BC Boards

Run free Nimh

sweet_ceana

Today we let go of our sweet foster boy. I say sweet, but he was only sweet to us. He adored DH and liked me, but everyone else is a whole different story.

We were his second foster home since he was so difficult. DH and I are always up to a challenge and thought we were going to be working with fear aggression. He was kind to us and seemed to be improving, but his first time out he behaved in a way I had only read about. I had never seen a calm, cool, and opportunistic unprovoked attack/bite. I was literally watching his body language closely thinking how far we had come when he showed his true colors. Apparently there was a lot more he had been hiding besides a playful nature.

We said goodbye a few short hours ago at our favorite vet's office. He snuggled in between DH and I on a comfy blanket as he crossed the bridge. There literally was no other option for him after what we witnessed. He was a ticking time bomb, but we still loved him. I am happy we could be there for him since we were the only people he seemed to not try and bite. I have no clue why he felt we were so different and a few theories on what wires were crossed by some other odd behaviors.

Run free sweet boy, I'm sorry your short life could not have been more.

4928014723_16c2637ec0.jpg

The alliance between humans and dogs was ever marked by blood spilled. As sad as this happening is, it is part of the process that has bonded us together. I grieve for Nimh, even as I am sad for the person he bit. The memory of Nimh will strengthen me to keep my fosters out of harm's way and guide them to become comfortable and safe with people. A life is gone, but not without contributing lesson that may yet help other dogs through difficult times.

Thank you all so very much. We have been hermits this weekend, and your comments have really helped. I feel really bad for DH because that dog adored him and followed him every where. He is taking it pretty hard. He hasn't been able to bring himself to read this topic and the posts yet, but when he does I know it will help him as well.

The dogs who've shared our lives.

In subtle ways they let us know

their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think

we hear a barking at the door.

Or step back when we drop

a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place

the food dish used to be,

And, sometime, coming home at night,

we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends

and a new food dish to fill,

That one place in our hearts

belongs to them...

and always will.

~ Linda Barnes

Via con Dios, Nimh.

I'm so sorry you had to make that decision :rolleyes: It's not an easy one. Whatever demons were in his head are now gone and he's at peace. He spent the last bit of his life knowing love and comfort. I'm sure he came to you guys to spend his those days in safety and happiness. You guys do great work.

God speed Nimh. Run free.

Carrie and Chris, I'm so sorry. You and Nimh have been in my thoughts since RR when it became apparent that Nimh would not be adoptable. Having been in your shoes, I know the conflicting emotions, the confusion, and the final sense of resignation and defeat that come with these tragic circumstances. There was no other possible outcome, but that doesn't make it any easier. I hope you can both take some small measure of comfort knowing that Nimh felt the love of your family and came to a peaceful end surrounded by that love. Godspeed Nimh.

I'm so sorry. You gave him love and happiness, but some things can't be fixed, and when that became apparent, you did the right thing for him. You were there when he needed you, from start to finish, and he'll live on in your hearts and memories as a dog who taught you a lot, including when to let go. Godspeed Nimh.

J.

I feel for you. That's the hardest thing --- to put down an otherwise healthy dog, but you did right by Nymh. It takes guts although I know your heart is breaking. I felt the same way with Sam. He died in loving arms, and at least with that, you can live.

Archived