BC Boards

What a mix!!

I saw a lab/basset once - I have a picture but my computer is dead so until I get a new one I can't post any of my pictures. :D

I once saw a funny looking BC (all out of balance) and it was from a BC dam, but nobody had a clue what its father was! I looked REALLY strange. :rolleyes:

My cousin lived in Fairbanks and had a wonderful, but huge, dog that he got up there. Gal was a Nome dog, Native American, bred specifically for Nome.

Dave said that the Husky was the equivalent of the sports car; the Malalmute was the equivalent of the family sedan; and the Eskimo dog (of which Gal was a specifically local version) was the semi.

Gal let our kids ride her. We have a phot of DH with our lab-shepherd and Dave with Gal. They are standing together. But it sure looks like Dave & Gal are at the front of the photo and Chuck & Vamp are at the back. Yup, Gal was the appropriate size for my cousin.

We have a client at work with a border collie/pug cross they bought from an accidental breeding. Very different looking dog...

She's black and around the size of a large pug. Has border collie type coat but a little shorter than most BC's. Her face is pushed in but not quite as much as a full pug and her body shape is somewhat between the two but leaning a bit more towards the pug.

We also had in what we think was a border collie x shih tzu. The dad was unknown and the mom was a full shih tzu. This dog looked sort of like a mini border collie with short legs, only 16 lbs.

The other day a woman brought in a dog to the vets, and I asked her what type, and she replied miniature collie and border collie, but it was bigger than either, and not recognizable as either breed. Yesterday I looked at ads in a paper and saw ...

"border collie cross - 4 yr female, prefer country free to good home"

"border collie cross pups 7 weeks $150"

"border collie/lab pups 8 wks various colors$200"

"Border Collie Pups purebred,English(brown and white, 8 wks must sell, moving."

"border collie cross pup 10 weeks needs a good home $25 "

"Dalmation collie cross pupp 6 ready to go $75"

Originally posted by RaisingRiver:

I haven't seen a weird BC mix, but I did see this German Shepard/Basset mix.

There are a lot of basset mixes out there (perhaps due to the Basset's penchant for wandering). Years ago I had a Basset-Rott mix that I found on the side of the road one day. I called him my rare and wonderful Bassetweiler :rolleyes: I've also seen a Shepherd-Basset version and heard tell of a Golden-Basset.

MaggieDog, I have seen a Great Dane who was born to purebred parents with extremely short legs. I have also seen GD "mixes" adopted from shelters with short legs. I have a feeling that breeders are dumping purebred GDs that have inherited some form of dwarfism. I also know purebred dwarf Malamutes and BMDs.

There are two Border Collie/Pitbull puppies in our ads now, they have cute dispositions!!

I hate telling my kids that our GS is a mix, they haven't asked what of though yet, not sure they know what I really mean by a 'mixer dog'. When she was a puppy she looked full GS but another lady who took her puppy, from the same litter, to the vet's to ask what her dog was, was told it was a rockweiler, so I took mine and was told she was GS, and I love her to pieces, but still think each should be bred with their own. :rolleyes:

Dog Lady - ain't no thang! :rolleyes: I lived in CA for a year and heard (or read) most of the variations (locally, the most common was "rockwelder") - including one memorable Australian resident at the U who used to pronounce it "rottweeler". Maybe that's just an Aussie accent. No one ever made fun of him, though, maybe because he was personable and had a good sense of fun (which made people like him). Of course it MIGHT have been that he was drop-dead, GQ/movie star gorgeous, which made many of the female students a little silly in his presence, so they'd just giggle no matter WHAT he said. Poor things. I was on surgery rotation with him and hence had a chance to get to know him without being overwhelmed by his looks (we were all wearing masks, after all, and surgery is scary when you just start, so you're really not focused on the instructor's looks so much as his competence)... however, I think all the giggling and silliness were a bit wearing for him. Poor guy.

But back to the mixes....

The most wierd thing I saw once was a pekinesse/Chihuahua mix. If not so rare, definitively the most ugly one. It has big jumpy eyes, the short nose of the pekinesse and the long floppy ears of the chihuhua. Also it has mostly kind of short hair, but with a collar of long hair in the neck.

Believe me, it was a Bat.

And her name was Princess.

A dog at one of our favorite B&Bs in Yorkshire had a Jack Russel mother and a big lab father. We aren't sure about the logistics.

I have heard of a German Shepherd mother and a dachshund father. Where theyre's a will...?

Number 1 Daughter has friends with a basset-beagle mix they call a bagle.

A good friend of mine who always had labs, was telling me about how a female JRT they had got impreganated by one of his labs and they had to take her to the vet and do a C-section and remove all the unborn pups, or else the mom's life would have been in real danger. Just one pup would have been half of the mother's size...

A friend of mine years ago had a litter of Wows -half whippet, half chow. They looked a lot like dingoes, really. Whippet-shaped bodies covered in short dense red fur with brindling. She was horrified, thinking she'd accidentally created a fast chow. :rolleyes: Luckily, they were all sweet-tempered.

She found homes for all four, and two of the owners begged her to repeat the breeding! :eek: Of course she declined.

The most wierd thing I saw once was a pekinesse/Chihuahua mix. If not so rare, definitively the most ugly one. It has big jumpy eyes, the short nose of the pekinesse and the long floppy ears of the chihuhua. Also it has mostly kind of short hair, but with a collar of long hair in the neck.

There's a really cute one that lives in my building. I think the owner got her from either a pet store, or one of those designer mix puppy mill type places. It looks like a stubby Chihuahua.

Of course, given the place it's probably from, the breed mix is perhaps only approximate.

I didn't have any thing interesting to say when this first came out so I read it grinned and went on. Then I read it again and thought you might enjoy my lurchers infamous intro to the world. She was a whippet heeler cross. Both parents extremely well bred, sire (the whippet) a champion finished to all his glory, retired but not yet neutered. Mom (Heeler) a working cattle dog, ran in cattle trials in Ca. Enter kids, who decide they wanted to breed the "fastest" cow dogs in the west :D When the puppies were in utero, jokes started flying. Whippet/Heeler cross became Wheelers. How many wheelers will she have 4 wheelers , what kind of truck will they drive 18 wheelers of course. You can see how this went I'm sure. Well the crux of this and AKA DC will appreciate it I'm sure. The owners of said dogs were Vets. They had to own up to the accidental breeding, and the pups they were about to dump on defenseless friends and family :D And they did with nary a problem My husband kept calling our newly aquired imp "Four" as a joke, since she was the fourth pup born out of six. And it stuck :confused: She was Four, for her 15 years, and one of the best dogs I have ever had . Other in the litter were named Uno, Dwa sp?? Tres-eme, Beck and Dave. I would gladly have another like her. But we all know the chances of that happening :rolleyes: , even if someone was silly enough to try it.

Andrea D.

• 5 weeks later...