BC Boards

PETA is at it again.

Dixie_Girl

I saw this on MSN this morning, but when I went back to link it here, it was gone! The vice-pres of PETA sent a letter to Ben & Jerry's telling them to stop using cows milk and start using human breast milk. Said it would be better for us, and make several cows happy! That milking the cows was so horrible to the cows. Of course, the other day I saw a thing on TV about a farmer that was using an automatic/robotic milker. It is set up so the cow simply goes into the stall, eats grain and gets milked. The farmer doesn't dictate when they get milked, they do. And he said that the cows willingly, and on their own, will go into the stall up to 6 times a day. I reckon PETA hasn't got the word out to them how horrible milking is for them.

I know this isn't about dogs, but thought it was just an interresting and to me, crazy, antic of PETA.

So, I've never been to a dairy farm in the U.S. but the ones that I have visited in Canada were pretty nice and I didn't see any cows being beaten into the stalls or objecting to getting milked, I would assume it's similar across the border. Wouldn't it be a bit of relief for the cow to get milked because once their utters get full, I would imagine it gets painful? AND really, how good would human breast milk be for adults to consume, there are a lot of hormones and stuff in breast milk that we, as adults have no use for anymore isn't there? Anyway, my two cents on that one.

The ability of weaned humans to digest lactose is a trait acquired through evolution. People who were able to digest lactose had a nutritional advantage over those who didn't, and were more likely to reproduce and pass along the ability because they didn't starve to death. That's probably one of the reason that milk production occupies such rarefied space in agriculture today.

Robotic milkers have their share of problems, the biggest of which in my estimation is that no one is checking the cows' udders two or three times a day. Lots of mastitis will surely be missed. There's a learning curve for the cows as well, and until they learn where they have to go to get grain and be milked there are some problems. The computer will tell you that 184 hasn't been milked for 24 hours, but it won't tell you if, for instance, it's because there's a rivalry between 184 and 137, and every time 184 tries to get to the station 137 pounds the snot out of her. Or because she's in heat and is simply being witchy.

Well, this one was so obviously over-the-top that no one will ever take it seriously. And it isn't actively evil, either, so for me it's just entertainment - Something good for a quick chuckle, and then to be forgotten.

And apparently, PETA has taken notice of the ridicule they've recieved, so... It's over and done.

AHA! I have sheep milk cheese! I have goats milk cheese! I make sheep's milk milk shakes and goats milk salad dressing! I just asked my Goats and sheep if they care if they are milked......they said! BAAAAAA to Petttaaa.

I agree there is often cruelty in the factory farming industry (something I avoid by being a vegetarian and some do by going to small farmers/ranchers and butchers who don't rely on factory farming), but as PETA's not too shy to state they want "total animal liberation"- to eliminate all domestic animals, I rarely pay attention to what they have to say. I'll stick to animal welfare, not extremists like PETA who want to take my best friend away.

Trouble is many people see the big celebrities supporting PETA and take their name (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) at face value, and consider it a worthy organization, not knowing much about them.

Hopefully, this type of publicity makes the public more aware of their issues.

I know this grossed everyone out at work today...including me! :rolleyes:

I've come across this bumber sticker a few times and it always makes me laugh. PETA- People Eating Tasty Animals.

I am surrounded by dairy farms, and see the cows out in the fields happily chewing on their cud. Doesn't look like they have been tramatized by being milked.

Sorry PETA, I could never give up chocolate chip mint or cookie dough ice cream, , I guess I like cows milk just a little too much, and sheep cheese isn't half bad either.

Samantha

I used to live down the road from PETA. What a bunch of wierdos :D I'm all for animal rights, but come on! If we "liberated" every animals in the world from "domestic hell", we'd have one giant mess on our hands :rolleyes:

If they are soooooo concerned about the animals, they should take that mutimillion dollar office building of theirs, sell it and start paying for all the spay/neuters in the country. What they must pay in taxes alone on that place could "fix" a lot of problems :D

When I used to milk goats twice a day, they (the goats) would all want to be first out the gate to be milked. I had to hold them back and try to squeeze just one out. Of course the lead doe would always go first and they do eventually learn their place, but they would charge into the millking shed and jump up on the milking stand and start yelling for their grain. They did not mind being milked. If you've ever watched a kid nursing a doe you'd realize a human milking can sure as heck be a lot more gentle than a kid.

in2adventure, you are spot on! That is the prob with these organazations. They become a lot of pomp and circumstance. PETA has come to stand for: People Enlisting Terroristic Antics. They don't really "care" about the animals as much as they care about getting people to go along with all their idiodic claims and ideals. They say we are the only animals to continue drinking milk long after weaning, and they, on one hand say we shouldn't be doing that, then on the other hand they say we should drink human milk. If the "ethic" is that we shouldn't be drinking milk, what is the point in just changing animals it comes from? To me, it's sorta like "war protesters" throwing rocks, bottles, etc. and creating mob destruction, in their effort to end war. They themselves, by doing that, are making war. Just on a much smaller scale. If PETA wants to stop hunting to "protect" wild life, why set fire to a hunting lodge and kill animals and their habitat?

