BC Boards

Extreme cold weather

We've been in the deep freeze here for two weeks now. Cricket loves to be outside and doesn't seem bothered by temperatures in the -20 to -30 C (and that doesn't include a wind chill) The dogs still go for their nightly walks (about 1 mile). I haven't really changed the amount of food I've been giving them but I wonder if I should given how cold it's been.

Does anyone feed more if the the temperatures stay colder for extended periods of time? Is there any merit in feeding more?

I don't think you need to either. Kipp spends a few hours in his outdoor kennel every day that the temperature is above the mid-teens (he's got an insulated dog house full of bedding), and does just fine. I fed a little extra at first, to get a little more fat over his ribs (I can still feel them, just not quite as easily), but now he's back to his normal amount and looks and acts great. If he had any more energy I'd have to teach him to shovel the driveway and haul wood :rolleyes:

I took both dogs out last weekend when it was zero, and they didn't act like they noticed the temperature (except for the fact that I made them go back inside after 10 mintues). I'm just glad that running through the deep snow helps to wear them out slightly!!

i dont live where the temperature gets stupid low, but unless the dogs are losing weight i wouldnt worry too much.

if i give mine extra when it isnt needed they either turn into blimps overnight or are stupidly hyper the following day :rolleyes:

if it is cold (by our wussy standards) i will switch the heater on if i am feeling kind :D

the only animals that get extra rations in the cold at my house are the rabbits and rats cos they live in the out house and i always have the window open so they can get fresh air :D

Lambing hits when the temps drop so I think that has more to do with energy requirements than temp here (in North Carolina, where it was 60 degrees yesterday but it will be back around 40 for the rest of the week). Anyway, I don't mess with anything but I do make up some meatball cupcakes which I add to their meals. I started doing this, let's see, two years ago and what a difference it made. It's more or less, the "Satin Balls" recipe, tweaked to my satisfaction. It's a super easy way to add a bit more condition - they digest it nicely, no tummy upset, and it puts on a little padding quickly and a lot of muscle over time.

The recipe is sort of meatloaf textured when done, and I put them in some silicone muffin baking pans I have (these are The Bomb by the way - I love my silicone bakeware) and freeze them. My dogs get a half cup per day, a non-working dog would get more like two or three tablespoons max! This is potent stuff. Once it's frozen, my lovely muffin pans just turn inside out and I can pop the meatloaf cupcakes in bags in the freezer and get them out as needed. The dogs eat them frozen! :rolleyes:

Interesting. I was thinking of posting about Summer versus Winter feeding. Dylan is coming up for 3 years old and I have been adjusting his food to keep him lean. I have found that I have to reduce his food in the Summer as he will gain weight if I don't. It is horribly hot and humid so he gets less than half the exercise he gets in the Winter months. He is out for the same amount of time - just can't run around so much. I wouldn't ever feed him extra to keep him warm. Just to keep his weight up if I thought he was losing too much.

Rebecca:

That sounds like a great recipe/method!!! Can you tell us what is in these? I notice weight loss on my Kelpie when she is working- it is weird; if she isn't working, she is fit and trim, when she is she is really ribby.

Julie

Lambing hits when the temps drop so I think that has more to do with energy requirements than temp here (in North Carolina, where it was 60 degrees yesterday but it will be back around 40 for the rest of the week). Anyway, I don't mess with anything but I do make up some meatball cupcakes which I add to their meals. I started doing this, let's see, two years ago and what a difference it made. It's more or less, the "Satin Balls" recipe, tweaked to my satisfaction. It's a super easy way to add a bit more condition - they digest it nicely, no tummy upset, and it puts on a little padding quickly and a lot of muscle over time.

The recipe is sort of meatloaf textured when done, and I put them in some silicone muffin baking pans I have (these are The Bomb by the way - I love my silicone bakeware) and freeze them. My dogs get a half cup per day, a non-working dog would get more like two or three tablespoons max! This is potent stuff. Once it's frozen, my lovely muffin pans just turn inside out and I can pop the meatloaf cupcakes in bags in the freezer and get them out as needed. The dogs eat them frozen! :rolleyes:

hi Kris,

Yes its cold and yes I am eating more and No, I am not walking more because It's Too Cold!

(This is a test post to se if you can PM me Now)

Okay, so long as I use Jo, I can send the message - even though you still come up as Jo&Tex if I just do the 'reply' - Does that make sense??