BC Boards

Can Metacam cause restlessness?

urge to herd

Yesterday, Sam got Shonie's daily dose of Metacam by mistake. The Metacam works well for Shonie, who has pretty severe arthritis in both front paws, as well as her shoulders and spine.

Well, Sam drove me nuts with pacing, some panting, wanting in, wanting out, not being able to settle at all during the day. She slept soundly all night, but up until bedtime, she was almost constantly on the move.

Could it have been a side effect of the Metacam, which she's never had before? She seems a bit calmer today, but we'll see.

Ruth

Hey Ruth,

According to this site that's not one of the side effects normally associated with Metacam, although I guess it's possible that Sam could have been restless as a result of stomach upset due to the Metacam. I use Metacam fairly often for various issues with my dogs (lameness issues) and have never noticed any odd reactions like you describe.

J.

metcam does cause tummy issues, so like Julie said, the restlessness may have been due to an upset tummy.

I personally wont touch the stuff, I am sure it works well for many, but after watching one of my dogs(Perky) nearly die from it(ulcers, elevated liver enzymes, unable to potty, eat, or drink, spending days hooked up to IVs...) just seeing or hearing that name makes me shudder! I switched to a natural cox-2 inhibitor instead..Turmeric!(yes, the spice), Ladybug is 44lbs she gets 1/4 tsp a day, it works like a charm :rolleyes:

I use the human form of Metacam, Mobic, for my arthritis and my oldest dog is on it fairly frequently. It did upset my stomach once, and Bryn's, as well, but the relief it supplies both of us is very welcome.

Archived