BC Boards

I'm ready to REDOG myself... Assistance? Leads?

Howdy,

I lost my old boy Buddy in February. It took seven weeks before I could think about having another dog, but the tide has turned and I'm ready. (You might even say I have dog fever!)

I will finish my school (work) year end of June, and will likely be bringing a new dog home then. I did fall in love with border collies because of Buddy, and while I know I will fall in love with whatever dog I choose, I'm still drawn to BCs.

Buddy was fear-reactive and taught me a lot about dealing with dogs like that. I think it would be nice to be able to use the skills I learned and also the quiet, calm home I have to help another, similar dog. On the other hand, I'd be happy to learn something new, and am considering deaf dogs, too. (Training with hand signals - sounds very interesting!)

I have my eyes on all my local shelters and the rescue groups. Around here, there are loads of pit bull and chihuahua mixes... and few border collies. (A lot of the ones advertised as BCs look like beagle/lab or hound mixes.)

I like to walk in the woods, and for 10 years I walked Buddy twice a day - on leash in the morning and then off leash in the woods or a park in the afternoon. (Later, when he got old and arthritic, he needed a lot less running, though!) I'm never going to compete in agility or herd sheep with my dog... though there would be lots of walks. So, I guess I'm looking for a medium-energy dog who maybe wouldn't "make the cut" for herding work or agility work - a dog who doesn't have the proper drive.

I'm putting this information out there in the hopes that maybe someone in the New England area knows of a dog like the one I'm looking for... a "failed" herding dog, or a deaf dog, or a very shy dog who needs TLC and time. I can't bear the thought of adopting a senior dog and losing another friend too quickly - but recognize that since I work full-time, a puppy probably isn't the best choice. A young adult (1 - 3 years) would be ideal.

Anyway, if anyone hears of a dog like the one I'm looking for, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I know people don't "know me" - but my posts from my years with Buddy pretty much tell the story.

Thanks in advance! :)

I know I am not saying anything you haven't read here before, but I suggest contacting your regional BC rescues (NEBCR and Glen Highland?) to let them know what type of dog you are looking for (and your experience with Buddy, living situation, etc.). They may have a dog in their 'system' that is not yet up on their website that will fit you, and they may keep you in mind as new dogs are added and will contact you once they have a suitable candidate.

Good Luck. Looking forward to seeing the new family member!

Definitely look into New England Border Collie Rescue http://nebcr.org/ and/or Glen Highland Farm http://glenhighlandfarm.com/

Depending on where in New England you are, Mid-Atlantic Border collie Rescue might also be an option. http://www.mabcr.org/

GHF still has some confiscated dogs who'd fit the bill of a dog that needs some TLC.

Best wishes in your search. Any dog who comes your way will be very lucky indeed.

I never ended up getting a dog through GHF but twice had appointments to go, and on both occasions I found Lily very approachable and had good chats on the phone. I would contact NEBCR, they have some great volunteers but I found there de-centralized adoption system a little unwieldy. I would also search pet finder as full border collies do show up in New England shelters, 2 of my fosters came from a shelter in Maine.

NEBCR's system of dogs in foster homes is the more normal way most rescues operate. GHF's having a central location with dogs on site is unusual, though it can be convenient if you want to see more than one dog.

Sometimes it's possible to arrange for a foster home to bring the dog to meet you part way, but the belief is that your willingness to travel to meet the dog is an indicator of a potential adopter's commitment. Yes, it might be inconvenient, but it's not exactly convenient for a foster home to foster and care for a dog for weeks or even months, either. ;) Few rescues have the luxury of a farm where they can create a complete rescue operation. It's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

:)

Thanks for your replies and confidence in me!

I have got my eyes on NEBCR and Glen Highland Farm. (GHF is like my childhood dream of what the ideal home/job would be!!) I will check if they have dogs for whom full-time work hours are OK. (Darned retirement is still 5 years away!)

Julie and others... Please keep me in mind should you hear of other dogs with special situations. I really appreciate it.

NEBCR's system of dogs in foster homes is the more normal way most rescues operate. GHF's having a central location with dogs on site is unusual, though it can be convenient if you want to see more than one dog.

Sometimes it's possible to arrange for a foster home to bring the dog to meet you part way, but the belief is that your willingness to travel to meet the dog is an indicator of a potential adopter's commitment. Yes, it might be inconvenient, but it's not exactly convenient for a foster home to foster and care for a dog for weeks or even months, either. ;) Few rescues have the luxury of a farm where they can create a complete rescue operation. It's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

A little misunderstanding of what I meant.. Many rescues have a central coordinator who knows the dogs they have in foster and who can suggest dogs that might be suitable for what you are looking for in a dog. With NEBCR once you are approved you contact the indivual foster home, so you have to rely on the write ups to decide which dog might be for you.

Gentlelake, you might have to fight me for Spirit. I've had my eye on her for a month now... she's actually what got me thinking about a deaf dog. I think I stumbled onto the Facebook page of her foster mom, though, and a couple posts indicated "adoption pending" for Spirit. She is so beautiful, and looks so sweet.

I really should wait until school ends - the last few weeks are chaotic and time-consuming, and my schedule is not regular or predictable - not a great time to bring in a dog who needs consistency to settle into a new home. Otherwise, I might have grabbed that pretty girl already. (It stinks being an adult and making mature decisions based on the best interest of all parties!)

