BC Boards

Going on Vacation - Need Advice Please

Advice needed please - I have a five year old BC - Sparky - that I got when he was two years old. Six months after I got him, I certified him with Therapy Dogs International as he is SO smart and friendly with everyone. We do a lot together and I take him for a run, bike ride or tread mill every day (he's an indoor dog otherwise). He is very docile the rest of the time. The only problem is that he has separation anxiety and doesn't like being away from me. Whenever, I am away he is always home with my wife. I travel 2-3 days a week with my job and he is ok with that. However, in late July my wife and I are traveling out of the country for 7 days and I have arranged for him to stay with a sitter that lives in my neighborhood. The sitter has a dog that is friendly. I have taken Sparky and the sitters dog for a walk and they were fine together. I plan a few more walks before the trip. What can I do to lessen the separation anxiety during the trip? I am sure he will want to come to our home when the sitter takes him for a walk. Any advice would be appreciated. I just hate to leave him without knowing that I've done all I can to make his stay with the sitter the best experience possible. Thank you in advance!

is there any way the sitter can live in your house for the week?? when my husband and I travel, we hire a sitter to come live in the house. then, at least, one thing does not change in their routines. it is still their home, tho the treat giver changes ;-)

Can he stay with the sitter for a couple hours or for the day a time or two before you go? That way he can learn that when he goes over there, he does come home and you will have some idea if he will be able to handle it. You may need to get medication for him for while you are gone, but you won't know if you don't do a trial run.

I was thinking the same thing as Gideon's girl... Since you have a little over a month perhaps you could try leaving him with the sitter a couple of times for a variety of different lengths of time? Maybe even an overnight stay with the sitter before you guys leave? This would give you an idea of how he will handle it. I'm sure he will do just fine but it would be nice to know that ahead of time. If for whatever reason he doesn't handle it well you'll know you either need to make different arrangements or think about getting him some medication to help him through the week you are away.

Now that it's in the right place, I'll respond.

I pet sit. I find that dogs do quite well when left in their own homes while their owners are gone and have someone come in. I'd definitely consider it for a dog like this. Best option for this length of time would be to have someone who can stay in your home. Have the person come in and meet the dog and hang out. Most sitters will offer a free meet & greet, largely for their own comfort to see if the dog(s) are comfortable with them (I personally wouldn't hire someone who doesn't offer this, because I want to meet them and see how they interact with my dogs, too), but in this case it might be worth paying the sitter for a regular daytime visit or two just to see how things will go, and to help your dog be more comfortable with the situation.

Second choice would be an in-home boarding situation. Again, I'd want to meet the sitter, this time in her or his home, taking the dog along and seeing how things go. You might want to try an overnight ahead of time so the sitter can give you feedback about how Sparky did and you can see if he's anxious or relaxed when you pick him up.

Best wishes figuring this out . . . I hope you can find suitable arrangements and enjoy your vacation.