BC Boards

A bit embarrassing to ask but...

My puppy is 8 months now...last week and today I have noticed after he has got excited and his willy has come out... it was purple and lumpy looking.

I put my mind at rest this morning when I phoned my vet to ask for advice as the receptionist informed me this is fine for a pup and it can look "messy &swollen after getting excited.

Just thought I'd ask for your experiences on here just to confirm this

We just watched a seminar on stress in dogs and one thing the person said was that arousal and excitement/stress can be pretty closely linked. This "penis crowning" can be associated with a stressful/exciting situation.

Now, I'm no expert and I can't say that it's "always" associated with the situation - I think it just sometimes happens with male dogs for whatever reason (particularly intact males but I think it *may* happen to neutered males occasionally).

The reason it was showing is that it was swollen - that's what causes an erection, when the blood is "trapped" in the penis because little "valves" in the veins do not allow the blood that's entered the penis to flow back out again (which is perfectly normal when aroused).

I hope someone else with more experience and better advice can help you with this. Best wishes!

My mother-in-law's dog had this issue (until he was neutered) and the poor dog was terrified and would try to run away from it, only panicked because it was "following" him! Poor dog. Her vet also said it was normal and that it could happen in any overexciting situation.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Well...my two are neutered and it happens when they get overly excited. It scared me to death at first. I thought Navi had strained too hard or something when he peed and it just got stuck (boy did it ever look uncomfortable). I know that sounds silly but...then I remembered that it does happen due to over excited in neutered dogs.

Oh another thing...and I asked the question on here and got several responses about the "phantom testicles" or what I would call them now...apparently thats normal too. Here's the link to that discussion if your interested.

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...t=010402#000000

Funny this topic should come up, I was wondering about the "phantom testicles" myself. Does anyone know if it's uncomfortable or painful? Here's the reason I wonder: Flash has been limping off and on for a few months now. It started about 1-2 weeks before his neuter surgery, so when he was at the vet's he was x-rayed and that was clear. He'll run around perfectly fine but then sometimes when he's just walking (often when he just got up) he'll be lame. After a particularly bad day I again called the vet who said that it's probably a sprain that hasn't had a chance to heal (what with 4 dogs always running and playing). She suggested resting him to see how he was. The thing is, he'll hold his back left foot right off the ground sometimes and I'll start to massage around his hip area and thigh. When doing the thigh I'll have one hand on the inner thigh and one on the outer area. I've noticed that almost every time he's got that swelling and it's rock hard. That's what makes me wonder, can this actually be making him lame? After a while he'll be perfectly normal again and he has no trouble running around and rough housing with the other dogs.

Black Jack at the shelter does, um do that too when I first come into the shelter and see him. At first I thought maybe it was something bad, but I found out that after I'm there for a little while and I start walking him, it I guess quits. :rolleyes: I'm used to these kinds of questions being around animals, but not talking about them with everyone. lol. There's nothing to weird to talk about on here though.

Before last year, I thought Jake was normal, but then he tore his ACL and had to spend 4 weeks in his crate, and I suddenly discovered that Jake likes to "play with himself" lol. Boys have to find a way to occupy themselves when they're stuck in a crate 24/7, lol. And sometimes when I'd let him out to go poop and pee, I'd feel those bulges (I had to get a towel around his belly to support his bad leg) and I freaked out. I think my first thoughts were "botched neuter!!!" But 10 seconds later, when I felt back there again, they were gone. Totally mystifying. But then I searched around and found out what it was, and it was the FIRST I'd ever heard of it (the bulges, anyway, though I didn't know neutered dogs could "come out" either)

Timmy (intact) often grew a "large one" to say hello when I came to visit him. I don't think he meant it as a personal compliment :rolleyes: - he was just ecstatic to get out of that boring garden for a while. Anyway, it never did him any harm.

My dog hasn't had that problem. He's a year and 5 months and have yet to see him try to hump anything. I don't know if that is normal or not. But he doesn't try even around female dogs.

Now I'm watching a friend's Chihuahua while they are off in Rehab. That thing will try to hump my dog every now and then. But all he gets is air because his front feet barely reach the belly of my dog.

Darby's been neutered for 8 years and frequently has erections and involuntary humping. Sometimes it gets so bad, he collapses to one side until it goes away. The vet had me bring him in right after one of these episodes to draw blood and check his testosterone levels. Nothing was out of the ordinary, but this still goes on today. Poor guy, the look of agony on his face and how his body stiffens up - all that tension and no outlet for it!!

So if a male dog is fixed do they still try to hump female dogs? Or can you teach them not to?