BC Boards

torn dew claw

Hi BC folks,

Emmie tore her dewclaw, it looks like that hard part is just hanging by a thread and the 'quick' is exposed. It's not bleeding actively (the wound itself has some blood but it's not dripping or anything). She doesn't seem in a lot of pain, just a slight limp. She was running around like crazy with it before I noticed she was limping and she didn't want to quit, so I don't think she's too uncomfortable.

She goes in for her spay surgery on Thursday morning (it's Tuesday evening). Do you think this is something that could wait for a day or should I get her in right away?

Regardless, I'll call her vet in the morning.

Thanks

ETA - this should probably have gone in the health and genetic forum, sorry mods. Also, we bandaged it and put some antibiotics on it.

I don't think it will hurt to wait. Every time I've taken a dog to the vet for a torn toenail (and from your description it sounds like the nail and not actually the entire dewclaw that's torn), they've just removed the nail or cut it really short. If you keep it wrapped or otherwise protected so it's not hurting Emmie to be active, then I think the vet could look at it and remove the torn part while she's under anesthesia for her spay.

J.

Thanks, we'll wait for Thursday, that seems like the best plan. She's not worrying on her bandage, so I think she'll be fine until then. Do working folks usually have the dew claws removed? They're really not in a good place for a very active, all terrain kind of dog...

Actually, front dewclaws are in a very good place for an active dog on all sorts of terrain. They provide traction for sharp turns which I find very evident in my dogs with certain work/activity as you can see the wear on the nail part of the dewclaw. Some people feel they also provide a certain level of protection for the leg in hard, athletic work that involves direction changes at speed. While the front dewclaw does not come into contact with the ground during walking (and a lot of normal "pet" activity), it certainly does for my active dogs that work stock and also play hard.

Back dewclaws, which are rarely firmly attached, are another issue. They seem to provide no real function and are at greater risk for tearing.

I can't speak for working people, but I personally don't recommend removing front dewclaws. Even though I've had two dogs rip them like Emmie has (twice each!), I believe they serve a function and it's better to leave them alone. Here's a short article that sheds a little light on it: http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/dewclawexplanation_rev_apr_10_2013.pdf

Although I did have Alex's rear dewclaws removed when he was a puppy. They were very loose and floppy and not attached to the bone like his fronts. I thought the risks of leaving them outweighed the risk of removal.

Thanks, yeah, Emmie can change direction like a jackrabbit and uses the ability to great affect whilst playing with other fast dogs, so perhaps that's how she injured one. Hopefully it'll heal, I'll let the vet check it out. She's been good about leaving the bandage alone, so I'm just leaving it covered until then.

It looked like all the hard stuff was torn off and just hanging by a sliver and just a nub of the quick was left, I hope it regenerates when damaged that badly. Her limping is a bit more prounounced today.

Although it is painful for the first day or two, all the vet has done with mine, is cut back the nail. I think once she gave me an antibiotic in case of infection (which hasn't happened with any of them). The nail will definitely grow back. Jack ripped his off entirely, leaving just the bloody quick, and it's back to a normal dew claw now.

The only thing I would suggest in terms of veterinary care, is that if the quick that is exposed is split down to the bed (where it joins the toe), you may wish to have a vet check it out. It may need to be removed to avoid infection and the possibility of a defective nail growing back, one that is more subject to further damage.

Celt had one nail that for years was a bit odd - compared to his other nails, it was brittle and shelly, and tended to get splits and tears, always wearing down faster than his other nails when on abrasive surfaces. Finally, he came up limping and I found the entire nail gone - and, ickier than that, the quick was split right down the middle to the nail bed (where it joins the toe). It was something that the vet felt would benefit from being clipped close, a course of antibiotics, and a few days to a week of gentle exercise with a good wrap to keep it clean.

We did that and I have been surprised to find that the nail has actually grown back in stronger than it was, and it is not easily discernable from his other nails either in appearance or in wear, and it does not tear, crack, and split like it used to do.

Just another thought *if* the quick is split, torn, or otherwise significantly damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd update this. The vet trimmed up the torn claw during her spay surgery and perscribed a 10 day course of antibiotics and bandaged it. We've run the course of antibiotics and the bandage if off. It's still a stub, currently, but not bothering her anymore. Hopefully it will grow back.

As an aside, the spay went really well. The incision was no more than 1.5 incheses with internal stitches and Emmie was walking around as if nothing happened within a day. We had a perscription for sedatives to keep her activitiy level down and painkillers. We used the former for several days just to keep her relatively sedate so she could rest and heal, but stopped the painkillers after a day as she seemed to be a little too comfortable and I was thinking it would be better for her to feel some discomfort rather than over exerting herself.

Anyway, all meds ceased after several days and since then, the only difficulty has been a steadily increasing restlessness. I'm beginning to see how border collies can be problematic in the wrong situation! Thanksfully, tommorrow will be a full two weeks and I'll be able to let her off her lead for a well needed freak out session as she's really, really wanting to cut loose and run.

I avoided getting this spay done (too much information isn't always a good thing), but I was under contact to do it, and now I can say that it wasn't a big deal and she seems to be back to her old self. She'll turn two years old this month.