BC Boards

Large Breed Dog Food

Alex and her 2 Lab brothers eat the same food, Innova Adult Dog Food. Today BF picked up a bag of Innova Large Breed Adult Dog Food because the cost is better. The 2 Labs are 80 lbs. and 110 lbs. Alex is 43 lbs. Did a little research and so far I can't see where it will hurt her to eat Large Breed, but I'm a bit unsure. Would like the get the expertise and opinions of the people here before she starts eating it.

Thanks,

Esox

All of my dogs, ranging in weight from around 45-90 pounds eat large breed, in fact I've been starting them on large breed puppy as well. Large breeds are usually considered around 50+ pounds or 55+ and I lean towards the larger dogs for sledding so most of mine are "large breed". The main differences I see between the regular and the large breed formulas, in the brand I choose, is that the large breed has added glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and lower fat. I think the regular adult food is something like 26% protein and 16% fat, the large breed is 26% protein and 12% fat. The large breed puppy food is considered to be a controlled growth formula so they don't grow too fast. When the dogs are in training and they're working harder I also use a high energy formula which is 30% protein and 20% fat. I don't switch most of them right over though, on non-working days I'll mix it half and half with their other food and on the days they're working I'll feed all high energy. When they're not in training they just get the large breed adult. And the fatties that don't work, they stick with the lower fat large breed adult.

I fed Daisy a large breed puppy food when I got her. We didn't quite know which way she'd go...Malamute or BC. She did just fine on it. As silhouettestable said, the only difference usually is the "extras" they put in it for joint health. I would imagine Alex would be fine. You might have to monitor for a while to make sure you feed just the right amount.

Jake started off on Purnia Pro Puppy Chow, for 6 weeks (vet recommendation) since the shelter had been feeding he, his brother, and Mom whatever donations where brought into the shelter. The bags of food were just dumped into a large trash can all mixed up. We've been feeding Large Breed Puppy Buffalo Blue for the past month. We switched after doing some personal research. He is doing very well on it. Dry skin issues resolved and much less poo to clean up in the yard! Oh and LOADS of energy, but, he is a puppy... :D Sorry, I don't know the protein to fat ratio since I dumped the bag into a food storage bin. I am all for NOT feeding animal by-products. My DH works for a rendering/recycling company, and you don't want to know what goes into some pet food. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm not sure it is slowing his growth or not. At 10 weeks he was 11 lbs and now at 20 wks he weighs 22lbs. Can any one let me know if this is a proper weight gain for a BC? To me, he looks HUGE compared to 2.5 months ago. :D

I know I didn't answer your question, but these more experienced owners are sure to have the answers.