The Next Step

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

There's a border collie in the picture, I'll call that good enough. :)

I believe we've found the new addition to our family. Despite looking for another border collie, a 3 year old papillon has fallen into our laps. We're still aching for Trooper (I SWEAR I heard his bark yesterday), but sometimes things happen before you can prepare for them.

This little dog has had 4 homes in his 3 years, his problem being his irresponsible owners. We haven't given him the final yes yet, but I think he's solid enough to give an intro. We want to make sure he fits well in the household. He alert barks out of nervousness, but he's doing great so far.

He came with the name Mochi, which mom promptly nixed. That became Smooch, which he's been responding to. But Smooch became Smoocharoo which became Roo, which has also been holding strong. He's not a border collie so you won't see him much, but he's an extension of Trooper's story so I thought it fair to share. I know we also have a number of papillon lovers here. So without any further ado, here's Smooch/Roo!

Attached File  image.jpg   257.82K   83 downloads

#2 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:17 PM

Haha. He's cute. Dare I say it? He looks like a miniature hairy border collie.  :D  But he's got biiiig paws to fill. . . .

Congratulations.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#3 gcv-border

gcv-border

• Registered Users
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

Yay! Congratulations. He looks like a good sturdy size of Pap. I wouldn't be able to live with the 4-6 lb variety as I would be afraid I would step on it. A pap or pap mix is on my list of "dogs other than a border collie that I would consider living with".

Best of Luck.

Jovi

"Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog."  Charles F. Duran

#4 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks you guys!

He's a "decent" size at 9 lbs. Not so teeny tiny that you don't see him. All the fluff makes him seem bigger too. :)

A pap was also on my "non-border collie to own" list, now I get some experience! He's my mom's dog, but I visit often enough. He's absolutely nothing like any little dog I've known before.

#5 TxMom

TxMom

• Registered Users
  • 277 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

He's a cutie! We considered a (larger) Pap or Pap mix as a possible breed for our family... but decided against it because of the kids. Maybe someday. :)

You can't take the sky from me.

#6 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

• Registered Users
  • 2,661 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

He's beautiful. I know a local border collie gal who has a papillon. That little dog is hardy and cute and sweet as they come. She runs the household like a pretty, benevolent princess. I hope it works out well for you and adorable Smoocharoo.  :)

~ Gloria

You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#7 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

What a cutie. It seems like a lot of border collie people have paps. There must be a reason for that.

#8 Laurelin

Laurelin

• Registered Users
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:agility, dogs

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

That's because papillons are the best!  Not that I'm biased or anything....  

He is gorgeous!

#9 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

He's a fantastic little dog. But I don't think he's meant to be in our house(s).

He's been with me for the past 3 days, and has had some problems with barking. Then I bring him home and he's TERRIFIED of both our big dog, and the horses. He's a very nervous dog in general, he tends to screech at the slightest hint of danger. We'd be more than happy to work with him, but there's a couple who's interested in him who would be a better fit for his needs. He's also so small, he freaks me out having him around the horses. I'll continue fostering him until that couple meets him and takes him, he's still a wonderful little dog, just not quite for such a wild household.

And to confirm my thought that maybe he's not quite a fit, we received confirmation of the pregnancy of a friend's border collie. He's a good friend who runs about 4000 head of cattle in Nebraska and he has a couple of really nice dogs. After Trooper died he contacted me saying he'd be willing to put us on his short list for his next litter. He doesn't breed often, but the timing just worked out. He's a real deal breeder of working dogs, and we just couldn't pass that up.

So, there's the exciting news! The litter is due right around Thanksgiving! They'll be rough coated, out of very traditionally marked parents. I'd say I'm bummed about this little guy, but I'm happy to have been able to foster him and get him a proper home.

#10 Laurelin

Laurelin

• Registered Users
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:agility, dogs

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

One thing about paps is that they are overly dramatic.  They will vocalize at the slightest bit of discomfort.  It can take a while for them to really adjust to having a wild housemate.  (Ask me how I know...)   It took my guys a few weeks to be ok with Hank.  At first they were sure he was terrifying.  And yeah they are very vocal dogs.  Not a breed I'd recommend if you didn't mind some barking.  

Not to say stick it out, if there's a better fit then that is great.  But just pointing out he would probably settle in better with the bigger dog over time.  Especially if he's never lived with a bigger dog before, it could be a lot of adjusting.  

#11 RemsMom

RemsMom

• Registered Users
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

Smooch/Roo is an adorable little guy.  He is very lucky to come to you.  Not everyone would care enough to help find him the perfect home.

#12 kingfisher7151

kingfisher7151

• Registered Users
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

Drama is his middle name! He really is a cool dog, which is why it's a bit weird saying he won't be staying with us. I just know he has a better fit out there. He's super cuddly and sensitive, and would kill to be someone's 24/7 lap dog. I'm sure he COULD adjust to our household. If I didn't think there was a great fit we'd keep him in a heartbeat, but I think he'd be better elsewhere. Between myself and my family, our dogs get drug around a lot. They're camping, jet skiing, horse showing, swimming, moving livestock, etc. A lot of stuff for a 9 lb. ball of nerves!

And yes, he's a bit barky, and even more screechy. I can handle barking pretty well, but he wouldn't be living with me! If for some reason this home doesn't end up being perfect he'll stay with me for as long as he needs to! This also has put the fostering bug in my ear....

#13 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

Congrats on the new puppy. Sounds perfect.

I love puppies but I have to keep telling myself that I can'tell afford any more dogs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.