BC Boards

Lines Straight?

catfish

What does keeping your lines straight mean? I'm just starting and really don't understand what

it all means. Thanks for your input.

In a trial, generally the highest points are given when the sheep are moved from point A to point B in the straightest line (like from the lift to the handler's post, or from the post to the drive panels, etc.). Of course, moving the sheep at a steady, not rushed or stressed pace is also important, and so are tight, smooth turns.

Some judges take off points for any small deviation from a fairly narrow "pathway" between elements, and others are more lenient about allowing about a 20' wide "pathway" (the width of the opening between the panels) as long as the work is steady and reasonably direct.

One of the things I just learned is that there is, in a sense, an existing line between the various elements of the course--so it's not just keeping the sheep coming straight to the handler from wherever (which is kind of what I thought initially), but it's keeping them on the line of the course (and like Sue said--how wide or narrow the line is can depend on the judge).

So, for instance, if the dog lifts the sheep and they squirt to the left of the fetch panels and then the dog brings them straight to you without getting them back in the "channel" between the panels, then the sheep are off-line the whole way (even though their particular path was basically straight).

I felt like something of a goober once I realized my misunderstanding...but then again, that seems to be one of the unique and special draws of this activity :rolleyes:

So, for instance, if the dog lifts the sheep and they squirt to the left of the fetch panels and then the dog brings them straight to you without getting them back in the "channel" between the panels, then the sheep are off-line the whole way (even though their particular path was basically straight).

Ugh, tell me about it! I keep forgetting this one, and everyone else can hear the points falling except me. :rolleyes:

I have had drives where we've missed the panels but had relatively nice lines and they definitely get scored higher than drives where we make the panels but our line looks like an EKG machine during a panic attack. So much to learn, so grateful that my dog is so patient with me. :D

Ugh, tell me about it! I keep forgetting this one, and everyone else can hear the points falling except me. :rolleyes:

I have had drives where we've missed the panels but had relatively nice lines and they definitely get scored higher than drives where we make the panels but our line looks like an EKG machine during a panic attack. So much to learn, so grateful that my dog is so patient with me. :D

Thanks for the input. Although now I'm really confused :D Is there a website that I can

read about the kinds of courses, etc.

Hey Catfish,

Check out the Meeker Sheepdog Championship Trial web site. There are definitions & a diagram. The "lines" everyone refers to are the lines or path the sheep travel during the fetch and drive portion of the course.

Confusion? Welcome to my world! :D

MickeyDogs

Thanks for the info. I just went to a fun day trial last weekend and placed third. :rolleyes:

My dog did great. My instructor said my lines could"ve been straighter so I just wanted a little

better idea of reading what she was talking about. I think I've got the trialbug ba-ba-bad.