BC Boards

Swafford at it again ...

Well, I clearly would not cut it as an investigative reporter!

This afternoon, I called the Sumner Co. General Sessions Court (clerk? it was at a number another clerk's office gave me) and was told that the only way to find out anything about court cases is to physically go there and make a search using a public computer terminal. The records are not available online, and the staff there is too busy to look up case histories for people who call. However, the records are open to anyone who makes the trek to Gallatin to review them in person, and the only cost to the user is $.50/page to print.

Having heard through the grapevine that Swafford had gotten a continuance, I did go ahead and call the Sumner Co. Animal Control again, to see if the folks there could tell me anything about the timetable for the dogs to be released. They said the case has been postponed, and they don't yet know when things will be resolved.

Sorry not to have more definite answers, but it doesn't sound like there's much to do now except wait and see what's next.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swofford received another continuance in court today, BUT he relinqueshed ownership of the dogs and pups. We will check Monday on placement of them.

etaylor, West TN Border Collie Rescue

Relinquished ownership? Why, I thought he didn't own them and was just keeping them as a favor to a friend, out of the goodness of his heart. :rolleyes:

Well, that sort of pre-supposes goodness - and a heart... :rolleyes:

I would have to bet he was told things would go better if he didnt tie up the dogs. He wouldnt do anthing out of the goodness of that black chunk of a heart. That man can burn as far as I'm concerned. Wait possibly we can put in a cell where he can barely turn aroudn with no light and make it really extra filthy.

Sheryl

Edited to ask does anyone know how to matt his hair painfully that would be a nice touch also

I would have to bet he was told things would go better if he didnt tie up the dogs. He wouldnt do anthing out of the goodness of that black chunk of a heart. That man can burn as far as I'm concerned. Wait possibly we can put in a cell where he can barely turn aroudn with no light and make it really extra filthy.

Sheryl

Edited to ask does anyone know how to matt his hair painfully that would be a nice touch also

You said it exactly, Sheryl! It's quite personal now that I have one of "his" dogs. There's no punishment too harsh for him.

This story continues to be (for me, at least) confusing.

I have been told that Swafford released the dogs late last week, and they have all now been placed. (By my count, 12 adopted out from the shelter and 8 to rescue--but this is merely my personal accounting, not any official records.) A rescue friend did run into someone from Sumner Co. animal control bringing one of the pups to a local s/n clinic before it was going to its adoptive home.

Today another friend called the clerk's office to see if she could be more successful than I was at learning about the legal cases themselves. She was told that the cases had been disposed of, but the person with whom she spoke would not share how they were disposed of. However, Swafford's name does not appear in a "current inmate" search at the sheriff department's website.

Today I emailed the reporter who provided some recent coverage (see Portland Puppy Mill Breeder Busted Again) and asked him if he might follow up on the story. I also shared with him a link to this thread.

This story continues to be (for me, at least) confusing.

I have been told that Swafford released the dogs late last week, and they have all now been placed. (By my count, 12 adopted out from the shelter and 8 to rescue--but this is merely my personal accounting, not any official records.) A rescue friend did run into someone from Sumner Co. animal control bringing one of the pups to a local s/n clinic before it was going to its adoptive home.

Today another friend called the clerk's office to see if she could be more successful than I was at learning about the legal cases themselves. She was told that the cases had been disposed of, but the person with whom she spoke would not share how they were disposed of. However, Swafford's name does not appear in a "current inmate" search at the sheriff department's website.

Today I emailed the reporter who provided some recent coverage (see Portland Puppy Mill Breeder Busted Again) and asked him if he might follow up on the story. I also shared with him a link to this thread.

Well isnt that special that they adopted them out locally. Instead of getting them out of the area. What's their policy on Spay and neuter there? some are piss poor. There is one where you pay 5 dollars in Ky and take your dog no questions asked.

I will be so angry if all he gets is a slap on the hand again.

Latest news coverage, just posted today: Swafford to serve 10 days in jail for animal cruelty. The sentence includes a lifetime ban from contact with animals, and I thought folks might particularly appreciate this paragraph from the story:

To monitor Swafford, Lamberth said that deputies will drive by his farm, and probation officers will make random home visits to ensure compliance with the ban. They also use tips from neighbors and other concerned citizens who might either hear animals or see such things as Internet ads or Facebook messages.

I would like to know how long his probation sentence lasts. The enforcement will only work as long as some one checks out his house, and if his probation is short he can pick up and move once he is done and no one would be the wiser. DH is a probation officer and he says he has never heard of lifetime probation for animal cruelty. (He handles cases from other states on a daily basis so he sees a lot of what other states are doing)

The biggest concern IMHO is if Swafford moves, how in the world could the lifetime ban go with him legally? It would seem to me that the state that imposed it would be the only one that could enforce it... especially if he is no longer under state/county supervision. Does anyone have any idea?

The thing I find depressing about all this is that as soon as he has access to a telephone he can be back in business with his internet partners. His money buys dogs that his partners warehouse and market for their usual fee, and he's back in business like nothing ever happened. He may well have set it up already.

My only consolation is that he may have an "accident" in jail. Cons don't like child or animal abusers - even they have their standards.

Too bad that he can't spend those 10 days in a crate, with limited excersize, lousy food, no fresh air, a mesh floor..........and, oh yeah - occasional visits from ...........well, I can't really say.

*sigh*

Archived