BC Boards

An Admittedly Odd Sheepdog Trial Etiquette Question

terrecar

Another admittedly odd sheepdog etiquette question:

I don't want to busy up the board by creating another topic, but I am wondering... If someone wants to slip in after a trial is underway and view for maybe only an hour or three, rather than making a day long commitment of it, is that acceptable? Would it create an annoyance for the host who has given a welcome to spectator(s)? I hope it is okay to ask this question here, as I don't want to pester a host with questions (other than asking permission to attend).

I get the feeling you worry a bit too much... ;)

Probably, but I hate to impose on people. I figure if my question is annoying here, people can just roll their eyes and ignore it. lol If I email the host, they might feel obligated to answer because it's more personal. :)

ETA: I consider it a privilege just to be allowed to come!

Thank you Gentle Lake. I know it is a rather odd question, but there seem to be quite a few trials held at private, rather than public venues. The only thing I have to compare it with, in terms of venue, is a local breed club 'fun match', and there are some of those where parking might be an issue. IOW you might have to ask someone to move their car so you can leave.

Yes, it's fine to come for a few hours. Generally you won't get any sort of big welcome since people are busy, but feel free to introduce yourself and politely ask if it's ok to set your chair down in your desired location. Most people will be happy to answer questions as long as they aren't about to run a dog.

Don't approach people with a crook and a dog that look like they are waiting to run. They often have a pre run routine to get themselves and their dogs mentally ready.

Whatever you do, do NOT park right on top of another car. At trials, people generally want several car widths between their vehicle and the next closest one. This is so it's easier to get dogs, crate, gear, etc in and out of vehicles.

Do NOT walk right behind a vehicle with the rear hatch open (or right next to any vehicle with dogs crated inside). Give it plenty of space so you don't disturb them and create a barking frenzy.

If a vehicle is parked all alone, far away from others, don't park near it or go anywhere near it. The owner may have a highly reactive dog inside and was looking for a a secluded spot for their fearful dog.

Thanks, Liz. These are the types of things a newcomer might want to know. I am not personally inclined to seek out social interaction, but there are so many other ways one can be unintentionally gauche at an unfamiliar public event lol.

Yes--people come and go all the time. Some will only show up in time for their class, or leave right after it is over. Dog trials are pretty casual events. Liz has some good pointers as far as parking, etc. The biggest, and she points it out, is not to try to talk to someone who appears just about to run. And after someone's run, give them a few minutes, too, especially if it was not a stellar run :rolleyes:

A

I'll add to these suggestions: (1) please do NOT throw anything for your dog if you brought it along. This will just get most other Border collies in eyeshot ramped up. (2) I have no problem at all with anyone borrowing my chair. I have a HUGE problem with people allowing their dogs to pee on my chair or camera backpack (which I normally leave on the seat of my chair so as to make it a less tempting target, but if someone borrows my chair they may set it on the ground and then forget to return it to safety when they leave).

As others have said - trials tend to be fairly casual environments with friendly people. You may not find people will come up and introduce themselves to you, but as long as you're not disturbing someone about to run, most people would be happy to explain what's going on.

The whole "private/public" distinction is a little blurred, as most trials are open to anyone who cares to enter, whether or not they've ever met the trial host. It is, however, a small enough community that most people start to get to know each other after a while.

Dear Doggers,

Handlers and spectators are guests at every sheepdog trial and should behave accordingly.

You can bring your mannerly dog(s) to most trials and at most there's no leash requirement. A disruptive dog will be asked to leave. If it's hot and you've brought your dogs, you have as much right to parking shade as anyone. If you don't have dogs and shade is limited the courteous guest won't seize it.

Donald McCaig

I think a lot of these rules apply to most dog events including dog sports and herding. Basically don't be a pain, or a big distraction and everyone is happy (or in some cases indifferent) to have you around. The part some people struggle with is not bugging the people who are waiting in line/around to compete in the current event.

^^ Yes--this. That is what prompted me to quit tenting it at trials. I decided the night I crawled into my tent to find my bedding soaking wet that I was just too old for that shit, and when I got home the next day, I bought a small trailer. I have never looked back. I LOVE my trailer! :wub:

A

Me too. I bought myself a tiny little fiberglass trailer that my car can pull. It needs work (it's older than I am) and I haven't used it yet, but I am so excited to have it. My tent, chair, cooler, etc have been peed on more times than I would like to remember. I can't stand it when people release their males to urinate on everything. I've even had a dog or two try to pee on my leg. In one case I swatted the dog on the rear as it lifted it's leg and the owner screamed at me for touching her dog. Well, you don't want me to touch your dog, don't let it pee on me!

