and sometimes read too fast.

Eh -- OK. I am gullible -- and sometimes read too fast.

Jovi -- No worries. I have been there.

It's this darn internet. Hyperbole, figures of speech, humor, and the like, are sometimes ruined, but if spoken in person, the inflection, pace, and facial expression would convey understanding. I had an attack of foolishness. Hope you understand.

With the weed and dirt q-tipped out, my dog instantly had two upright ears again, and I saved a trip to the vet. Like I said above, I'll keep an eye on her, but I think it's fixed.

Getting back to OP's specific question, I would leave a normally acting dog's ears alone. I probably shouldn't have removed the foreign material on my own (perhaps a vet will speak-up), but in my non-medical opinion, if your dog is not scratching ears or otherwise displaying discomfort, I would ask about the greasy substance at your next vet visit . -- TEC

If are unsure speak to your vet first, and get advice from an "expert" ask them to inspect your dogs dirty ears rather than attempting to diagnose by oneself, for cleaning them with Q-tips by oneself "i wouldn't".

I personally use a damp cloth and gently wipe the surrounding area.

Dogs with floppy ears can be rather prone to yeast infections in their ears. The warm environment of the ear added with moisture is the perfect storm. There are basic ear washes one can use, but I would have my dogs ears checked by a vet first just incase it is something more serious. Our old retriever mix had to have his ears cleaned at least monthly, more often as he aged, with a wash that included ketoconazole (fights yeast directly) or he would end up with a raging ear infection.

I used to use a product called Zymox Otic for Sammie, whose ears gunked up black on a regular basis throughout his later life.

You might want to look into it. It's an enzymic product (like Nature's Miracle, but for the ears!)

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use a product called Zymox Otic for Sammie, whose ears gunked up black on a regular basis throughout his later life.

You might want to look into it. It's an enzymic product (like Nature's Miracle, but for the ears!)

That sounds like a good product and I will look into it. thanks!

and, umm, I did actually clean his ears with Q-tips........... :unsure: .............verrry carefully......and with cotton balls....and his ears look better now, and he also is hearing better. He is 13, so some hearing loss is understandable, but I think that some of it was just that his ears were gunked up. Since they have stayed clean, I conclude that he doesn't have earmites or any condition that requires a vet visit.

thanks for all the advice.