BC Boards

2014 Pipedream Farm SDT (Sept 19-21) in MD

The entry form is now available for this year's trial (posted on NEBCA and attached here). The opening date is Aug 18th entries recieved prior to Aug 18th will be considered as "first day" entires.

There will be a "Maryland Challenge Award" for the top combined scoring Open dog/handler team at Pipedream Farm SDT & Long Shot Farm SDT: a beautifully designed crook donated by Stuart Ballantyne of Craigmalloch Crooks.

Peggy & Todd's fabulous dinner is back.

The trial field will be similar to last year which was described as a hill trial.

Due to our narrow and rough farm lane, if you will be camping and have a "big rig" (class A, long class C, or large 5th wheel) please contact us prior to coming for special parking info.

Mark

pipedream2014.pdf

It's on my calendar, and I will be there for at least for Friday and Saturday, ready to help in any way I can. I hope to be able to drive up on Thursday and be good to go first thing on Friday.

I doubt I can make the legendary dinner unless I drive home early on Sunday. Maybe I'll have to plan on doing just that!

I'd really love to go! It would be my first herding trial, and I've been waiting for a chance to get out there and gain more experience in the herding world. It's about a two hour drive from where I am, and I figure I could only do a day trip. But still, I'll be clearing a space in my calendar!

I have a few ignorant questions, since this'll be my first trial:

1) I'm assuming we can bring dogs that aren't competing?* I'd love to get Maple out there, but I'm afraid she's not old/skilled enough. Neither am I :) . We'd still enjoy watching!

2) What is seating going to look like? Should I bring fold-up chairs or will they be provided? Or are we just standing?

3) As I mentioned in my first question, I'm one of the younger members on these boards. Is there a certain age a human needs to be to trial their dogs? (In the case I ever get Maple to a trainer, I'd love to trial her!)

4) *Do we need to submit a form if we are just coming to watch?

ETA:

This'll be my first time meeting a "real" herding dog! Mape's dad herds, but he was out in the field both times I was at the breeder's.

Most trials do not object to "mannerly" non-competing dogs. You'd be smart to keep her on leash and if she doesn't stay quiet and polite, putting her up in a crate at your car.

Bring your own chair, umbrella, etc. Dress for the weather in layers and be prepared for anything seasonal (like rain or wind or chilliness or hot sunshine). Bring your own snacks although oftentimes at Pipedream there are apples (it's that season) and light refreshments for the handlers and volunteers. It's only five minutes to McDonald's and Burger King, and other options.

No minimum age, as long as you and your dog are prepared (trained) for the level of competition you will be entering. It's not fair to the stock and to the host to not be reasonably prepared.

Spectators don't need to submit anything, just show up and enjoy!

Most trials do not object to "mannerly" non-competing dogs. You'd be smart to keep her on leash and if she doesn't stay quiet and polite, putting her up in a crate at your car.

Bring your own chair, umbrella, etc. Dress for the weather in layers and be prepared for anything seasonal (like rain or wind or chilliness or hot sunshine). Bring your own snacks although oftentimes at Pipedream there are apples (it's that season) and light refreshments for the handlers and volunteers. It's only five minutes to McDonald's and Burger King, and other options.

No minimum age, as long as you and your dog are prepared (trained) for the level of competition you will be entering. It's not fair to the stock and to the host to not be reasonably prepared.

Spectators don't need to submit anything, just show up and enjoy!

Thank you very much Sue!

I'll have to test Mape's maturity (she'll be almost five months) by then and see if she can come along. I will bring her crate in case she starts acting up. Other than that, you can expect to see my face milling around, dog or not. Thank you for the info.

A question for those who have attended previously: About how many people can I expect to see?

Crowds aren't my... crowd.

We don't advertise our trial for local spectators; our farm lane (1/4 mile long rough and narrow) and parking field cannot accommodate large numbers of spectators. So don't expect more crowd than those competing and a few spectators associated with the sheepdog world. It is a farm trial so don't expect seating or manicured grass to sit on. Expect a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and we do provide a large tent for shade or shelter from rain (knock on wood for clear weather). There will not be an announcer but most handlers will be happy to describe what is going on. Mannerly pets are allowed. Local food includes Burger King, McDonald's, and Subway; there is a creamery close by with ice cream!

How can I have been to all of the Pipedream trials so far and not have heard of the creamery??!?? You guys are keeping things from me!!!!

As soon as I get home, I'll send in my entry for the Sunday trial (one dog for sure, two if I'm feeling really brave - or is it foolhardy???). But I'd be more than happy to help out any way I (and my dog(s)) can on Friday and Saturday - or even earlier if you need assistance in getting things set up. Count me in!!!

Excellent ice cream is reason enough to go! Add in a herding trial and a lot of BCs, and it is a must! I wish I could go.

I brought my 3.5 month old pup to a herding trial. I was there about 2 hours. Most of the time he was in the crate in the car with the fan blowing. [it was quite hot and sunny that day.] I did get him out for a bit to walk around, and then he would lie down by my chair or was happy to be held in my lap (because then he could see the sheep better). At only 3.5 months old, he was just happy to observe everything. He wasn't that interested in (or brave enough) to want to go after the sheep.

• 4 weeks later...

The Open class has filled. At this time we will not be running 3rd dogs. All entries postmarked on or before Aug 18th are in. Entries postmarked on Aug 19th will likely get in. Next week we will be contacting those with entries postmarked on Aug 19th to let them know if they are in. Any entries postmarked after Aug 19th will be placed on a wait list. We will not be running Nursery due to insufficient dogs. There are still openings in Ranch, ProNovice, and NoviceNovice

Mark & Renee Billadeau

• 3 weeks later...

What time(s) are you planning for the handler's meetings each day? (inquiring minds want to know, mostly so that I'm not late scribing Saturday, and also so that I can pry spouse out of bed at the appropriate time on Sunday if he comes along). And I'm assuming that the order on Sunday will be Ranch/Pro-N/Novice-Novice??? (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Handlers' meeting at 6:45am with first dog on the field at 7am each day.

The running orders are attached.

Sunday's classes will run in the order listed on the running order: Ranch, ProNovice, NoviceNovice.

Safe travels.

Mark

Friday Open Running Order.pdf

Saturday Open Running Order.pdf

Novice Running Order.pdf