BC Boards

National Cattledog Finals

Eileen Stein

Francis has asked me to let everyone know that she won't be able to post scores from the Cattledog Finals until she gets back to the motel tonight, because of issues with internet access at the trial site.

She reports that the trial field is fresh and green and rolling -- a pretty setting. Today is the first day of Open, with a 10-minute course. The cattle are not being very cooperative -- typical for the first day. Weather is pleasant but a little windy.

Just got home and the cell service up there is horrible! There is no internet and Francis will be working late tonight. There was a short rain delay (the judges left their stands when the lightning was quite close) and after the rain the cows gave the horses and riders even more trouble than what they gave in the AM. It was quite windy much of the day and it kept the cows a bit light. The draw to the top was quite strong with many dogs loosing their cattle to being off course.

This is a beautiful venue and there are quite a few very good dogs running.

taking a wild guess that the two points is what is left from a crossover, then the cattle bolted the time ran out trying to do a lift?

I heard the cattle are running back but all second hand info. Haven't been able to get in touch with ron who is running three dogs in open so don't know the details.

Uhmmm....yes, but you'd see an RT by my name before I'd post such a score.

You'd think.

I met a man once who refused to retire feeling that that was "quitting". He said he'd take a DQ but never an RT. I hope he's learned better because that kind of attitude doesn't do a dog or the livestock any good.

I guess at the Finals, there's been the good, the bad, and the ugly...

At first I thought that retiring on an outrun after a cross over isn't necessary, but then it occurred to me that in order to get a score the handler would have had to stand there for the entire 10 minutes (minus the time it took to do the outrun) trying to get the cattle down the field. That's a long time not to be making progress. I'm surprised (or not?) that no one called lack of progress on the run.

Although, going back and looking at the scores, maybe the strategy is to get any points you can because if you have a good second go, the combination may be enough to get you in the final round....

J.

Actually, you don't have to stand there the full 10 minutes. You are allowed to retire at any time and keep whatever points you may have accumulated. You are then assigned a full time--10 minutes or whatever the allotted time is,

A

Actually, you don't have to stand there the full 10 minutes. You are allowed to retire at any time and keep whatever points you may have accumulated. You are then assigned a full time--10 minutes or whatever the allotted time is,

A

Thanks for clarifying, Anna.

Wish we could have seen your and your dogs' names in the placings but we understand that circumstances dictated otherwise.

I was there on Thurs and again Sat and Sun. The cattle were tough but even. Dogs that hit first and asked questions later more often than not lost the cows over the hill. The course was tweeked a bit on Fri afternoon and things went a bit better. The dogs with quiet power and push got thru the course fine. According to one cattle owner I know she said they worked "Just like my cows at home", which makes it relevant to the cattle owners wanting a good do as they were able to see some good dogs work under day to day type situations as far as the cattle were concerned.

I was there on Thurs and again Sat and Sun. The cattle were tough but even. Dogs that hit first and asked questions later more often than not lost the cows over the hill. The course was tweeked a bit on Fri afternoon and things went a bit better. The dogs with quiet power and push got thru the course fine. According to one cattle owner I know she said they worked "Just like my cows at home", which makes it relevant to the cattle owners wanting a good do as they were able to see some good dogs work under day to day type situations as far as the cattle were concerned.

Thanks for this, Pam. For someone who couldn't get there, it's nice to hear a commentary about how it went.