BC Boards

How did you name your farm/ranch?

JaderBug

Just curious how everyone here who has named their farm/ranch came up with the name... did you use your name? a local geographic feature? something else?

When I DID have a farm, my ex-husband raised Angus cattle. I have a pretty sick sense of humor and came up with the name "Kiss my Angus Farm" with lips on the Angus butt. Here's a pic of one of our sweatshirts.

KMA.jpg

My wife and I bred BCs with the kennel name Tan y Bryn fom 1976-1982. It's Welsh and means under the hill. It was also the name of the cottage we lived in. My roots are partly celtic as well John my maternal grandmother was Welsh.

I dont have an official name for my place, but I use to know some folks in Utah with the last name of Needmore. Over their drive way, that had a big log and wooden structure with the name of their ranch on it. It was called.......are ya ready for this? I still think its a hoot!

Needmore Land and cattle Company.

My heritage is Nordic (Viking all the way :rolleyes: - Finnish with a bit of Swede thrown in - not to mention some English as well ). I have always loved runes so when we moved to this farm, my DH built this runestone for me. The runes translate to 'sanctuary' which is the heart name for my place. It is truly my sanctuary. :D However, calling it Sanctuary was a bit pretentious, and Runestone Farm was already being used so my farm is called Whispering Rune Farm. Whispering since we have a lot of pine trees here and the wind 'whispers' through them :D

post-3503-1236911675_thumb.jpg

My DH insisted we name our place Narita Farms and named our road Narita Lane. Quite embarrasing at first and hard to explan to everyone who asks our address. Our website is NaritaFarmsAussies. Kris, I am half Finnish and German. Hubby's family is from Norway. Small world. N

Northfield is a Shape Note tune in the Sacred Harp song book. It's a simple tune, with a wonderful fugue as the second line of each verse. It was also the name of the group I sang with in Maine. It always seemed that no matter how off we were that night, or how many new people were there, Northfield (the song) always sounded beautiful, the harmonies perfect. Singing is such a release for me- at that time I was writing my thesis, and it was such a renewing time belting out old songs!

About a year before I started my farm, I had a dream where there was a sign that said Northfield Farm with plants sprouting out of the stems of the shape notes. I had never considered it for a farm name until then, but it was immediately perfect.

Our farm is Windy Hollow Farm, for very obvious reasons.

Any time some came to the farm, they always commented on "my, how windy it is here!" The land slopes gently downwards, so Windy Hollow suited it well.

The guy came to deliver hay last weekend. He says "wow, it's windy here, wasn't windy back at my place" I said "yup, that's why it's called Windy Hollow Farm!"

We started training with Mary B. when we lived on an acre. I had some stock options from my employer and we dreamed of the day when these could buy us a farm. My employer's stock went from $8/share to >$30/share at the same time Mary B asked if we would be willing to buy and split some property with her. The combination of these two events helped a pipe dream of ours come true. We started thinking of names and the one that stuck was:

Pipedream Farm

Mark

(This was our first user ID here and Renee uses this one still. My ID was created when I joined the H&G committee)

Hello Everyone,

My farm name is "Trial & Error Acres" for two reasons. First, I learned about keeping and managing sheep mostly by "trial and error", so the name seemed quite appropriate. Also, the purpose of the farm was to train my dogs for stockwork and sheepdog trials. So, we would go to a "trial" and make an "error", which we would then come home to correct. Hopefully, I have learned a lot in the seventeen years I have had the farm, but there is always more to learn.

Regards,

nancy

We live near a historical village of Sogn. The area we live in is called the Sogn Valley area, hence the name of our farm is Sogn Valley Farm. It is a Norwegian name and there is a Sogn Valley in Norway too. I am 1/4 Norwegian so it fits. There is one other name that I would have considered as it is almost always windy here is Crosswinds.

Kathy Flynn

Sogn Valley Farm and Border Collies

http://sognvalleybc.blogspot.com/

Well, I avoided the name a friend came up with (nutcracker farm) too many connotations for that one :rolleyes: I went with the simple fact we have 3 creeks - 3 Creeks Farm.

oh pooh, you have all sorts of trees with nuts on that place. pecan, walnut, oak... I thought it was a good name :D

A friend named out farm Lochlea. Loch for the lake, and lea for the "common meadow for animals". I found out later that was the name of the farm where the poet Robert Burns lived as well. lea is also Old English, and my last name is also English.

