BC Boards

how do you give glucosamine and chondroitin?

Dog food. My kibble has Gluc in it - I specifically look for it. Not sure about chondroitin.

I do also have Gluc tablets (get them at petsmart) that was recommended for my large breed dogs. They have no problem eating them now.. had to trick them to eat it at first :rolleyes:

I agree, they ARE very expensive. However, I can attest that they do help. Our previous dog was a 95 lb. GSD/Rough Collie and at 10 or 11 yrs. started showing signs of serious hip and joint pain. We started giving him both glucosamine and MSM in a supplement and he showed a marked difference in his comfort level and ease of movement. He lived to be 14 years old before he finally died of cancer.

We gave him Nutraceutical Acti-Pet Hip & Joint Defense for Dogs. Acti-Pet Hip & Joint Defense There are quite a few good products in the market that geared specifically for dogs.

I think they are around $20 per bottle (60 caps), which is about a 1 mo. supply. They are chewable tabs and our dog loved them. No problem getting him to eat them.

I got ours from Schiff at BJ's Warehouse. Big bottle of capsules of glucosamine & MSN (or whatever it is). Very good price as I remember (bought several bottles and haven't renewed the membership yet).

I put a dab of peanut butter on it and Ferg loves it. She and my granddaughter are alike. Put peanut butter on it, and they'll eat a bale of hay.

I have a 14 and a half year old Dalmatian as well as my new BC pup. My Dalmation (Mollie) has hip and joint pain from arthritus. About Glucosomine (sp) if you go to wal-mart they have a powder that you can mix with milk that Mollie just loves. Pretty much any glucosomine supplements that you can buy for humans you can use on a dog. It really helps her out she is also on Ramidyl.

I use a powder - human formulation - give about a teaspoon per day (scaled down dose - sprinkled on food.) The tub is expensive - about US$40 but I think it's going to last the 2 dogs a long time.

I'm a great believer in the effectiveness of glucosamine for myself, too.

I use the human Glucosamine & MSM. When it's the kind of pill with powder in the pill (that you can pull apart), I sprinkle the powder on the kibbles then add water. If it's a harder kind of pill that you'd have to crush up to get the powder form, then I just get canned dog food, put a spoonful in Jake's bowl, push the pill into the wet food, then add the kibbles. Jake usually can't avoid eating it then, lol

I feed my older dogs one tablet of human "double-strength" per day. I just drop it in their food dish with dinner and they eat them.

From what I've learned, the combination of glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM is the most effective, while glucosamine alone provides some level of comfort but doesn't improve joint condition. Puritan's Pride is having a great sale right now, buy one get one free, or buy two get three free!

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=B...PID=1029&CID=62

I don't know what the canine dosage would be, but a friend of mine gives her dogs the powdered glucosamine meant for horses from Tractor Supply. I'm sure you could get it elsewhere, as well. She says it's the cheapest way and really works well.

Both Glucosamine and Chondroitin are added into the kibble I feed. I use Nutro Natural Choice Large breed formula. It's a good quality food, the dogs are healthy and happy on it and they've got great coats. It's not an inexpensive brand, but it's not the most expensive out there either. The nice thing about having the Glucosamine and Chondroitin added into the food is that there's no need to fuss with feeding it as a separate supplement.

My hound has hip displaysia; after about 3 months on Glucosamine/Chondroitin I was able to take her off Rimadyl.

My vet recommended the following dosage:

50 - 100 lbs: 1000 mg Glucosamine, 600 mg Chondroitin 2 x Day

25 - 49 lbs: 500 mg Glucosamine, 300 mg Chondroitan 2 x Day

I buy Costco's Kirkland Brand - $21.69 for 170 tablets ($ .12 a tablet). It's a good price and I trust the source. Since the FDA doesn't control this supplement, many brands may not have the dosage stated on the label.

My hound gets 1 tablet am and pm and the BC and Cattle Dog get 1/2 tablet am and pm. In the beginning I "buttered" the tablet with a tube of squeezable peanut butter.

My husband and I also take it; works wonders. However, it doesn't work for some people and by inference maybe some dogs.

My normal caveat is "check with your vet on the advisability of useing this supplement and on the dosage".

My vet recommended trying it, as Nik, the resident GSD is getting on in years.

My mom bought it for him - she swears by it. I use the Sam's brand (Maker's Mark) Glucosamine/Chondroiten complex. (750 G / 600 C)

The bottle says humans get 2 pills a day. So my 75 lb GDS gets one pill a day. I toss it on top of his food, and he gobbles it down.

The girls are both barely 3; Nik is 8-10. I think it's helped him, although he's always raring to go.

I just noticed (like, yesterday!) that the NutroMax large breed has it already added. I have been feeding regular NutroMax, so I picked up a bag to try. (Littlest dog is 45lbs, so that should work.)