BC Boards

Rey - - Something just clicked! Recall dramatically improved

Rey, my female BC just turned a year old last week.

Has anyone else had an experience where they all of a sudden just clicked and something they would do, they all of a sudden just did? Like the light bulb went off or something?

Rey's recall has been a struggle. I took her through beginning and intermediate obedience classes. They went well and she did very well on the lead. She also got to where she would do very well on a long line. But off line or lead she was horrible.

One day while on in the yard on a long line, I got an idea. work her on the line, play fetch etc all on the line. Starting at 25 ft, cut 18 inches off a week and eventually it would be down to nothing and she might keep working well. I did this for about 4 weeks. Taking her out every day. Playing frisbee, having her bring it back, which also got better in that time. Sometimes just out on the line running through obedience. Sit, stay, down, shake, come etc.

Then last week something just clicked and she got it! I just now took her out in the yard with no line, leash or even a collar (fenced yard) and ran through all her obedience and she was great! The problem began months ago when we would let her out to potty then she wouldn't come in order to get her back inside. Then she would play stay away until I could trick her somehow and catch her. Now every time I was successful, she would learn that trick and I would have to think of a new one. Hence the long line all the time.

Well she got it all of a sudden and is doing fantastic!

Anyone else struggle with something with their BC then all of a sudden they just got it??

Congrats! It's like the pieces of a puzzle line up for them all at once and VOILA! You get what you've been working toward.

I've been working w/Gibbs on and off for way longer than I want to admit. Returning the ball to me. This afternoon, for the first time, he plopped it in my hand 3 Times In A Row. Wowza.

Now, my challenge is for ME to be consistent. That's the hard part.

Way to go, Wayne & Rey!

Ruth & Gibbs

A little different than what you're describing, but one of my working dogs back in the day, Twill . . . I'd be trying to teach her something new on sheep and she just wouldn't seem to get it, so I'd give up and practice something she knew to end things on a good note to finish up for the time being. Then we'd go back the next day or so to try again and she had whatever it was we'd been working on in our last training session down pat. Apparently she just needed to sleep on it and let it sink in. Once I figured out that this was her learning pattern it made things much easier for both of us, because I wouldn't get so frustrated thinking that I wasn't getting through to her, and of course, that kept her from getting frustrated in turn. I just learned to trust that'd it'd all come together the next time we went out, and it did. Interesting little dog.

Honestly, most of my dogs have seemed to work this way. Only 1 of my current 5 seems to steadily make small improvements instead of suddenly having an "Oooooh." moment wherein they're much better, abruptly. It's amusing and somewhat frustrating but it's relaxed me about the terrible sessions I sometimes have in training.

I want to start agility training but at the place I go to, they said that recall needs to be really solid. So I have been trying to get the recall better. Now I need to keep polishing it and try it somewhere else. Maybe a trip to the fenced in dog park in the morning when there is no one there.

Take it on the road! Enlist friends, or even strangers who look at your dog and smile. Get them to stand around while you recall her. Do it a couple times, then take a break.

Up the value of treats dramatically. Whatever she drools over, use that in these proofing sessions. Once she's got the idea that Here means Every Single Time, you can decrease to something less 'valuable'.

Way to go!

Ruth & Gibbs

She is displaying her smarts! Today I was throwing the frisbee for her to chase. A tired BC isn't a bad thing! I thought we had enough so when she was about half way back to me with the frisbee, I said "Let's go to the house" and she turned towards the desk steps and headed to the door, laying her frisbee next to the trash can that I keep them (about 8 frisbees) in outside. This last couple weeks she's just clicked! She's an amazing dog! I can't imagine how she'll be in another year (just a year old now).