BC Boards

BOARDS UPGRADE!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Technos,

My Geezerhood prompts a question: What was wrong with the old site?

I go to a site because it contains information I can learn from and understandings which refine, improve and sometimes repudiate my own. Sometimes I look at photos, usually not. For me, content is everything, layout and eye candy are unimportant. "The Twa Dogs" was written with a pen made from a bird's wing feather. no SDRAM no CPU.

Every time Mr.Jobs changes the Mac desktop, I find shareware to revert mine to OS 7.6.5. Why dance to his tune?

Consequently - I understand why pre-geezers might wish to Update (change) this site but as for me; a prettier site, most of whose features I will never use. which initially will be clumsier than the old site isn't a good thing: it wastes some of my time.

We geezers are very conscious of time.

Donald McCaig

Dear Technos,

I go to a site because it contains information I can learn from and understandings which refine, improve and sometimes repudiate my own. Sometimes I look at photos, usually not. For me, content is everything, layout and eye candy are unimportant. "The Twa Dogs" was written with a pen made from a bird's wing feather. no SDRAM no CPU.

Every time Mr.Jobs changes the Mac desktop, I find shareware to revert mine to OS 7.6.5. Why dance to his tune?

Consequently - I understand why pre-geezers might wish to Update (change) this site but as for me; a prettier site, most of whose features I will never use. which initially will be clumsier than the old site isn't a good thing: it wastes some of my time.

We geezers are very conscious of time.

Donald McCaig

I understand geezerhood, would have been perfectly content to continue with the old site (although I think there are some new features here that are nice), and am fine with either. But what I do miss is your marvelous quote that always used to greet me on the entry page of the old site. Really miss it.

I'm not a big one for change normally because it takes me time to adjust, lots of time sometimes!

Dear Technos,

Nothing was wrong with the old site but it is obvious that Heather? & Eileen? spent time (& Money too?) to redo the site so it is polite for folks to notice & comment on their hard work.

As to why they did it- I'd guess they had to-- Cause in this day & age you have to upgrade or you may just become obsolete :D

But what I do miss is your marvelous quote that always used to greet me on the entry page of the old site. Really miss it.

Sue what quote are you referring to?

I fully understand the feeling!! Nothing was wrong with the old bulletin board software. However, software does continue to evolve, and if you don't upgrade and keep your software current, at some point you no longer get any support from the software maker. And you inevitably start to run into compatibility problems, what with the continued evolution of the other software (e.g., web browsers) that your software has to play nicely with. Heather and Eileen make these upgrades as painless as possible for us, and I thank them most heartily!

The upgrade of the overall site was done because we hadn't upgraded for more than three years, and it was reaching the point where it was more difficult to get tech support for the "outdated" software. I think on balance the new features are an improvement over the old (the search feature is much better, for example, and there are features that make mod/admin easier), but I probably wouldn't have upgraded for the sake of those changes alone, and I recognize there's a brief adjustment period that's somewhat burdensome for older people like us. The re-skinning (yesterday's change) was to better integrate the forums with the overall website, and to make the information that's available there more easily accessible to the Boards members, many of whom often didn't even know that there IS an overall website. (Now we need to update and improve that website content, but that's another story, and a longer story.) No harm in sprucing it up with a nice photo and a little color at the same time, or at least no harm that I can see. I go into it knowing you can't please everyone.

I go into it knowing you can't please everyone.

Oh, I think it's beautiful - the shortcomings are mine in that I don't adjust as easily as I'd like to. I do enjoy the vivid colors, like the integration, and only miss Donald's quote (which is one of my favorites).

I understand about getting support (or not) for older applications.

Sue what quote are you referring to?

Donald's quote on the entry page for the website - about the treats sitting unused on the shelf, about the grace involved in the work, and about the partnership between working dog and handler. I *think* it's from Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men but of course I can't find it in a hurry. I guess I'll just have to read the book again, which I always enjoy doing. And bookmark that paragraph.

I like the new look and feel of the boards, and the site in general. Looks a lot more up to date. Great job!

ETA: I do think you should remove the 'Interests' field from the author info though, since it can get cluttered like mine lol.

<-----

Journey looks to have a new avatar, but it doesn't look distorted to me.

As a confirmed Luddite - I also want to thank Eileen and Heather. I know it isn't always easy for some of us to re-train old habits, but I can also appreciate the impossibility of dealing with "old" versions of software no longer compatible with anything. (I spent an entire day this summer trying to resolve a dispute between a 3.5-year-old version of Microsoft Word and a brand-new version of a bibliographic referencing program, which refused to believe that "numeric order" meant 1, 2, 3, 4... and not 1, 2, skip a few, 5, 6... If you think trying to engage in logical discussions with a toddler is impossible, try negotiating disputes between Word and EndNote).

I think the new "skin" looks great! I can't wait to test out the new search capabilities. Thank you all for your efforts!

my formatting is comming out strange....I am getting replies over top of the original posts..it looked weird for a while and I couldnt figer out why pics were cut off and things seemed out of place, but looking at it again today I siddenly realized that I was looking at all one post..with Replies sitting in the middle of them! am I the only one getting this?

I agree that the new site looks great, and I have no problem adapting to change, but I have a less than stellar DSL connection and the new pages take a long time to load, long enough to be a problem for me (I didn't read the first 4 pages of this thread before posting, for instance, because I didn't want to wait for them to load). This never happened with the old board software. Are there any performance tweaks that could be done to speed things up?

It seems like it's the top of the page that's causing trouble, the (excellent) banner photo and the first few bands of purple background. Even after loading, scrolling is jerky near the top of the page, but it smoothes out once the top few bands of purple scroll off the top.

Typing in the reply box has a lag too, maybe because the box is near the problematic top of the page?

Archived