For me, it's not about animal rights, it's about animal responsibility. We are at the top of the food chain. That doesn't mean we should appologize and start grazing with the deer. It does mean we should be good stewards of the animals beneath us. Well, except for cockroaches and fire ants. They were brought here by aliens to terrorize us, so they don't count. :rolleyes:

I've heard claims of them "rescuing dogs from shelters" and euthanizing them. Apparently they think animals are better off dead than "enslaved" and "exploited" ie, "owned" by someone. :rolleyes:

They don't care if they kill animals by burning down buildings with and without animals with them, etc. I don't like Border Collies to be bred for showing but I don't start a group to go burn down RVs at dog shows with animals in them!

I've heard claims of them "rescuing dogs from shelters" and euthanizing them. Apparently they think animals are better off dead than "enslaved" and "exploited" ie, "owned" by someone. :rolleyes:

They don't care if they kill animals by burning down buildings with and without animals with them, etc. I don't like Border Collies to be bred for showing but I don't start a group to go burn down RVs at dog shows with animals in them!

Sad but true.

I was talking to my BF about this last night and we had a real good laugh! Then I had the most insane thought. If farmers are "forcefully impregnating" the cows every nine months to ensure the cows keep lactating, what the heck are they going to have to do to the women who supply the breast milk?! :D

what the heck are they going to have to do to the women who supply the breast milk?!
That is what we were talking about at work! Either they keep women on hormones and start seeing a lot more breast cancer, or people keep getting pregnant to get paid for milk! What a mess that would be! EEEWWWWW on all levels. Maybe PETA women will volunteer themselves for this?... I doubt it.

ETA: AHAHAHA I was hungry and originally spelled PETA, PITA!

Sad but true.

I was talking to my BF about this last night and we had a real good laugh! Then I had the most insane thought. If farmers are "forcefully impregnating" the cows every nine months to ensure the cows keep lactating, what the heck are they going to have to do to the women who supply the breast milk?! :D

LOL :D In humans, a woman can produce milk indefinately as long as she is using her milk. Back in the old days when there were nurse maids and such, rich people would hire women with babies, or women still lactating after losing their baby, to feed their kids so they wouldn't have to breast feed their own kids. This was before formula and before breast feeding was "in". I think it was mostly done in royal families.

And yes, PETA rescues dog and cats to kill them. There is a huge stink about this. About 4 years ago, some PETA workers were going to north and south Carolina to "rescue" animals from over crowded shelters. They told the shelters they were moving the animals to less crowded places or they already had foster homes lined up. The shelters never question it because it was PETA. No follow ups, nothing. They were actually killing them in the back of their van and dumping them in dumpsters. Some guy watched a strange van pull up and dump a bunch of big bags in his dumpster and take off. Of couse he looked to see what all that "stuff" was and imagine his surprise when he found 6 or 7 dead dogs. The poop hit the fan soon after and the two responsible admitted to doing some really bad stuff. The articles should be in past issues of the Virginia Pilot if someone cares to look it up.

Very sad :D Many were pure breds that the shelters thought were going to rescues :rolleyes:

I accasionally milk my neighbors' goat for them. She lives in a big pen with a little barn. The milking stanchion (homemade, but very functional) is outside the fence, and consists of a platform with a head-catch and a feed tray. There are no side gates to keep her in place, no chute to run her down to force her onto the stanchion. If she didn't want to be milked it would be very easy for her to run away when someone goes to catch her (the pen has a lot of trees to dodge behind) or to hide in the barn. She also has horns - which she knows very well how to use - and would be a right pain to get onto the stanchion if she wanted to. She has to exit the pen, jump up on the stanchion and stick her head into the catch (which she does vonluntarily, as she is a greedy wench and wants her FOOD.) Now, I WILL say that she can be a pain to get back INTO the pen.... which proves that if she didn't want to be milked she could make it a big giant hassle.

And: Sheep dairy. Mmmmmmm. (I'm giving this some thought for next spring....!)

P.S. I might point out that I've never once head-butted the goat's udder whilst milking her. The kids, however, have no such compunction.

If they are soooooo concerned about the animals, they should take that mutimillion dollar office building of theirs, sell it and start paying for all the spay/neuters in the country. What they must pay in taxes alone on that place could "fix" a lot of problems :rolleyes:

That has to be the BEST statement I have ever heard!

• 2 weeks later...

This made me laugh...but most likely for reasons other than the majority of the readers. Not that I would want to belittle the utter ridiculousness of some PETArd's actions, but hey.

Dunno if anyone else ever watches Red Dwarf but there was an episode where the crew was sitting around the cockpit of the ship bemoaning the fact that supplies were getting low. Holly- the ship's computer- commented on the fact that cow's milk in particular was nearly gone and they'd had to resort to dog's milk. (cue the eeeeeeeewww!!!) When asked "why dog's milk?" the reply was "because nobody can tell when it's gone off." :rolleyes:

Anyway. My totally random two cents.