BC Boards

behavior experts, to a fault

Torque is so serious about agility that he and I have run courses with one friend as a bar-setter and one as a leash runner, and he totally ignores them. For him, agility is a serious job.

Once out of the ring, he 'demands' affection. Out and about at stores, vet's office, etc., he 'eyes' them, wiggles his butt, does his woo-woo, scoots on his butt to go over to see people, rolls on his back, leans into their legs, crawls up their side -- whatever it takes. I have seen people try to ignore him, but he is so shameless that heconvinces them that he is deserving of their attention and manages to snag a few pets. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just laughed at her. We would have Q'd easily if not for that. Summer has always been the biggest social butterfly and it's pretty precious to me. Summer has always loved agility for the social scene- all her friends are there to tell her how amazing she is! She's a simple little thing but very kind and sweet.

My other two- one is antisocial and the other is friendly but less obnoxious about it. Though he lets out a cattle dog scream when he sees his friends he likes the best. The antisocial one can be a pain because she worries a lot and it's a lot more management to take her places. As a pet, she's the best for me because I love how she is so attune to me. But especially for sports having a more outgoing confident dog is easier imo.

Banner, I think you hit the nail on the head. Why should intelligent, hardworking dogs like Border Collies put up with doofy dogs? ;)

Why, indeed. Or for that matter, why should you or I?

Coming in late to the discussion (as I often seem to do) but just wanted to weigh in my agreement with Geonni's comments on hugging and so on. I find it somewhat horrifying, being the basic introvert that I am, and will back up rapidly with my arms held out to forestall such contact unless it is one of the very small handful of people in my life with whom I share such physical intimacy. My dogs are friendly, but I tend to hold people off them as well, telling them that my dog is friendly but please don't come down on top of him and approach him slowly. Usually that is interpreted as my having said that my dog might bite, which is of course not the case; I do that so that my dog is approached with some respect. My dogs sleep in bed with me and cuddle with me and I am not crazy about the idea of just anyone on the street putting their hands all over them. When that does happen I tend to wipe them down when we get home.