One time, at a local trial, handlers were offered 2 paddocks for parking. I got there a touch late. The closer paddock was about 3/4 full. The farther paddock was empty. Since I have a fear aggressive, crate reactive dog, I parked in the far corner of the empty paddock. Imagine how annoyed I was when I came back from my run to find one more car parked there. The idiot had chosen to park so close to me that I couldn't even open my car doors all the way. (WHY would you do that in an empty field? WHY?) Said person had even left all their doors open for ventilation. (Why didn't she just roll down her windows?) Well, I had to get my dog out for my run, so I shut her door so I could open mine. She sees what I am doing and gets mad at me for touching her car. :blink: It totally boggled my mind.

I think a lot of these rules apply to most dog events including dog sports and herding. Basically don't be a pain, or a big distraction and everyone is happy (or in some cases indifferent) to have you around. The part some people struggle with is not bugging the people who are waiting in line/around to compete in the current event.

Yes, in general most of what I see here is good manners and common sense, agreed. But, for example, Alchemist pointed out that it is not acceptable to throw something for your dog at a sheepdog trial. But at a Montgomery County KC terrier specialty you might see more squeaky toys flying than confetti at New Years. Of course it is still common sense, given the different venues, but sometimes people just don't think, and as for me personally, I don't get out much lol.

Ohh I wasn't saying it was a silly question or anything and hope I didn't come off that way :(! I was just pointing out that it seems most (not all) dog events have similar unwritten rules. For example it would be considered poor taste to throw a ball at an agility event near the ring or really even within sight of the ring.

I think that more people should ask question if they are unsure of the common practices at an event.

Since I had already made a post here that was meant for another thread.... I may as well get some use out of it. I finally made it to a sheepdog trial. I have to say that, although the videos and books help one to have at least an idea of what is going on, nothing can prepare you for the experience of actually being there to watch these dogs run. I got there fairly late and stayed less than an hour, so I only saw five dogs run, but it is an experience that I am so glad I fought my social anxiety to allow myself. Maybe I am sentimental, but I'll go so far as to say it is a moving experience to watch these dogs work.

Edited by terrecar

Mmmm.... I was at a sheepdog trial on Saturday, and someone was allowing their intact male dog to wander, freely, unsupervised. A lot of handlers were commenting that they sure wished its owner would keep it leashed. It was peeing on everything in sight, and was also trying to introduce itself to several female dogs starting to go into heat (something their owners did not appreciate). But no one asked it to leave, or asked the handler to leash it.

I have one dog that gets intimidated if an intact male comes up to him and starts posturing. This happened not long ago at a sheepdog clinic that I think you were attending, Donald, as it so happens. Barb spotted what was happening as I was trying to body block the other dog, grabbed my stock stick and said, "HERE's something you can do with this!" as she gave the intruder some stronger dissuasion. I've also been at trials where a loose dog has wandered over to my puppy and snapped at him. "Oh," the owner said calmly, "is your puppy a male? My dog doesn't like males". (Then why the EFF are you allowing it to wander freely?).

Just saying that "no leash requirement" should NOT be taken liberally. Not every dog should be off leash, even at a sheepdog trial. Many handlers will thank you for keeping your dog on leash and under control and away from other dogs.

You can bring your mannerly dog(s) to most trials and at most there's no leash requirement. A disruptive dog will be asked to leave.

The first kind stranger that took me under his wing at the first trial I went to told me that while letting your dog off leash was allowed, if I wanted people to like me, I would keep my dog leash. No problem, I don't let my dog off leash in public. The one guy that let his dog loose to pee on everything had everyone grumbling and everyone telling stories about what had been peed on in the past by the loose dogs.

Dear Doggers,

Ms. Terrecar writes; "Maybe I am sentimental, but I'll go so far as to say it is a moving experience to watch these dogs work."

When a reporter asked Alasdair MacCrae why he trialed he said, "Because it's beautiful." He amended, "It isn't always all beautiful but always there's some part that's beautiful."

Donald McCaig