BC Boards

Coughing/sneezing/wheezing spasms

bc4ever

Scooter just came in from playing outside with DH. He was panting, but not heavily, then suddenly started these coughing/sneezing/wheezing, hiccup type spasms. Almost like he had something stuck in his throat or wasn't breathing properly. Very strange. He seems fine now. Any idea what this might be? Kind of scary sounding. :D He's been licking his paws a lot lately. Allergies? He's had allergies during the summer before. DH said he was "trying to eat some of those long weeds in the back yard.." I don't think we have foxtail here, but am wondering what those "long weeds" are. :D Maybe will try some Bendaryl tonight and see how he is in the morning. :rolleyes::D And figure out what those weeds are!

Was he doing what people call a "reverse sneeze"? It's hard to describe with words but can sound really odd the first time you hear it, and I have a dog that does it for no apparent reason. If I distract him, it'll stop. At any rate, Benadryl won't hurt, and it's possible he just breathed in something that irritated him a bit and that was his reaction.

ETA: Here's a video of a dog reverse sneezing. Is this similar to what Scooter was doing? My Farleigh's reverse sneezes are a lot more more forceful than those of the dog in the video, but you get the idea. You can find lots of similar videos on YouTube.

J.

Was he doing what people call a "reverse sneeze"? It's hard to describe with words but can sound really odd the first time you hear it, and I have a dog that does it for no apparent reason. If I distract him, it'll stop. At any rate, Benadryl won't hurt, and it's possible he just breathed in something that irritated him a bit and that was his reaction.

ETA: Here's a video of a dog reverse sneezing. Is this similar to what Scooter was doing? My Farleigh's reverse sneezes are a lot more more forceful than those of the dog in the video, but you get the idea. You can find lots of similar videos on YouTube.

J.

Yup! That's what it sounded like! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Pam

One way to interupt these is to get eye contact w/your dog and fake a yawn, this will often cause your dog to yawn, and most of the time that will stop the sneezing action. This probably works about 70% of the time for us.

My foster boy, Rhys, does that occasionally. The sound he makes is more liquidy than Julie's video, but otherwise pretty similar. I haven't found any clear trigger. It only lasts a few seconds at a time and he doesn't have any allergy problems or other issues connected with it. Maybe some pollen or dust gets into his nose?

Rhea does this a lot when she goes swimming. We think she's getting some water in her lungs or something. We tell her to stop diving head first but she never listens. :rolleyes:

On a side note I went from the video posted to a video of a puggle reverse sneezing...and the owner was plugging its nose trying to get it to stop...does that seem wrong to anyone else?

Sounds like allergies. My dogs are terrible this year, sometimes it sounds like a TB ward at night ;-( Mostly my Mike dog. Liz has been particularly bothered this year, she was itcihing as well, her coat looks terrible and thinning, her skin was red....took her in, vet said she had hives, and that a lot of dogs were having problems this year. All my dogs have been itching (no fleas) but Liz was the worst, vet gave her a shot of Depo Medrol (steroid) , and it seems to have helped some. A lot of my friends with Border Collies, seem to be having the same problem this year, terrible itching, hair loss, inflamed skin....wonder if it has something to do with the drought.

Betty

Once again, lots of good suggestions and a much needed "Don't worry, it's probably just..." :rolleyes: You guys are great!

Thanks!

Pam

On a side note I went from the video posted to a video of a puggle reverse sneezing...and the owner was plugging its nose trying to get it to stop...does that seem wrong to anyone else?

I always put my hand over my dogs nose when they reverse sneeze....They have to take a breath through their mouth which seems to stop the reverse sneeze. It's only for a couple seconds.

Janet