BC Boards

Rant and Rave

Bullet87

Not sure if this is the right category for this posting... Yesterday I was informed by my husband that a dog at our dog park decided to have an aggressive hump fest with my dogs. (A little background info, we live in an apartment, moving to a college town right as school is starting makes it awfully hard to find a house to rent that is available and takes dogs... :( So we found an apartment with a dog park. At least some place for the dogs to safely run and most dog owners control their dogs.) Luckily my Heeler is dominant and takes no crap from anyone, but my 9 month BC is the most submissive dog to others. Apparently my husband had to use physical force to remove the Pitbull from my BC because they were trying to leave, yet the Pitbull repeatedly went after my dogs and stopped them from getting around him to get down the hill to the gate... To top it all off the owner thought it was funny and was LAUGHING!!! :angry: as the dog aggressively, and repeatedly went after my dogs. Needless to say we try to leave each time we see this dog and owner coming to avoid confrontations. Some of us are actually responsible and remove our dogs from potentially dangerous situations while others sit back and think their dog is so cute when it "plays" rough. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

What do you say to dumb owners such as in this situation? or do you prefer to just remove yourself and your dog and let someone else deal with it?

post-11137-026880200 1293029621_thumb.jpg

To myself, I say, "Get a clue, moron". To the clueless moron, I first ask politely if they'd restrain their dog. If they continue to laugh, I ask if they've got good insurance, because I've got a great lawyer. If they bluster, I tell them the secret security cameras are aimed right at us.

So sorry you have to deal with jerks. It's amazing how one moron can ruin a lot of very nice people's day.

Ruth

What do you say to dumb owners such as in this situation? or do you prefer to just remove yourself and your dog and let someone else deal with it?

There's two kinds of "dumb owners"; the ignorant and the stupid.

The ignorant owner may not realize that his dog's mounting of yours is a dominant display that is traumatic to your dog. So, just getting the dogs separated, getting yours and his on their respective leashes (or yours safely in the house or car), and explaining to him that although it might seem hilarious to him on the face of it, it really freaks your dog out and would he please do what he can to restrain his dog in future. If he really is a dog lover, he'll at least try.

The stupid owner won't care. You can either just leave when he gets there, or find enough other dog owners who frequent the dog park whose dogs are being molested by his, to have him barred. If this is attached to the apartment complex it's private property, so the apartment manager or property owner would have authority to ask him to keep his dog out of the dog park, or restrained, until such times as it learns some manners.

I never have to have this conversation because Buddy aggressively and with no room for misunderstanding moves to pin any dumbass dog who dares to hump him. If the dog runs away, he'll give a dirty look and move on - but the dog doesn't get the message, he will take him DOWN.

Seriously, there should be a pamphlet at every dog park, explaining how NOT to act.

Mary

I would certainly talk with the offending dog's owner. Explain to him that what his dog is doing is poor doggie etiquette and extremely rude. He may just be unaware of the nuances of dog body language. It's essentially the same thing if you walk up to him and punch him in the arm every time you see him: rude, annoying and a fight waiting to happen. If he won't intervene and if you feel safe, leash the dog, walk him to his owner and ask owner to either control his dog or leave the park. Most pits are really very human submissive, but you have to use your best judgment about his demeanor.

I would not hesitate to stop the unwanted behavior, but again, only if you feel safe. Also, try to establish yourself as someone the dog will listen to. When you do want him to stop something, he will listen. Personally, I don't give a hoot about whether I offend an owner or not if he isn't mindful of his dog's poor behavior. If a dog is annoying mine, he's fair game to become my "student". I've found that if I keep a happy, upbeat attitude, dogs respond very well (duh!) and owners don't feel judged or patronized and are willing to learn.

If the owner is unwilling to make changes, I would enlist the forces of the other owners in the park to talk with him. Maybe he'll get tired of hearing it and work with his dog.

If all this fails to provide positive results, get a bunch of park dog owners and do a group hump on the guy.

Keep us posted on the situation.

If all this fails to provide positive results, get a bunch of park dog owners and do a group hump on the guy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, how about you suggest this to the guy, as an illustration as to why his dog's behavior is unacceptable? Sometimes the mere threat of turnabout is enough ...

Thanks, now I get to chuckle as I head off to work. :P

Cheers ~

Gloria

I have only to inform the offending owner that I have a 750,000 volt stun baton (about 6" long and 1.25" in diameter) that I am more than willing to use on their dog to "break it up". That usually motivates the offending owner to corral their dog. It fits easily in my pocket and I have never had to use it, but it's there if I need it. It won't kill the dog but he will be incapacitated for a few minutes while we make our getaway. Just the sound of it has scared some dogs off (it makes a loud crackling noise). Sorry if I offend anyone but I am not very tolerant of ignorant dog owners and would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to keeping my dogs safe and sound.

So as an update... I talked to our apartment manager and she agreed with me that the behavior of both human and dog was unacceptable. Unfortunately I have never seen what building the dog has come out of, so there is no way to send a notice to the owner. (We were all supposed to take our dogs to the office for "mug shots" so when things like this happen, they can pinpoint the person and dog easily. Unfortunately only the responsible owners complied...) Although the office manager did say she would keep an eye out as well as asking the Resident Managers to do the same. :mellow: Sigh. Oh well. It is now my mission to find where that dog resides and report it.

I have only to inform the offending owner that I have a 750,000 volt stun baton (about 6" long and 1.25" in diameter) that I am more than willing to use on their dog to "break it up". That usually motivates the offending owner to corral their dog. It fits easily in my pocket and I have never had to use it, but it's there if I need it. It won't kill the dog but he will be incapacitated for a few minutes while we make our getaway. Just the sound of it has scared some dogs off (it makes a loud crackling noise). Sorry if I offend anyone but I am not very tolerant of ignorant dog owners and would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to keeping my dogs safe and sound.

Can you tell me more about the baton? What brand is it? Will your dog be "zapped" too if the offender is in physical contact with him? Is it legal to carry one in Texas?

This is the one we carry. Very affordable and as far as I know, legal in Texas.

The internet site has the laws per state, as far as carring one is concerned. You can see a demonstration of one on UTube. Like I said before, hopefully, more of a deterrent than a weapon. I think if both parties are wet and in contact (read raining) the user might recieve a slight shock also. There is probably more about this on the internet. Before I had this I used to carry pepper spray, but I heard this could make an agressive dog more volitile so I stopped carrying it. :blink:

This is the one we carry. Very affordable and as far as I know, legal in Texas.

The internet site has the laws per state, as far as carring one is concerned. You can see a demonstration of one on UTube. Like I said before, hopefully, more of a deterrent than a weapon. I think if both parties are wet and in contact (read raining) the user might recieve a slight shock also. There is probably more about this on the internet. Before I had this I used to carry pepper spray, but I heard this could make an agressive dog more volitile so I stopped carrying it. :blink:

Okay great, thanks!

So it works well? I have always wondered how they can get 750,000V from 2 little 9v batteries?!? :lol:

So it works well? I have always wondered how they can get 750,000V from 2 little 9v batteries?!?

When you hit the switch you get a loud pop, crackling noise and big continous arc across the electrodes on the tip. It scares the heck out of me. It comes with a belt holster but most of the time I just stick it in my pocket...... I am very careful the safety is on. :lol:

Here are the states where stun guns are prohibited.

Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, U.S. Virgin Islands, and District Of Columbia

They are legal in all other states, but I'm sure they all have their own restrictions. I didn't look except for my state.

Cindy

Archived