BC Boards

time and point trials?

kelpiegirl

Anyone ever do one of these?

Julie

Cattledog trials are often done this way, or sometimes partly judged and partly time and points. I ran Celt in a Novice cattledog class once.

One place I go to that is a large indoor arena runs both cattle and sheep trials on time and points. It's different, it's interesting, and (in my limited experience) the handler/dog teams that worked most correctly and most calmly generally won the class. I have to say that, at that venue, the classes are well-designed and challenging, and do reward good handling and training.

Around here, we call point-and-time trials "Arena Trials", and they can be sanctioned by the BC Stock Dog Association. BCSDA differentiates between Field and Arena Sheep for the purposes of year-end points and move-ups.

I've only done sheep arena trials (I am too scared to try cattle) and generally I like them, although I think the emphasis on time can lead to some bad stockmanship. When the sheep and the course are easy, there is nothing left to separate teams except for time. Having said that, we enjoy doing arena trials, and even Bear and Wick have participated in a few (with very little success). Last winter's series was held on Saturday nights (yes, we have very active social lives). We always ordered pizza, there was a lot of good-natured hecklling, and we even had a Christmas Potluck. Hard to holler your dog aroud when you have had one too many rum balls!

I run in cowdog trials and it is Time and Points. The top finishers are quiet controled runs. Sure you get some that place with fast and rough handling but by far it is the quiet controlled ones. Some cowdog trials also have a judged outrun as well.

I just ran in a arena time (time and points) The top finishers were quiet runs. We had bagpipes in the background, and super light sheep. Tess got me spending money for my trip to the UK.

Now, ASCA is another type of trialing all together

Diane

Are you back from Scotland? When can I expect my pup to be delivered? PHOTOS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I have entered us in our first ever trial- S C A R Y, it is a point/time trial. If we can walk off without a disaster, I will be happy. I get nervous just thinking about it.

Julie

I run in cowdog trials and it is Time and Points. The top finishers are quiet controled runs. Sure you get some that place with fast and rough handling but by far it is the quiet controlled ones. Some cowdog trials also have a judged outrun as well.

I just ran in a arena time (time and points) The top finishers were quiet runs. We had bagpipes in the background, and super light sheep. Tess got me spending money for my trip to the UK.

Now, ASCA is another type of trialing all together

Diane