BC Boards

Change in whisker color

I have noticed that a few of Kiefer's whiskers are changing from white to black. They were white, but now the new 'growth' (~ 1/2 inch closest to the skin) is black. [i couldn't get a good picture for illustration.] The affected whiskers originate in the black part of the muzzle, while the all white whiskers originate in the white part of the muzzle.

I have seen dogs with different colored whiskers, but I am guessing that what I am observing is puppy -> adult whisker change.

Have others noticed anything similar with their pup?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bandit's white eyebrow is being replaced by black. He only has one last white piece there and it seems that the newer growth is black. Of course, time will tell. :)

I'd guess that's what you are seeing happening - change from puppy to adult.

I've noticed that the tip of One of Lily's ears has begun turning white when it had previously been pure black. I was told by Lily's breeder that their coats and patterns can change slightly over time for years. Typically it isn't a drastic change, but just little things like whisker coloring, nails, and tips of ears.

^^ This pup appears to me to just have lighter pigmentation on her nose and eye rims.

The picture below is an example of what Liz was talking about. The pup's nose may nor may not fill in completely. Sometimes it doesn't with merles, as you can see also in the adult. (http://www.bordercolliemuseum.org/BCLooks/Merle/Merle.html) Pups of any color can be born with this incomplete pigmentation, but it usually fills in as they mature, although there can be exceptions. It's called a butterfly nose.

SkyeAndBlue.jpg

Examples of pigment migration...

8 weeks old, pink on the nose and eye rims

Freyacutepuppy.jpg

6 months old, nose filled in but eye rims still pink

Freyaeye.jpg

4 years old, eye rims mostly filled in, ticking starting to show

Keepstonewaiting.jpg

12 years old, eye rims all black, fair amount of ticking

IMAG0082_zpsbe9e16ca.jpg

2 weeks old, pink nose

week2wrestlewithKvasir.jpg