BC Boards

Miniture Border Collies

Flickas Mom

I had a Border Collie that showed up in the dead of winter many years ago. Efforts to find an owner were unsuccessful. My kids were young and pleaded to keep her which we did. She was a wonderful dog. She has since passed away and I would like to get another BC. I have nothing against responsible breeding but would prefer to get a dog from a rescue. I found a dog at a shelter (not a breed specific rescue) that was listed as a BC. I am in another state but from the pictures she looks small. When I asked about it they said the vet that had brought her to the shelter had called her a miniature BC. I know this isn't an official breed. When I asked for clarification of if she was a mini or just on the small side of the bred range they said she was just a small BC. I am told she stands 16" tall at the shoulders and in a sitting position the top of her head is 23". She has the BC look. She was originally listed as a pure bred. Is this possible with her shorter height? I googled mini BC's I found an old post on this site about how all mini BC's have problems. I have rescued feral cats before and am not adverse to dealing with issues but would like to know what I may be getting into. Can someone tell me what I need to know about mini BC's.

Thanks!

Nobody here would advocate anything but responsible breeding and breeding a "miniature Border Collie" is not responsible breeding but there are people that do that sort of thing. Who knows what the pedigree background is of this dog? Working-bred Border Collies come in a great range of sizes so even if she's small, that's no indication that she was bred for small size. If she was, she might not even be all Border Collie as some even less scrupulous breeders will cross with other breeds (like Papillions, for onstance) to produce "minis" in a single generation. Therefore, I don't think anyone could predict what she will be like with any certainty. And shelters try but they are often mistaken when they try to identify the breed(s) that a dog is made of.

What I'd say is if you like this dog enough that needs and deserves a chance, adopt her no matter if she's small, a mini, a crossbred, or whatever. If you like a dog, she will please you. If you don't like a dog, she won't. I hope you like her and she's a good match for you. If not, that she finds the right home with someone else.

Very best wishes!

What I'd say is if you like this dog enough that needs and deserves a chance, adopt her no matter if she's small, a mini, a crossbred, or whatever. If you like a dog, she will please you. If you don't like a dog, she won't.

I agree with all of what Sue say above, but especially this.

My very best wishes as well.

I have seen purebred border collies that weighed less than 30 pounds. It is not super common, but it can happen. If it is a crossbreed with a smaller breed, that can be a great combination or a nightmare - you never know. We have all seen both. Shelters and rescues are infamous for mislabeling dog breeds, especially with mixes

. Main thing is whether or not the dog suits you when you meet her.

Best of luck to you and to the dog.

There's no such thing as "mini border collies." ;) If anyone says they're breeding them, all they're doing is putting small and smaller border collies together. So honestly, unless there are some red flags in her rescue records that concern you, I wouldn't worry about inheriting some mysterious health problem. She shouldn't be any more risky than any other rescue.

That said, border collies do come in all sorts of sizes. 16 inches is pretty small, but I've seen several other tiny border collies - some from normal working lines! They were perfectly healthy and could still run like the wind on their tiny little legs. :rolleyes: So I'd say if she speaks to you, go for it. The worst that may happen is that you'll have an adorable little dog you can dry off with a hand towel. :P

~ Gloria

I agree, if the dog suits you, adopt her. Border collies do come in all shapes and sizes, My first BC was 60 lbs! Right now I have a leggy 50 lb boy that is about 22 inches at withers. but his half sister is under 30 lbs and likely only 17 or 18 inches at withers. big range.

I agree with the posters above - regardless of her breed, if she is the right dog for you, go for it. A dog is much more than looks, personality is more important.

With regard to breeding for miniature dog breeds: what I have heard is that "the teeth don't know that they are supposed to get smaller". Basically, many miniature breeds have poor mouths/bites that can lead to vet bills. So hopefully this little dog is not the result of an attempt to breed for a miniature BC, but just a serendipitous cross that resulted in a really cute little dog.