Mary, I don't have any advice for finding a new companion that isn't already being given. I just wanted to say I'm so happy that you're getting another dog! Can't wait to 'meet' your new girl or boy - who will be a very, very lucky dog to have come to live with you . . .

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Hmmm. Spirit's not marked as pending on the NEBCR site. I'll ask the FH what her status is.

Sadly (for me), you won't have to fight me for her. I've got a 17 1/2 yo.o who takes up a lot of my time and emotional energy (and money) ATM. So I'm making the adult responsible decision: no new dogs while she's still with me. And we were just at the vet and it doesn't look like she's going anywhere anytime soon (though realistically I know she could just not wake up any day now).

I'll LYK what I find out about Spirit. I'll PM you.

A little misunderstanding of what I meant.. Many rescues have a central coordinator who knows the dogs they have in foster and who can suggest dogs that might be suitable for what you are looking for in a dog. With NEBCR once you are approved you contact the indivual foster home, so you have to rely on the write ups to decide which dog might be for you.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, with NEBCR the FH always has the final say in an adoption. They know their dogs best.

But most of us have a pretty good idea of what the all the dogs are like, and it's not unusual for a FH to refer an interested adopter to another dog in another FH if they think it might be a better match.

Gentlelake, you might have to fight me for Spirit. I've had my eye on her for a month now... she's actually what got me thinking about a deaf dog. I think I stumbled onto the Facebook page of her foster mom, though, and a couple posts indicated "adoption pending" for Spirit. She is so beautiful, and looks so sweet.

I really should wait until school ends - the last few weeks are chaotic and time-consuming, and my schedule is not regular or predictable - not a great time to bring in a dog who needs consistency to settle into a new home. Otherwise, I might have grabbed that pretty girl already. (It stinks being an adult and making mature decisions based on the best interest of all parties!)

I am stepping into my 'enabler' role :rolleyes: ---

If Spirit is a match for you, go for it. At least see if she could be a match for you.

I volunteer for BRBCR and know of several adoptions where the foster home kept the dog for a bit of extra time (reasonable period of time) until the adopter was able to take the dog. It is more important to find the dog the best home possible, than to worry about moving the dog out the door to an adopter that can take it right away.

For example: It will probably take a few days to a couple weeks for you to be checked out (reference checks and home visit) since that is dependent on the available spare time of the volunteers. Then you will meet Spirit to see if you two are a match. At that point, we (BRBCR) will usually allow the adopter to take the dog home, but I know of a couple of adoptions personally (foster dogs that I had) and I am sure many more cases, where the adopter wasn't quite ready to take the dog so the FH agreed to keep the dog for a while longer. In my cases, the longest was a week. But I know of another foster who agreed to keep the dog almost an extra month while the adopters took a 2 week vacation (which had been planned several months before).

You can get the ball rolling NOW on determining if Spirit is a good match for you, even though you will not be ready to bring her home for a month. It is very possible that if the rescue, the foster home and you are patient enough to wait a month, Spirit might be the one for you!

Good Luck!

I just wanted to say I'm so happy that you're getting another dog!

Thanks so much! Perhaps I shouldn't admit this but... one of the reasons I feel happiest about getting another BC is that I know I would be able to maintain my online relationships in this forum! The people in here really, really helped me in the early days with Buddy. In fact, what success I had in managing his early issues is largely due to Suzanne Clothier, Patricia McConnell, and the collective knowledge of this forum! (Long-overdue thanks for that - if I haven't said it before!)

(Also, Ruth, reading stories about your Gibb finally moving toward strangers with hope and good expectations has made me very happy, recalling the days when Buddy started doing that. Witnessing the expectation of treats and kindness is such a happy surprise after years of seeing trepidation!)

What Jovi said.

It's not unusual for a FH to hold a dog for a while (again, a reasonable while) for the right adopter when there's a good reason.

And she's also right that the application and preliminary process will take up a bit of that time as well.

Just don't inquire about a dog from NEBCR until you have an approved app on file. They do ask specifically that people don't do that and FHs aren't allowed to give information on a dog to anyone unless they do have an approved app.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to help a local woman rehome her young adult male BC from her hobby farm, where he is not getting the interaction and training he needs. It sounds like you have a lot of great leads in your area, but if you would like more info and photos, I'd be happy to send you my write-up.

And I know Kentucky is quite a ways away, but I, too, teach and will have time for a road trip soon. :)

Thanks so much for the leads and the positive thoughts. :)

I am trying SO HARD to be utterly practical about this. Practical me says, "No puppies, no super-young dogs. You work full time!"

But impractical, whimsical me says, "That young BC is SO BEAUTIFUL! And the puppies are SO CUTE!" ;D

AIIEE!

I have been trying to help a local woman rehome her young adult male BC from her hobby farm, where he is not getting the interaction and training he needs. It sounds like you have a lot of great leads in your area, but if you would like more info and photos, I'd be happy to send you my write-up.

And I know Kentucky is quite a ways away, but I, too, teach and will have time for a road trip soon. :)

Al, I'd love to see your write-up. I tried to send you a PM, but it says you can't receive new messages? (Maybe your box is full?)

Thanks!