BC Boards

Invisible Fence

Does anyone use an electric invisible fence with their Border Collies and have they had good luck with it? I had a previous dog and he did great, never broke the invisible line even when it was turned off.

Do you think a Border Collie puppy could be taught to not cross the line, or do you feel the breed is too smart or hyper to keep contained with out a real fence?

Thanks,

Harley's Dad

I use an invisible fence in addition to my existing fence and am not sure I would personally trust it without the actual barrier even though I know many swear by it. My two escape artists are very driven and if they didn't have to dig or jump, I'm sure would learn to close their eyes and jump over an invisible line. And then they would be stuck outside because somehow the same tenacity is not reversed to get back in the house.

But that's my dogs.

I would also be hesitant about using the collar on a puppy but I will confess to being a complete wuss.

So...I don't think it's 100% and you always have to wonder if something goes by that makes them want to risk it all. Also, I don't think it's particularly breed specific but more personality specific. I have two BC' mixes that do not wear the collar and I literally have to leash and ask for a heal to get them to leave the property. Once they're out, they're fine, but they've learned to respect their boundaries very well. Another small mix thinks the world (and all our neighbors) belong to him.

So that's my two cents...probably not very helpful. Sorry.

Maria

From what I understand, the best way to get an Invisible Fence is to go with the name-brand and not an imitation and to follow the training program exactly, and then to do refresh training. I believe that Invisible Fence strongly suggests that the fence not be used with any dog under 6 months old.

I don't use one and won't be using one in the future. My goal with a fence is to keep other dogs off my own property as well as keeping mine at home (though they do not go outside without me) and so we will be doing a post & rail with mesh along the inside.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

Allie+Tess&Kipp made an excellent point:

I don't use one and won't be using one in the future. My goal with a fence is to keep other dogs off my own property as well as keeping mine at home
Our local animal shelter's dispatcher says that they impound dogs wearing electric-fence collars all the time.

I wouldn't ever use one on a pup. Only on an adult dog if ever (usually as a backup for a regular fence).

The biggest problem (and why I don't like them) is that one time the dog might see a cat/bird/etc. and run out without thinking. Then they are to scared to come back through.

The other thing is that unlike a solid fence, it does nothing to keep other animals (or people for that matter) out. Way to many BCs are getting stolen/attacked these days. :rolleyes:

We have an invisible fence for Scout. It works great for us, but Scout is a very compliant dog, and he is very sensitive to pain or someone being mad at him. We got the name brand, went through the training just as recommended, and Scout is never outside in the IF area without us.

Someone said on another thread that you can't use it until 6 months old.

I Have hade IF SINCE 1996 OR 1997! My lab went threw it twice man many years ago then i started to train the boundries once a month and she and all my other dogs have never gone threw it.

I have 3 acers I LOVE IT BUT MY DOGS ARE NEVER OUTSIDE UN SUPERVISED. i have 4 dogs on it now .

I would not have a dog less than 6 months on it . The key is to reinforce the training

LOL bobh

• 3 weeks later...

We have a real fence but short and the brand Invisible Fence. Curly the BC knows when his collar is not on and did jump once. Sometimes I forget b/c he really minds the fence. We followed the training exactly and do refreshers. the Aussie, Shep knows the boundaries big time. He exaggerates the fact. I think it's a great product along with a real fence to keep other things out. Also if you get it get the battery plan.

Good luck

Kim

I live out in the boonies. An IF would not be of benefit to me. I have too many wild critters and they have learned that the fenced part is where the dogs are and they have stayed out. Plus, there is a group of marauding dogs that come around now and again. So, an IF would not help keep them out, unless I catch them and fit them with a collar! LOL