BC Boards

BOARDS UPGRADE!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do not intend to enable the Facebook option at this time, and my thinking right now is not to enable it in the future either.

I agree. No Facebook, Twitter or My Space links would be my choice. Too many problems with spam,cookies, etc. I don't go there at all.

I don't think you need to disable the buttons at the bottom, either.

People who have been sharing links via Facebook (or any of the other options) will continue, and those who haven't aren't going to jump in just because there's 'new' option..........IMHO ;)

I've had both Facebook and Twitter for awhile now, and I don't think I'm going to start rampantly posting links.

I kind of like the look and options, and appreciate the effort.

Thanks, JLJ, sea4th and C&D. I always dread the first week after an upgrade. Nothing looks right, everything's in a new place or changed outright, and it seems like the minuses of the new version are readily apparent while the pluses don't become evident for a while. But it's been more than three years since our last upgrade, and there comes a point where you have to take that leap or you won't get decent tech support anymore.

This is the general look that the Boards will have after the upgrade is complete, but there will be a further change in appearance when the Boards are re-skinned in the next month or so. That will be a purely cosmetic change to integrate them better with the overall All About Border Collies site, and much more minor a process than this one. No big deal, but the Boards have been looking too shabby lately, I think, and the re-skinning should make them look not too shabby.

Whoops. I just tried that button, and it did work. It posted a link to this topic on Facebook.

Here's what I posted on the other "upgrade" thread:

I can see I need to clarify here. Yes, what you post on the Boards can be seen publicly, and always could be. Visitors come here all the time, and people can copy the URL link to a thread and post it on another board or list (Destructo did that, remember?), or on their Facebook page, or email it to a friend, etc. The buttons at the bottom of the page are just another, slightly faster way of posting a link to a Facebook page than copying the link and pasting it in on Facebook. I don't know whether or not we could disable those buttons, but doing so wouldn't prevent people from putting up a link to a thread here on their Facebook page.

What we did disable was a feature that creates some kind of actual linkage with Facebook. I believe it's similar to the Facebook chat function that was used on the Saturday webcast of the sheepdog finals. We don't fully understand its features and ramifications, and that's why we determined not to enable it. Heather is more of a Facebook enthusiast than I am, and she wanted to explore its functions fully and then discuss with me whether we should enable it or not. I am not on Facebook, and I would take a heck of a lot of convincing to enable this function. In any case, we would not do it without putting it up for discussion on the Boards.

I am getting up my courage to try to merge these two threads that almost but not quite duplicate each other.

I went ahead and merged these two threads on the same subject. Not sure whether that made things more confused or less confused. :)

I also took away the facebook, etc. buttons at the bottom for the time being, since it turns out we are able to do that. My own inclination is against having them. While people can certainly put up links elsewhere to topics here, and sometimes that's appropriate and even beneficial, I don't really want to encourage it wholesale. This is a discussion board. It's for people to discuss subjects here, where all of the members can take part and see what's being said. To encourage diffusing the topic to other sites, not accessible to many of us here, seems like fragmenting it and taking it out of context for no good reason. Plus, the feedback I've been getting about it so far has been more con than pro. But there's a poll up on the subject now, so I'll follow it to see how many people have strong opinions and what they are.

What features are not working?

I noticed that the "new content" button didn't take me to the newest post the FIRST time I used it, but on subsequent reads of a previously read topic, it did. I suspect it just got reset during the upgrade, but it's still working the way we expect after we've used it at least once per topic. That's the only thing I've noticed. Looks good! Thanks for all the work it takes to keep the software current.

Boards skin looks nice. Will take some getting used to, but seems to work much like the old one so I'm happy!

I think what we're saying is that the format or whatever is very nice - easy to read! I just have to get used to this but I think it looks (and seems to be working) terrific!

Kudos (and thanks) again to Eileen and Heather!

Eileen,

Don't know if this is related to the upgrade but thought I would mention it. On the board Welcome message, under the bullet point "Border collies should not be registered with the AKC," when I click on the link "read this" I get an error page.

B.

Thanks for the heads-up, I fixed it.

Tip's Mum, I went to your profile and I see 20 friends listed.

I really like that Youtube is embedded now. It would be nice if the "email this post" were still around (or is it, and I just can't find it?). I just sent a link to the transport request to some family in VA, and while it wasn't a big deal to copy and paste the link into the email window and topic title onto the subject line, the automated feature was handy.

Archived