BC Boards

whistle CD

Eileen Stein

This isn't a book or a video, but it seems like the right place to mention Kent Kuykendall's whistle CD, which is available here. I think it's the best of the whistle tapes and CDs -- it really gives a clear explanation of the nuances of whistle communication with a dog, as well as the how to's. I've always wished this CD had been around when I was starting out -- if it had, I would have employed his basic set of whistles and their variations for sure.

And to bring this on topic, a booklet of Kent's solid, informative WBC articles on sheepdog training is available from the same site.

I have this CD and I like it a lot. I also think he has a very calm, melodic voice, and is easy to listen to. I keep it in my truck, and practice while driving to work.

I own it, have for years, and keep meaning to listen to it. Me bad. Maybe I will now, if I can find it.

On the calm voice thing, I was at one of his sheep camps a few years ago, or maybe a clinic somewhere, and we were doing shedding. You know when you first start shedding, you get a gap and get all excited and frantic trying to get the dog to come in? Well, I do anway. So his comment was: "You need to be like Eeyore. Say "iiiiiinnnn heeeere Scottttttt". I still think about his advice when things aren't going well in the shed. Not that I can shed, even today. :rolleyes:

A