BC Boards

Sheepdog-L question

I have subscribed to Sheepdog-L on Yahoo groups. As far as I can tell, I did it all correctly. But, whenever I post anything, it fails to show up.

OK, this is my favorite site because my dog befriended the only sheep she's ever met. And she doesn't do agility or flyball. She keeps me in line, fetches the paper, brings in one bit of mail (too soft a mouth to haul it all), harvests persimmons and blackberries, and keeps the world safe from geese and squirrels.

But I like to keep up with information on Working Stockdogs and the Sheepdog list.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be my problem?

I have subscribed to Sheepdog-L on Yahoo groups. As far as I can tell, I did it all correctly. But, whenever I post anything, it fails to show up.

OK, this is my favorite site because my dog befriended the only sheep she's ever met. And she doesn't do agility or flyball. She keeps me in line, fetches the paper, brings in one bit of mail (too soft a mouth to haul it all), harvests persimmons and blackberries, and keeps the world safe from geese and squirrels.

But I like to keep up with information on Working Stockdogs and the Sheepdog list.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be my problem?

The Sheepdog-l is set up so that responses to all posts go to the author of the post being responded to, rather than the whole group. You have to either hit "Reply All" or type Sheepdog-l@yahoogroups.com in the address field if you want your responses to show up on the list.

sheepdog-L........"This is a list to post announcements of herding events, results, and discussion narrowly focused on using Border Collies to herd stock." And thats their story and they're sticking to it. This board, is not as friendly, active or forgiving as the BC boards. Its rare, that you could find any other info there, that you couldnt find here. Darci

Just like someone already stated you do need to hit reply all for your replies to go to the list. Also, it is a heavily moderated list and almost all posts wait for approval from the moderator(s).

Kathy

I go to the Yahoo group; I don't get individual emails. So there's no way to hit Reply All. Is there a way around that on the list?

I understand the purpose and rules of the list. On the last try, I was replying to a comment about the news about Allen.

I can understand that the group is heavily moderated. But I think that a reply to a thread, if it is on topic and not using the thread to go off elsewhere, should be OK. Is there any way I can contact the moderator to ask if I have failed to do something that makes me legal? I cannot find how to contact the moderator. It's probably in plain site. But, as I tell the kids: I'm not getting old; I'm getting cute.

I'm not on the list, but I do moderate some yahoo lists and there has been an ongoing problem with posts ending up as "spam" and not getting posted to the group.

When you joined you should have received a welcome message and the moderator's contact information should be in there.

RDM

I go to the Yahoo group; I don't get individual emails. So there's no way to hit Reply All.

On the Sheepdog-L Yahoo site, click on a message and hit the REPLY button. The next page you see should have TO, FROM, DATE, SUBJECT, etc. --- and TO should have a drop-down menu to click on. That's where you choose between sending a message to the whole list, the moderator or just the author of the post.

You rock Luisa. I say that just to get RDM's goat. :D

I was a sheepdog-l regular for ages (about five or six years) and then one day I got put on moderate accidently I think - and it was right in the middle of a similar situation to Allen's, where I was posting information on the death and funeral of a sheepdogger, being the "internet liason" for the family. I was on full moderate for a couple of years, I seem to remember, after that - it took about two days for any message from me to get to the list (ETA: not for any personal reason, just because I was one of zillions of people who were also on moderate). I pretty much gave up and then *poof*, suddenly I got my direct posting privileges back!

It was all very mysterious but I didn't mind too much. I'm not exactly a big fish and half the time keeping my big yap shut is a great idea. Or more than half. Maybe most. 80%? Well, I won't think too much more about that since I could easily convince myself of my not having much call to contribute, like, ever. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that list has a really, really specific mission and I can easily imagine it's herdin' cats to make sure it stays on course.

Thanks a lot, Luisa. I'd never have found that drop-down box.

I'm on a bunch of other Yahoo groups. On all of them, the default is to send the reply to the whole group. So that's been my paradigm.

I try to respect the specificity of groups and boards. Some of my Lithuanian ones are for us to talk about being Lithuanians: bread recipes, where to find good beer, what was my grandmother saying when this is what I heard.... Others are for serious questions about Lithuanian grammar and terminology for those of us trying to learn the (blessedly difficult) language. We don't mix up what goes where.

Nancy, can you PM me some info on the Lithuanian groups? My grandmother was Lithuanian - via Scotland so I didn't get any culture, but I'd love to find out some more.