BC Boards

Blue Eyes and other recessive traits.

I'm trying to find out more about the problems Jin might have being a one blue eyed dog. Some of the things I've heard say he could have both vision and hearing problems but I have not been able to find anything to confirm or deny this. The forums search function won't let me search for "Blue Eye" because the search strings are <4 characters. I guess this is one place where charqcters do matter.

Pleah?

If you google 'dog one eye blue' there is loads of information.

Also 'heterochromia' gives much information.

The blue eye is usually due to white factoring which is inherited. The lack of pigment can occur in the eye and the ear. When the pigment is very deficient, there can be less function of the eye or ear, BUT very rarely, and usually due to double white factors inherited from both parents. The merle gene is a dilution gene also, and can cause deficient pigment, but not usually a problem unless the dog has inherited the gene from each parent. You can usually tell when there is a problem. Testing is available if you are keen and worried with symptoms. Have fun and forgeddaboudit.

Some Border Collies have the gene for blue eyes. That gene is completely unrelated to their coat color (though is often inherited with certain colors because of proximity on the chromosome). Sometimes dogs who are genetically brown eyed will have blue eyes because the cells that make pigment fail to migrate to the eyes. The same cause, lack of pigment cells in the ear, can also cause them to be deaf. There are plenty of classic marked, brown eyed dogs born deaf. Most blue eyed, white headed dogs have normal hearing. Having blue eyes or white ears does not automatically mean the dog is deaf, but it does mean that a dog is more likely to be deaf.

Both of mine have one blue and white fur. Not searching for that look, it just happend. I fell in love with their personality first. Lucia is pink pigmented (pink ears, skin, eyelids, pink pads, etc) and Grady is black pigmented (black ear canals, black pads, black/mottled skin, etc). Neither show any signs of sight or deafness issues. Although Lucia has a selest deafness thing going on when it comes to small fuzzy creatures :rolleyes:

I think it really depends on the genetics more than the color.

IMG_5375-1.jpg

IMG_5871-1.jpg

I've never gotten a dog for looks. I've certainly never had a dog with a single blue eye before. It's so cool I never get tired of looking at that face. Photographically the blue eye is a total winner. The reason I asked in the first place is because a lot of people I talk to seem to think that the single blue eye is the sing of a defective gene. the only defective gene I know is my sister Jeanne. :rolleyes::D However having I like having answers and being able to give them one that straightens out the rumors is always a good thing. As a tour guide you would be amazed at how much mis-information I here. snakes are aggressive for example and coyotes are responsible for taking the majority of pets (not true owls, hawks and other raptors are).

I get all sorts of weird questions about the blue eye. Blindness, injury, deafness, etc. My favorite is "why did it change that color" :D It's also funny to see the wierd looks I get when I tell them they are PB and not husky mixes. I just tell people they are special, that's why they only have one :D

I agree about the naive thing. Being a park ranger, I'm sure I see as much ignorance as you do. It's amazing sometimes :rolleyes: At least we have job security, right?! :D

Shiner has one brown and one marbled eye, and my sheltie has one blue and one brown. People do ask me about it alot, especially with my sheltie, they ask if they are part husky or if they're blind in the blue eye. Neither has any hearing or vision problems.

The marbled eye...

DSCN1709.jpg

Sky has two ice blue eyes. I was completely unprepared for all the questions about deafness and blindness. What?? So I searched on the trusty BCBoards and learned even more amazing stuff! :)

Sky can see things very far away, and her hearing is super excellent, except when it becomes "selective" on occasion. :)

One thing I was wondering about, though, are dogs with light blue eyes possibly more prone to cataracts? Does anyone know about that?

I get all sorts of weird questions about the blue eye. Blindness, injury, deafness, etc. My favorite is "why did it change that color" :D It's also funny to see the wierd looks I get when I tell them they are PB and not husky mixes. I just tell people they are special, that's why they only have one :D

I agree about the naive thing. Being a park ranger, I'm sure I see as much ignorance as you do. It's amazing sometimes :rolleyes: At least we have job security, right?! :D

Tommy looks a lot like your dog - she has the black mask (only she has tri markings) and black ears. She has one black leg with a brown stripe. And both of her eyes are brown. She also has some black spots. I know that the mostly white dogs are not preferred for working but I love the way she looks.

Sky can see things very far away, and her hearing is super excellent, except when it becomes "selective" on occasion.

I can state unequivocally that there is no such thing as selective hearing. I know I've experimented with it. They hear you just fine. It's just that they are "actively ignoring" you. :rolleyes:

Tommy looks a lot like your dog - she has the black mask (only she has tri markings) and black ears. She has one black leg with a brown stripe. And both of her eyes are brown. She also has some black spots. I know that the mostly white dogs are not preferred for working but I love the way she looks.

Pictures!!! :rolleyes:

I once asked Alasdair if he felt Ben's one blue eye hindered him in any way. He didn't think so. The reason I asked is I have two different colored eyes. One brown and one green. Not sure if it hinders my sight, but I have always been told I'm unbalanced.

I'm trying to find out more about the problems Jin might have being a one blue eyed dog. Some of the things I've heard say he could have both vision and hearing problems but I have not been able to find anything to confirm or deny this. The forums search function won't let me search for "Blue Eye" because the search strings are <4 characters. I guess this is one place where charqcters do matter.

Pleah?

Go to Greg Ackland's site and read it. It is very informative and gets away from all the BS. Bob

Go to Greg Ackland's site and read it. It is very informative and gets away from all the BS. Bob

Do you mean...

Greg Ackland the artist or

Greg Ackland the race car driver or

Greg Ackland the engineer or

Greg Ackland the photographer.

Sorry no dog sites with the name Greg Ackland attached to it in a Google search. A link would be helpful.

I read once about a kennel selectively breeding for blue eyes on classically marked BCs. I thought it was kind of stupid, the dogs weren't blind, they also went for like the yin yang appearance.

I dont think I could probably positively contribute to anything that would help give you information about blindness, except maybe CERF. I know there exams are like $20 a year or something and they should have a thing on their website to help you find someone in your area (if you want him checked out for blindness) I think its BAER for deafness. I think what everyone else has said is pretty accurate though, I have seen a lot of BCs with blue eyes and white ears not be deaf/blind. Better safe then sorry though!

The thing about the breeder I just thought was kind of weird/interesting.

Diane

The reason I asked is I have two different colored eyes. One brown and one green. Not sure if it hinders my sight, but I have always been told I'm unbalanced.

You realize that you left yourself wide open on this one? It's taking all I have to not take advantage of you here...

Try THIS

Ah! the Baker Institute at the School of Vetinary medicine at Cornell University and the correct spelling of Dr, Gregory M. Acland's name. :rolleyes: I should have known. :D Stupid me. :D

Thank you very much Jodi. It made for some very interesting reading although there was a lot to look through. The upshot of it was; while normally not a problem if you're not sure about your dogs vision or hearing have your dog tested.