My farm started out as a horse farm, although it now includes border collies and sheep. When I was in college I showed on the equestrian team and took a horse named Timber to nationals. All of my dogs are named after horses I have shown and my first border colliex was named Timber after that special horse. When I got my own farm, we were sitting around with my very young puppy (before my mom stole her) that I rescued from the pound and someone said "boy timber has a view now that she is here and not in the pound." That is how Timber's View Farm came to be named!!!

When i first got sheep, i set up a little co-op of a few folks. I found someone willing to let us use a little land in exchange for fencing and upkeep for a couple of years. Near to the property was one of those small community signs indicating "Shoofly", North Carolina. We all got in the habit of saying we were "going to Shoofly" to work the sheep. When that arrangement was over, i found more land and this time bought it. I tried several different farm names in my mind but nothing ever stuck or felt quite right, so i finally decided Shoofly Farm was just meant to be. Over the years things have changed and people have come and gone, but we've also come full circle and have a nice little group/co-op, 3 of us being original "Shooflyers" and friends for life. :rolleyes:

Back when my ex was here, we were The Valley Center Stockdog Training Center, since I am located in Valley Center, CA. But at least 10 years ago, I decided I was NOT going to stay in SoCal forever, so I needed a name that was transportable, so it could go with me when I get the heck outta here. So--Stockdog Ranch. Not terribly original, but it clearly states what I do.

A

Yeah, right? :rolleyes:

If I HAD a farm, I think I'd name it St. Somewhere Farm.

dude, paula, that's an awesome name. I'm jealous. I spend inordinate amounts of time trying to figure what I'm going to name my pretend farm when I'm daydreaming. I'm such a nerd.

My last place, "Thunder Hill," sits in a clearing just below the top of a low ridge, which leads out from a local high point. (Round Top "Mountain," with the Ski Roundtop resort, just south of Harrisburg, PA would be right up the road if it weren't a dead end.) Lots of scruffy trees on all sides, and storms skimming over the saddleback. The property takes a lot of near-misses from feral electricity during storms. And non-misses. A couple of years ago, the barn got hit twice and the house once, over the course of the summer and early fall.

My new place is "Hex Hill." I love it dearly, it's coming out the way I hoped (just moved in late last October), and I believe it'll be wonderful in the long run. But from the beginning of this project, nothing has gone right the first time. I've put it together from scratch, starting with an otherwise nekkid 13 acre hay field. Along the way, every step has been a battle. Two purchase settlements. Two building permit applications. Two land surveys (and two surveyors). Two perc approvals. Two insurance companies. Two barn companies. Two builders. Multiple lawyers. About 8 different excavators. I even lost my day job in the middle of it all, and am now with a different employer. My van got shmushed twice in ice storms. My computer died. My wonderful vet moved (several states) away. Two tries tiling the woodstove corner. An unexpected winter spring surfaced down by the barn, shutting down the hydrant and seeping under the floor of the feed room and aisle, requiring additional ditching in direst February conditions. Permanent flooding in my side pasture that runs the entire length of my property (though fortunately not a wide swath) from what we all thought would be temporary/seasonal overflow from the well. The current jinx is the house water supply -- after many tests, and adjustments, and more tests, apparently the nice clear water from my surprise artesian well may not be treatable (thanks to bizarre chemical composition) and I may have to put in a second well. (Water this weird and bad is unheard of anywhere in the area, so a second well may be worth gambling on. Eventually.) And now, the economy tanking, while I'm stuck with... two houses and a ticking bridge loan. Sheesh.

Maybe I'm crazy for sticking with it, but (a) once I was committed, I didn't have much choice; and B) every time I get one of these obstacles sorted out, the results in the end have been great. If it's true that you value things more when you've had to fight for them, I've found my eternal heart's home and no mistake.

Anyway, that's how the last two places found names. Before then, I lived in suburbia and didn't bother. :-)

Liz S