BC Boards

she ate dental floss

kelpiegirl

You know I don't know from nuthin about dogs but I am wondering if it wouldn't be worth oiling her?

I stand ready to be corrected. :rolleyes:

I'd just keep a close eye on the dog, both ends of it. I have only cat data to support my belief that this will probably not cause a problem. My cat has eaten string, rubber bands, hair elastics, parts of shoelaces, and scotch tape, the last on close to a daily basis -- I never find the roll-end stuck to the cutter part of the dispenser. Ever. I feel certain he would love to eat dental floss too. Cleaning the kitty-litter box is sometimes entertaining, e.g., if what he ate was a fluorescent lime green, but the only thing that has actually ever made him feel poorly was his own hair in the form of a hairball.

Hey Julie

Chances are it'll come out the other end. Yeah it might possibly get tangled and cause some damage but I'd take the wait and see stance. Think about how it comes out of the container, all coiled up, especially the small rolls form the dentist.

I've seen some incredilbe stuff come out the other ends of dogs who eat what they shouldn't. Their digestive system works so quickly unless it happened within hours I would think making him puke wouldn't help.

Unless he's already showing signs of distress I can't imagine what the vet'd do.

I could be wrong though....

How do you oil a dog?

Kristen

When I had a similar problem years ago, i was told to give them the stuff to throw up, that you buy for kids, or alcohol to throw up. Otherwise, lots of foodstuff to give bulk around the thread.

Peroxide to make them throw up. It has to be done relatively soon from when the eating of whatever occurred! I'd check with the Vet first though. I have one that ate a Pampers (don't ask!!) and learned that some things will pass, luckily I was traveling with a Vet at the time.

Karen

If you see single strand coming out I was told not to pull! It could be tangled further in and could cause damage. I was told this after the fact way back when I had a cat do this. Luckily it worked out ok for us.

Good luck.

Jennifer

Rgiht at Christmas, Poco ate an ornament I was making, needle, and thread. I was in a state because of the needle but the vet was in more of a state over the thread so it is something to be concerned about and keep a close eye on her. She could very well pass it and you might want to ask your vet what you can give her to help. I was told when I called and while I waited, to give him bread that it might bulk up and pass it through.

They also have the option of going in endescopically versus full surgery, that's how they got the thread (and many sequins and felt) out of Poco but they still had to open him up for the needle.

Good luck!

Maria

PS: Once she's in the clear, this will be funny..... :rolleyes:

Well, so far I don't know how she is. I was awoken last night to what I THOUGHT was her wretching- she sounds like a kettle drum when she does this. Since I only heard it once, I don't know if that was it. This morning she was not her usual over-exhuberant self bursting into my room- she was more quiet, but otherwise normal- ran around outside and ate a hearty breakfast. Dogs are home today, so I won't see her until later. I will do searches- you know what that means, and watch her. The surgery she had some years ago was very hard on her, and I don't want her to go through that again. "Tis why I am buying crates for the car.....

Julie

I called the vet this morning- well, the receptionist fielded the call and said to "just watch her". I frown on this because having been a vet recept, this is tantamount to giving medical advice. She was curt, and I think it warrants me calling tomorrow and asking to speak to a vet- or the manager. She is acting totally fine, and so far nothing...

Julie